RM Signed For - Not Received

Options
Just been cautious, as it could still arrive and be updated but just asking in advance.

I sold an item and posted it Friday 18th by RM signed for 2nd class, I’m aware I get no tracking but should get a signature on delivery.

The lad that bought my item has said to me this morning it hasn’t arrived and by looking online it just says “we’ve got it” so no signature yet.

I’ve had issues in the past where there was technical issues and they couldn’t display a signature.

However if this was the case again, how do I prove they received it when there’s no signature on the track and trace and that’s the reason I sent by signed for so I got proof of delivery.

If they opened a item not received I would have no signature to prove it??

Thanks.

Comments

• charlies_mum
    Options
    Unless you get a signature you won't have any hope of winning an INR case

However, I find some second class takes much longer to arrive than eBay's forecast. Are they in Scotland, or an area that may be affected by snow ?

Apologise to your buyer, confirm that it was posted and say that it should arrive shortly
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That’s what I thought.

He’s in Wales.

I have offered to send him a screenshot of the receipt with his address and tracking number on, I also updated the tracking information when it was dispatched too.

I will apologise and hope it arrives soon.

This is what I hate about RM as this is the 3rd time in about 6 months where I have used signed for and received no signature. I’m not sure why I’m paying for a service I am not receiving.

Fingers crossed it still shows up.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MarkN88 wrote: »

This is what I hate about RM as this is the 3rd time in about 6 months where I have used signed for and received no signature. I’m not sure why I’m paying for a service I am not receiving.
    I'm sure soolin has posted that she has successfully claimed back the difference between signed for and standard post cost when it hasn't updated properly.

Is it really worth paying the extra for recorded? If you are sending parcels, the PO label has a code that shows delivery in the same way as signed for. SF does increase the compensation level from £20 to £50, but a lot of people decide to take the risk and find that the extra Pound a parcel saved more than pays for the occasional losses.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I often pay to use SF when the item is over a certain amount. I tend to do it for this exact reason that if someone claims they have not received I have proof to say otherwise.

Therefore when I use the service I expect a signature for the proof of delivery.

If he then goes on to claim not received and I don’t have the signature I’m going to have to refund the money and also lose the item.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd also ask the buyer if somebody is *always* at the address to sign for deliveries as that is how you sent it. If the address is not 100% attended then you run the risk of it being attempted twice then returned to the local DO and if the postman doesn't leave a card, or the card goes missing or is picked up by someone else at the address who fails to mention it etc etc there are a multitude of reasons why this can go wrong....
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yeah very true but I always state on the postage section that it’s Royal Mail signed for services used when I’m going to use it for certain items so it should be their responsibility to check this too and make sure they will be at home.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yeah very true but I always state on the postage section that it’s Royal Mail signed for services used when I’m going to use it for certain items so it should be their responsibility to check this too and make sure they will be at home.

It should be their responsibility but of course a PayPal or eBay claim would suggest the seller is at fault and buyer would get a refund.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Wholly unrealistic to believe people should 'make sure they will be at home'. They are hardly going to sit indoors for a week waiting.

If the item isn't delivered, you claim against RM, so what's the issue? You surely won't have used signed for for an item worth more than £50, so you'll get the whole amount back.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Snow in many parts of Wales currently too
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    I'm sure soolin has posted that she has successfully claimed back the difference between signed for and standard post cost when it hasn't updated properly.
    I have done this more than once when the item was delivered but no signature was taken.
    Marcon wrote: »
    If the item isn't delivered, you claim against RM, so what's the issue? You surely won't have used signed for for an item worth more than £50, so you'll get the whole amount back.
    Correct. If it's not showing as delivered, then after 15 working days (I think) you claim back from RM as lost. The online process even tells you to submit eBay evidence of value. It takes a while but you should end up with RM paying out.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure