First Direct Current Account Switch Blagged Deal

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,401
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    OceanSound wrote: »
    Why is it 23 days and not 21? is start and end date also counted (not counted)?

12 May 2018 to 18 June 2018 = 38 calendar days (including start date and end date)

12 May 2018 to 18 June 2018 = 25 working days (including start date and end date, but only working days counted. i.e. saturdays, sundays and Spring Bank Holiday on 28 May 2018 excluded)
    They specify seven working days, a period that must include at least one two-day weekend, so that's a minimum of nine calendar days, but their reference to 14 days doesn't specify 'working' days, so the minimum theoretical period is 9+14=23.

That's not to say that the June date offered to the poster reconciles with it being the shortest possible though, but I was just highlighting that anyone expecting to switch within 7 days of opening a FD account will be disappointed!
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 13 May 2018 at 1:34PM
    eskbanker wrote: »
    They specify seven working days, a period that must include at least one two-day weekend, so that's a minimum of nine calendar days, but their reference to 14 days doesn't specify 'working' days, so the minimum theoretical period is 9+14=23.

That's not to say that the June date offered to the poster reconciles with it being the shortest possible though, but I was just highlighting that anyone expecting to switch within 7 days of opening a FD account will be disappointed!
    The question is covered in post#25....the chap asking question in post #127 is a newbie with just two posts, so can't expect him to have gone through the whole thread (which has done some mileage), I guess :)
  • Byzar
    Byzar Posts: 32
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    https :// amp.theguardian. com/money/2018/may/13/first-direct-switch-direct-debit-seven-day-guarantee
    Is so nightmare to swith on FD? I'm thinking to cancel my switch
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 14 May 2018 at 6:02AM
    Byzar wrote: »
    https :// amp.theguardian. com/money/2018/may/13/first-direct-switch-direct-debit-seven-day-guarantee
    Is so nightmare to swith on FD? I'm thinking to cancel my switch

Open a current account with starling bank (or other bank that is participating in the switch scheme). Then phone-up First Direct (FD) and give them the new starling bank account details and tell them you wanna switch that account instead.

That way you keep your existing bank account, which you may have had for long (Time with bank is looked upon favourable by credit reference agencies), and the direct debits (DDs). The DDs you can setup manually with FD later (if you decide to stay) while at the same time cancelling DDs setup on your existing current account. It all depends how many DDs you have because it may require you to call/email/write (recorded delivery) each company to cancel a DD, which could mean a lot of faffing around.

I remember reading somewhere that it's usually not enough just to cancel a DD with your bank (without informing DD originator). Maybe that's only if you don't have another DD setup to replace current one?
  • actd
    actd Posts: 24
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OceanSound wrote: »

The logon without secure key option isn't that obvious. At least not as obvious as HSBC or Nationwide internet banking. Nationwide's full logon really does take the biscuit with debit card having to be inserted to a huge dinosaur age card reader.

I'm currently with Nationwide, and you are correct that to use the internet login, you do need the card reader (they are interchangeable between a few banks, so you can borrow someone else's from RBS, Natwest and probably a few others, if you don't have yours to hand) - however, their banking app is so good that you only need to resort to internet banking very occasionally (setting up a new payee or standing order), otherwise the app covers it all, and is very slick - and since this is where I do virtually all of my banking, FD's app just doesn't seem to compare from what I am reading. In fact, if you just want to check your balance, with Nationwide, it you give the app permission just once, you don't even need to login to check your balance or move money into a savers account.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Would I qualify for the bonus if I switched an account with zero balance, no direct debits or standing orders?
  • @Pound I!!!8217;ve just received the £125 cash bank, took 10 days from the switch.
    I switched an old account with just £200 in and didn!!!8217;t have any direct debits coming out , so none set for the new account. Maybe worth putting a few pounds in before the switch.
  • BillyBills
    BillyBills Posts: 27 Forumite
    I used to have a First Direct account but closed it cos I got an offset mortgage elsewhere. If I switched with this link would I still get the £125 or would they know that I used to be with them? They probably still have my details.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,401
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    BillyBills wrote: »
    I used to have a First Direct account but closed it cos I got an offset mortgage elsewhere. If I switched with this link would I still get the £125 or would they know that I used to be with them? They probably still have my details.
    Yes, they'd know that you'd been with them before and therefore wouldn't be eligible for the switching incentive.
  • Anyone been sucessful with this one *without* having to phone them?

I had a First Direct account a few years ago, but could never do anything useful with it as they wanted me to use phone banking. That account "expired" and I tried again about a year ago. Got my debit card through but was unable to setup online banking without phoning them, so I assume that one will go the same way as the first?

I suppose I could use the account as a donor to switch with? ;)
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport