Civil service - reserve list

Elinore
Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
edited 17 August 2019 at 2:00PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Hi Everyone,

I was interviewed Thursday morning and late afternoon was advised I was not successful.

I then received an email from the chair of the interview panel that said that I was placed on the reserve list. Which I had heard of after doing my research on here but it seems rarely to lead to a role being offered.

The email did mention that he wanted me on his team and due to an internal promotion a role is likely to become available very shortly at which point they will start my vetting.

Is this a standard reserve list email? - because it seemed very.... well.... optimistic for a rejection email lol

(this is my first ever foray into CS so I'm not sure how things are done and I dont want to get my hopes up if its a standard email - as I really want the job )

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    No it's not a standard reserve list letter. That would basically state that there are no current position but you will be kept on the list for a period (generally 12 months I think). The e-mail you have received has been personalised for you. It doesn't guarantee anything so I would still keep looking for work if you aren't currently employed.
  • Elinore
    Hi TELLIT01

Thank you for your reply.

I'll wait to hear then. Luckily I'm in a job and only applied for this one as it is an area I wanted to get into.

So I have the luxury of being able to wait and see.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In my day the reserve list lasted 6 months.
  • My hubby got a CS job from reserve list I think it took about a year though. Well worth it if you can wait.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Elinore wrote: »
    Hi TELLIT01

Thank you for your reply.

I'll wait to hear then. Luckily I'm in a job and only applied for this one as it is an area I wanted to get into.

So I have the luxury of being able to wait and see.

That's a nice position to be in. Coincidentally, one of the women who started in the same intake as me had received a call a week or two earlier from DWP HR asking why she hadn't turned up on the day she was supposed to start. She had the very best (and worst) of reasons - she had received a letter from DWP telling her she had been unsuccessful in her application! We did all wonder if somebody else on the previous intake should have received that rejection letter instead. There were certainly one or two who ended up not making the grade.
  • Woolco
    Woolco Posts: 172 Forumite
    Hi. Just to let you know it is a rubbish job. I walked after 17 years.

You are sitting stopping peoples money all day.

Bullying culture throughout.
  • Woolco wrote: »

What a completely misleading and wrong statement. I worked my way up to Jobcentre manager for DWP and had nothing but respect for the majority of staff and claimants. Of course, there are always some bad apples; usually someone who has worked for the department for a long time, refused to change with a changing benefit system and then claim everyone is "bullying" them when called on their poor attitude and performance.

In one Jobcentre I worked in, the rest of my staff were so fed up with one particular person who was rude, incompetent and claimed they were a victim every time a manager tried to tackle them, Eventually they quit as they realised I wasn't going to be intimidated by them.

Civil Service is a brilliant place to work and have a career, and gave me experiences that have proved invaluable in getting promoted to a very senior public sector role.
  • Elinore
    edited 19 August 2019 at 6:41AM
    I should mention the role I am applying for is not with the DWP, so hopefully, Woolcos predictions are not valid.

That being said Woolco managed 17 years whereas I've been made redundant pretty regularly (one stint was every six months for three years when outsourcing customer service became de rigueur)

I would really like the opportunity to work somewhere where you can enjoy your work but also really get some stability to invest in developing my role, pension and career.

Here's hoping :)
  • Woolco wrote: »

If it was that bad I would have left within 17 months, never mind 17 years, cant of been all that bad for you to remain there for all that time.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Elinore wrote: »

I would really like the opportunity to work somewhere where you can enjoy your work but also really get some stability to invest in developing my role, pension and career.

Here's hoping :)

Which may not be the Civil Service!

I was in the CS for 35 years and saw many changes and many people passing through. It will really depend on the Department to which you are assigned. Some have interesting work and good promotion prospects, some don't. So don't be too downhearted if it doesn't quite live up to your expectations, it may still be worth sticking it out. The pensions aren't as good as they once were, but I understand are still good.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure