getting a flight tickets refund from Carlton Leisure

Lydia1008
Lydia1008 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 22 January 2019 at 11:17PM in Flights, currency & car hire
I bought 2 BA tickets London - Las Vegas from Carlton Leisure which we had to cancel within 5 hours, because of the family circumstances. The cancellation was done the same day and before tickets were issued. Unfortunately Carlton Leisure initial response was that BA wouldn't refund the fees and later changed the story by stating that they don't honour any cancellations so we lost over £2,200, which was the full value of the tickets. This was despite BA customer service confirming on a phone that the 24 hour cooling off period for these tickets applied. Do i have any rights to get the full or a proportion of the money lost?
thank you for any advice

Comments

• dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    No, the ability to cancel within 24 hours only applies when you book direct with BA. You presumably purchased non-refundable fares so....

Travel insurance?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    as above travel insurance

you are at the mercy of carlton, it does say in their terms.. Certain tickets are non-changeable and cancellation will incur a 100% cancellation charge.

you may be able to get some tax back but there is a £75 per ticket charge by carlton

£1100 per ticket seems a lot to Vegas.

I know you dont want to hear, but this is def one of those times when booking direct with the airline would have been best
  • It's a little confusing. If you did contact and confirm the cancellation of the booking then no tickets should have been issued and no payment would have been taken. Did you receive ticket numbers? Was the cancellation by email or phone.

Aside from that it is possible to have tickets voided as long it's on the same day for pretty much all airlines. Same day being before midnight if you can get through to the TA.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I missed the bit about tickets not yet being issued. They claim in their T&Cs that tickets are issued immediately upon booking - are you sure this didn't happen? Did you cancel in writing per the T&Cs?
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Heliflyguy wrote: »
    It's a little confusing. If you did contact and confirm the cancellation of the booking then no tickets should have been issued and no payment would have been taken. Did you receive ticket numbers? Was the cancellation by email or phone.

Aside from that it is possible to have tickets voided as long it's on the same day for pretty much all airlines. Same day being before midnight if you can get through to the TA.

Agree - exactly what should happen however I suspect a lazy sales agent at a less than reputable agency simply can't be bothered to transfer the call or process the cancellation for this to happen. Far easier for them to simply say no-refund and get the caller off the line ready for the next call. These cheaper ticket floggers won't necessarily invest in staff training or even quality staff who wish to offer customer service above the very basics.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BA is one airline where you should DEFINITELY NEVER book with an OTA as they offer a double the different price promise.
  • I recently booked with Carlton Leisure London-Johannesburg and due to the current global crisis, all air travel has been cancelled and borders have been shut. I eventually got through to them regarding my travel in three days time and they have said that because I am choosing to cancel my flight I have to pay £75 per booking in order to get a refund. I purchased ticket insurance alongside the ticket so surely I should be covered as it is not a circumstance I could’ve controlled?? 
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    these third parties expect to paid for the work they will need to do to facilitate this on your behalf. whether the fees are fair/high is something to consider when you read the t&cs. (you agreed to a £75 fee for processing refund when you accepted those terms)
    Often the benefits of purchasing direct from the airline far outweighs the few £ saving on a ticket.
    You can check the policy details for your ticket insurance to see whether it reimburses admin fees
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure