Flight Compensation for Heart Attack

Hi Everyone...

Apologies if I should not have started a new thread but I couldn't see anywhere this would go.

If anyone with any experience can shed some light on all of this we'd really appreciate it.

Bit of a complicated situation but my parents were to come on holiday with us last year in July to Alicante. My father took a heart attack on 9th July and was deemed unfit to flight on the Wed 11th July we were to fly out early hours of Friday morning 13th July.

I phoned Easyjet and cancelled their flights (himself and my mother). Easyjet said this wasnt a problem and we did "even have to tell them....?" anyway they said they could sort the refund out with their "medical team" or we could put it through my mums travel insurance.

Anyway later in the year (father was in hospital for 3 months and had to have surgery twice. So no one was in any mood to sort anything out until November) we contacted Easyjet who asked for a form to be filled in (through their chat system which it was was sent back to them in the meantime the travel insurance are asking for a No Show invoice" which Easyjet provided BUT for the wrong flight!!

The sent an email saying a flight "cancelled upon request" which was one booked at the very start but we paid cancellation fees and changed to a different flight because of accommodation problems.

We had originally booked flights in Sept 2017 for July 2018 to Alicante and they were cancelled. Fair enough but Easyjet are insisting they refunded the first flights to a credit card and not a debit card which they were booked under..

No credit card was ever used for any booking and they have yet to mention the actual flight we want refunded ie 2nd booking - seats allocated and all but parents couldn't go because of what happened to my father. This was obviously a different ref number. No trace of it on their system when I log into their site.

They are insisting they refunded a flight (very first flight book) that we never took to a card we never used...?

Only thing that was refunded on the right booking was £26.00 which I think is airport tax...?

I know this all sounds confusing but I have now emailed 10 times and even sent 7 attachments to try and sort this out and my mums bank statement to prove how and when the flights were paid with a debit card and they have suddenly stopped replying to an emails since last Friday.

Somehow they seem to have my credit card details on file and are saying the flight was booked through my credit card yet my mums debit card was used for all bookings including my families - how can this be...?

Even though I know this wasnt the case I phoned by cc company anyway and they have confirmed my credit card has never been used for any Easyjet bookings.

It appears someone has made a right mess of this refund and no one seems to want to own up to it. Every reply to an email is from someone different.

They wont give us the correct "No show" document so can we ask out travel insurance to get it from them - is this usually done this way...?

Sorry if this is a bit confusing it is to us as well - just would like to know the way forward...?

So to sum up:

Flights booked in Sept 2017 - these were cancelled due to accomodation issues.
We got sorted and re-booked everything fine until July 2018 father takes ill and cant travel. That's the flight we want compensated. Easyjet have no record of this flight on their system but DO have an old flight and are insisting they refunded that when no money was taken for it...?

Thanks for any help...

J

Comments

• Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You book a flight/holiday and someone is taken ill so you cannot go. You should claim on your travel insurance – you did have it I presume.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I believe you can probably take your case to CEDR.

It's a bit off the normal subject of 'flight delay compensation' that is discussed on this forum, but it may be worth giving them a call.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jlg1
    jlg1 Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi.. I understand its been moved but I cant find it.. Coukd you tell me where its been moved to...?

Thanks a lot

James
  • jlg1
    jlg1 Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes thankfully my parents have travel insurance. . Ive contacted them to update them on whats happening.
    Waiting to hear back..

James
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family