Self assessment tax help

Options
Hello I am a bit confused if I have to pay tax yet, I started working as a sole trader in mid April 2018.
From what I have read if I started after 6th of April 2018 then I will have to pay my 2018/2019 tax at the end of January 2020? So I don't have to do a self assessment at the end of this month? Is that correct?
Also I have worked for the same company since April 2018 and will be with them for a while they sort the %20 tax out before they pay me so how will that work when it comes to do a tax return?
Thanks.

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    If you haven't been sent a 2017:18 return to complete then a business you started in 2018:19 isn't a reason to need to complete one.

If it is CIS tax then you can claim a credit for this on the self employment part of the return you will need to complete after April 2019 (and before February 2020).
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    I think you mean started after 5th of April, not 6th of April.
  • Doom906
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah I meant 5th of April.
    It is not a business I started I am working as a painter and decorator for that company if that makes any difference?
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    If it is under CIS (construction industry scheme) then you are running your own business. That is why you will need to complete a Self Assessment return.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doom906 wrote: »
    It is not a business I started I am working as a painter and decorator for that company if that makes any difference?
    no, by your own admission you are a sole trader. That means you are running a business... as a sole trade painter/decorator

as is the norm with such building trades, you fall within the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) and so "suffer" 20% (in your case) tax deduction by the main contractor for whom you do the work as their sub-contractor.

do you not have any more experienced mates who explain the basics to you? They really ought to teach this stuff as part of an apprenticeship these days :)
  • Doom906
    Options
    Ah I see thanks.
    I can ask some of the other painters when I can get back to work (broken arm at the mo)
    I was just confused when I had to do the self assessment, which I have to do after April 2019?
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, you are not required to do a self assessment until January 2020, for the tax year ended April 2019.

The good news is that most CIS workers usually get a small rebate instead of owing tax, or will owe very little at least.
  • pk04
    pk04 Posts: 2,998 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you informed HMRC that you are working as a sole trader? This should have been done when you first started
    There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne ... Bette Davis
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pk04 wrote: »
    Have you informed HMRC that you are working as a sole trader? This should have been done when you first started

If they are CIS and on 20% deductions, then they must have registered?
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    pk04 wrote: »

Unless there's a special requirement for CIS contractors that I'm unaware of, sole traders do not have to notify HMRC when they first start. You can notify HMRC up to the 6 October following the end of the tax year in which you started your business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure