Interrent/Goldcar/Europecar SCAM

2»

Comments

• peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2019 at 2:49AM
    EssexExile wrote: »
    That's probably because you had CDW so there was no risk to the company. I've been renting cars since the 60s & never had a problem, probably for the same reason.
    Sorry, I don't understand that point. Don't all hires come with a basic form of so-called CDW cover with a deductible excess?

They all come with statutory Third Party insurance and I would be most surprised not to see a basic CDW insurance also included as standard with all comparative rates?

I thank the OP for this post - I have experienced Goldcar in the dim distant past (never again), but had no idea they might be linked to Europcar now.

If these reports are true, I don't understand what they are playing at beyond collecting personal dat! which might aid the selling on of any alleged "debt". Does that company make a habit of accusing we customers of damage you haven't done, and a corresponding habit of selling the "debt" to third party collectors or at least using third parties to do the collections whilst earning a sizeable cut?

Weird.

I won't dare touch them with a bargepole now :rotfl:
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    CJSimmo wrote: »
    ...... The only alternative was to return to the Interrent/Goldcar desk and agree to take out their insurance and that resulted in a “no questions asked” solution. This cost me an extra £130, I did not need to take out this insurance as I already had a yearly agreement,.........

If you have a yearly insurance covering CDW excess and uninsured losses etc (as I do) then don't you carry the documents with you to show to the rental company? Those docs will have your name and address on...
    In any event 'everyone' knows not to go near Goldcar....
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2019 at 10:23AM
    mgdavid wrote: »
    If you have a yearly insurance covering CDW excess and uninsured losses etc (as I do) then don't you carry the documents with you to show to the rental company? Those docs will have your name and address on...
    In any event 'everyone' knows not to go near Goldcar....
    This is another example of the car hire insurance jargon term "CDW" almost used in the wrong place. 'Uninsured Loss' gets closer to what we are talking about in that yes it is primarily the uninsured deductible excess within the car hire company's standard CDW offer which is insured by the type of annual policy you mention. However, such policies do not (to my instant recall) cover a multitude of other "everyday" uninsured losses e.g. the cost of an alternative vehicle following an accident?

And no, I have never had a car hire company ask to see mine. Besides, mine hasn't made it on to any sheet of paper for years, and if it did could I not easily forge it digitally to show any address I fancied?
  • nilocmac
    nilocmac Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think I am a victim of Goldcar. I managed to navigate the id stuff and was pleasantly surprised (first time I was ever asked for a bank statement but had it with me just incase). I was told there was some damage to the car and as it was dark to itemise it myself and send pictures before 11am the following day which I did.
    I had to leave the car back before the rental desk opened but I knew all should be ok. However just got a charge on my credit card for £102.75. Phoned up and it was excess mileage. I was allowed 90 miles per day for 5 days and apparently, I had gone over this. At the most, I did just over 100 miles as I was with my nephew in the hospital a lot of the time. What seems to have happened is they put the incorrect mileage down in the handover documents (my suspicion is that it was the mileage before the previous rental). I was more focused on the damage than the mileage but however, when I got in the car I noticed it had just over 10000 miles. They claim it had 9600.
    I phoned up and the guy was not the most helpful but pointed me to the website where I could raise a ticket. So that is in process. I have just gone on here and noticed the negative reviews of Goldcar so I am not optimistic.
    I can prove my limited movements as I have google location services on my phone but just wonder how much energy and time I want to use arguing over £100.
    Lesson learned not going back there :-(
  • Hi, Nilocmac.
    Sorry to hear of your experience. I always take photos of the mileage when I get the car and at the end and a pic of the petrol receipt. It’s all a big hassle and I do hope you get satisfaction. We still await a reply from our credit card company.
    Bon chance ! 🤞
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    peterbaker wrote: »
    This is another example of the car hire insurance jargon term "CDW" almost used in the wrong place. 'Uninsured Loss' gets closer to what we are talking about in that yes it is primarily the uninsured deductible excess within the car hire company's standard CDW offer which is insured by the type of annual policy you mention. However, such policies do not (to my instant recall) cover a multitude of other "everyday" uninsured losses e.g. the cost of an alternative vehicle following an accident?

And no, I have never had a car hire company ask to see mine. Besides, mine hasn't made it on to any sheet of paper for years, and if it did could I not easily forge it digitally to show any address I fancied?

Yes, I think this is covered by 'loss of use of the Rental vehicle' and mine does cover me for this. The value of a claim under this clause will be the daily rental cost, which will be broadly the cost of a replacement vehicle.
    I'm also covered for windows, tyres, wheels, headlights, undercarriage and roof. Also towing & recovery costs following accident damage or breakdown.
    There is a note advising to take a printed copy of the Certificate and Policy doc with you, just as there is with my Travel Insurance.
    Common sense really, such a small amount of effort to save such a potentially large amount of hassle should the worst happen.
    I couldn't possibly comment on your abilities as a master forger.... ;)
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • nilocmac
    nilocmac Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 January 2019 at 7:34PM
    Managed to get a refund of £68.75 through just lodging a complaint on their website. So have decided to cut my losses and run. Life is too short.
    #youliveandlearn
  • There is a note advising to take a printed copy of the Certificate and Policy doc with you. There are many things that are valued to rent a car
  • Bramblekins
    Bramblekins Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 July 2019 at 6:16PM
    I have just returned from Majorca and found I have been charged £165 for insurance I wasn’t offered and did not agree to as I had already purchased insurance before I went on holiday. Gold car are THIEVES.
    AVOID THIS COMPANY AS THEY WILL STEAL OFF YOU!!!!!!!
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    I have just returned from Majorca and found I have been charged £165 for insurance I wasn’t offered and did not agree to as I had already purchased insurance before I went on holiday. Gold car are THIEVES.
    AVOID THIS COMPANY AS THEY WILL STEAL OFF YOU!!!!!!!

Did you leave an authorisation for the excess on your credit card or let them take the deposit from your debit card?
    If they had the authorisation/took a deposit, they would have no basis for charging for their excess waiver.
    However, if you declined to let them place a block on a portion of your credit or for them to take the deposit, that is why they needed to charge you for the excess waiver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure