My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Options
    Had a busy day today,the house needed hoovering and polishing so I did downstairs,cleaned the kitchen and did two loads of washing,I also cleaned the chickens out and gave them some warm mash and corn
    I had to pop into town today as well because I needed to buy a Christmas card for my mum and dad and also one for my friend who always gets me a Christmas present, I got her a voucher for her favourite shop as I know she has asked for vouchers from her sisters so she can add mine to theirs,we did stop buying each other pressents a few years ago but for some reason she started buying me one again a couple of years ago,it's only something small and she always tells me not to worry about buying her anything in return but I feel like I should or I'm being mean

Tomorrow I've got DGS all day and then in the evening I've got my work Xmas night out,we are going for a meal at a local Italian,I really don't feel like going but I suppose I'd better make the effort,we normally go to a local pub for a carvery with a disco but we didn't book it this year so ended up booking the Italian,Im going to miss my Christmas roast, it doesn't seem right having mushroom risotto for a Christmas meal 😟

I've had quite a nice day pottering about the house and inbetween ive been reading my latest book called Cuckoo,its a psychological thriller and is very atmospheric and a bit scary,I'm hoping to get some sewing done this week while I'm off as I'm feeling in the mood to make something
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I've been processing my feeling and thoughts all day today and I have to say that while it was nice to get away for the weekend it made me realise how much my mindset has changed,I was quite happy wandering round the shops just looking and helping DD pick out and try on clothes but I had no interest in buying anything for myself and watching all the people spending money was making me feel sad,not because I couldn't spend because I could have if I had really wanted to but because it seemed so pointless to be going crazy just because it's Christmas,it's like some people's sole purpose in life is to go shopping, they had bags and bags of stuff
    I looked at a lot of things and just put them back because I realised if I bought anything it would be just for the sake of it not because I needed anything
    This is a real breakthrough for me because last year I was a confirmed spender,if I wanted it I bought it without even thinking about whether I actually needed it or not
    I bought a game for us to play as a family at Christmas,it was £9.99 and is a reason to sit round a table together and interact,no phones or iPads or TV,it should be fun and entertaining
    I also bought a book......it's called Stuffocation and is about how we don't need all this stuff we accumulate and that we should be embracing experiences instead of things,I've wanted to read it for a while so treated myself and I'm hoping it will give me a bit of insight into the whys and wherefores of our need to accumulate stuff and the reasons why we don't actually need to
    The irony was not lost on me that I was buying something that was going to tell me to stop buying things but I'm hoping it will be an enlightening read and that it will inspire me to live more with less
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    I guess that is when you know and realise that you really have changed.

Enjoy your mushroom Risotto. Although I think I would be the same, it should deffo be a Christmas dinner. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,038 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I know where you are coming from: so many pretty things I've looked at and walked away from. For me the biggest issue is space, or rather a lack of it, but it's been a very spendy few months so I'm being more careful there too.
    I'd be interested to hear how you find the book.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Nicnak wrote: »
    I guess that is when you know and realise that you really have changed.

Enjoy your mushroom Risotto. Although I think I would be the same, it should deffo be a Christmas dinner. x

I'm glad it's not just me,I've woken up this morning feeling really tired and I'm really not looking forward to going out tonight :(
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I know where you are coming from: so many pretty things I've looked at and walked away from. For me the biggest issue is space, or rather a lack of it, but it's been a very spendy few months so I'm being more careful there too.
    I'd be interested to hear how you find the book.

Space is an issue for me too,I have an overwhelming desire to get rid of things I have accumulated,these are things that I thought I would use or that just look nice but I just want clear surfaces and no clutter anywhere,I'm not one for lots of ornaments but the ones I have got are getting on my nerves
    Once Christmas is over I'm going to have a major clear out and only keep the things that have a sentimental attachment
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Have woken up today feeling tired and a bit low for some reason,I'm not sure why but there you go these things pop up out of the woodwork when you least expect them
    It's not helping that it's a really wet and miserable day out today,I should be going out for some bread but really don't want to
    DGS is having a nap so I'm just having a nosy on here,despite being tired I have managed to hoover upstairs and clean the bathroom,I can't do my room because DGS is in there but I will do that tomorrow
    More thoughts about my weekend have surfaced today,I couldn't put my finger on how I felt but I've realised I just felt overwhelmed by the choice the size and the busyness of the city, I live in city but compared to Bristol it's not that big and I guess I'm now so used to my pace of life that anything faster is not enjoyable,maybe it's an age thing,ten years ago a trip to London would be my perfect weekend whereas now I would rather go somewhere a bit quieter with nice walks and maybe a tea shop thrown in and some local independent craft stores and a good book shop

We won't be going anywhere next year because of the no spend challenge but DD has suggested Bath for a weekend trip the year after so that gives me plenty of time to save up for it,I've always wanted to go to Bath as there is such a lot to see and it's a beautiful city
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    It is wet and miserable today so that will impact on your mood. I live outside a moderately large city in the West Country but not as big as Bristol. I was brought up in London though so don't find Bristol too overwhelming. Given the choice though I like a slower pace, hence us not living in a big city, just nearby. I love Bath. My DD1 lives about 20 minutes drive between Bath and Bristol and we normally opt for Bath. That doesn't seem fast paced or overly busy so you may like that especially if you like independent book shops. There is a lovely one in Bath, Mr Bs emporium which is crammed with every book you could think of.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I think in a similar way to you but always have really and one reason why I don't accumulate stuff is because I don't like clutter and like to be organised. My DH isn't but his clutter is confined to one room and the garage. My mantra has been do I need it or want it? I do go shopping but it is not my favourite occupation (except bookshops) but I have rediscovered our local library and buy more books on kindle and am more brutal in getting rid of books to charity shops if I know I won't read them again or is something the library stocks. Clothes shopping I do a few times a year and have a clear out of stuff I no longer wear at the same time. Household stuff we keep for decades unless broken. I like to buy stuff which lasts which can be expensive but if it survives 20 years I figure I have had my money's worth. I think people just acquire too much stuff unnecessarily.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    It is wet and miserable today so that will impact on your mood. I live outside a moderately large city in the West Country but not as big as Bristol. I was brought up in London though so don't find Bristol too overwhelming. Given the choice though I like a slower pace, hence us not living in a big city, just nearby. I love Bath. My DD1 lives about 20 minutes drive between Bath and Bristol and we normally opt for Bath. That doesn't seem fast paced or overly busy so you may like that especially if you like independent book shops. There is a lovely one in Bath, Mr Bs emporium which is crammed with every book you could think of.

I wonder how many of us there are in the West Country, I live within walking distance of my city but where I am situated is right on the edge of a lot of farmland so it also has a bit of a country
    feel to it,
    I actually come from Derby but left there when I was 12 to come down to Devon,this felt like a village to me when I first came here,it's got busier of course but it's still a lovely size,when I was a teenager all I wanted to do was go back to Derby but I wouldn't swap where I live now to go back there,I would love to go more rural if I could drive but as I don't I have to stay near the city
    It's great though because there is a lively social scene and lots of lovely walks plus I'm only a 20 minute train ride away from a beach

We will definitely make Bath our next weekend trip,it sounds right up my street, I love looking round bookshops,I could do it all day :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback