Debts, Diets and DIY.

Options

Comments

• Scottishmummy
    Scottishmummy Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Have renewed gas and electric. As I thought Zog remained cheapest for gas so that was an easy stick. A few companies were coming in slightly cheaper than Ovo for the electric but their customer service reviews were awful. With the £30 annual discount for all online and the fact that Ovo have got rid of their early exit fee have decided to stick with them for now until I see if GB energy's customer service rating improves. House insurance went down sticking with Aviva but still to sort out car insurance. Really need to do that tomorrow.

DIY - lots of painting done in the kitchen. Needs another coat but it is looking good. There was a single row of white tiles above the sink which we have removed so need to get something to replace them.

Diet - gone completely to pot. Basically need to start from scratch again. Really not happy but have been stuck indoors with workload and just not been getting out and about at all. June is not going to be any better but the workload drops significantly come July so can step away from the PC and get out and about then.
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
  • Scottishmummy
    Options
    Uugh. Feeling crap and have two huge reports to complete for tomorrow. Just can't seem to get my head around them so procrastinating on here for a few minutes then will get back to them. One just needs reading over and an equation added the other still needs lots. :(
  • Scottishmummy
    Options
    What a month it has been so far. Four out of five of us all came down with a vomiting bug the week of littlest's birthday so that put a dampener on things. I couldn't face cake baking or partying so that was all postponed for a week. He was happy with his pressies though.

The car has needed lots of little things done to it to get through its MOT but all completed for less than £100 plus the cost of the MOT itself so not at all bad considering it is a 13yo car.

The workload for work has relaxed quite a bit now. Shouldn't need to bring any work home for a couple of months. Had requested the first week of July off but already too many off so having to wait until the second week. Not planning on going anywhere other than maybe visit family but still want to get more done in the house. Have been looking at things for the kids to do over summer but most require money or having DH drive me to work so he can have the car to take them places - public transport here all changed last August and now there is no longer a direct service that goes past my work. I would need to leave an hour earlier than I already do and take two buses which because they are different companies means costs also double because the cost into town is the same as the cost used to be to get all the way to work, then the second bus costs the same again to get all the way out again. It's ridiculous. I have to go all the way into town, then all the way out again when there used to be a very popular service that circumnavigated the town altogether and only took 35 minutes in total. So nothing arranged as yet for the kids.

Oh well, the sun has come out so might fill the paddling pool again for littlest. He spent ages in it the day we first pumped it up a couple of weeks ago but the weather turned and it has been too cold again. I so hope we get a decent summer.
  • Scottishmummy
    Options
    Surprise surprise! It's me! I am so hopeless at keeping up with diaries. I'll do my best to try a bit harder.

So what's been happening since I last updated? Loads :j

We got our solar panels fitted. Thanks mum and dad. Our first FIT payment for July to Sept was just over £170. This quarter's is only going to be about £45 because the weather has been so crap but every little helps. Our electric usage has gone down by about 30% so have been able to reduce our DD to them.

Our bank got in touch regarding an insurance thing we used to pay for - turns out they reckoned it was mis-sold so we got a refund.:j We decided to use the bulk of it for a cheap holiday and the rest went to the DMP - has brought that down by about 3 months. Have managed to find a similar holiday for next year with a company that allows monthly payments so we are going again. Then we will be back to camping again after that.

Diet :eek: My weight was going up again despite trying my best to stick to the diet so went back to the docs to have thyroid bloods taken again and yes there was the culprit. My TSH levels had increased again so my thyroxine has gone up by another 25mcg and that will checked again at the end of January so we will see how it is then. As for actual dieting - it's christmas, who are we kidding. Tea tonight is pate, cheese and crackers followed by chocolate out of the humongous chocolate stocking. :rotfl:

I'm going to do a separate post for how things are going to go next year :)
  • Scottishmummy
    Options
    So 2016 is not just around the corner but knocking on the door. There is so much that still needs sorted between house, debt and body that I really have to knuckle down.

We have our holiday booked for October and that is the incentive to work on the body - don't want to have whale rescue thinking they need to help me on the beach. So going to give the 5:2 a go but I am being realistic here. I don't expect to start before the 11th Jan. We have loads of food in and two parties to go to between now and then.

DIY - come to a bit of a standstill since August. Still so much needing done. We need to replace a window upstairs, fit skirting boards round the whole of the upstairs - we have the wood, just not the time, the nails or the mitre saw to cut corners. They will also all need painted or oiled depending on how we want to finish them. Our bedroom desperately needs decorated but frightened to strip the wallpaper in case half the walls come with it like what happened in the livingroom. I think the chimney above the bedroom also needs looked at because we keep getting a lot of sand falling into the fireplace. :(

Debts - we upped our payments to step-change and depending on DH's tax bill might manage to give them another lump sum too. We have managed to reduce our debt free date by two years this year but unfortunately still along way to go. I've mentioned already about adding our emergency payments into our mortgage payments. If we keep managing to do this and the interest rates stay low I've worked out we will pay our mortgage off 3 years early so that will then get added to the DMP payments knocking another 3 or 4 years off that. We are in this for the long haul still.

I've joined some of the challenges on here most of which we did already but if I am logging on to update the challenges I'll hopefully keep up to date with the diary too.
  • Scottishmummy
    Options
    Thought I would do a quick list of what saving pots we have and what they are for.

£2 sealed tin.
    We are into our second year of filling this. Not opening it until full. We have our 25th anniversary in 2018 and I have been promised a London and Paris trip so that is what these will be spent on.

Xmas 2016 £1 a day X 2
    as we are both doing this. We did the 365 1p increasing to £3.65 a day thing this year and it just got complicated so £2 a day is simpler and will be worth more. As it says this is for Xmas.

50ps and 20ps sealed tin. DH gets a lot of these so will keep back enough for his float and stick the rest in the tin. We don't want to open this until completely full and hope it will hold enough to pay for all of us to take the ferry to mull or Harris to go camping.

5p wine bottle. We have been told it should hold £50 so no specific reason for saving, we just want to see if it's true. We are about 2/3rds of the way there. Would be closer but the eldest raided £8 out of it in October.

Coppers jar. Have always kept a jar for these. Again no specific reason for saving but every so often our daughter will bag them up and her and our youngest get to bank £5 each.

Lidded tin. I've started to put the new plastic £5s in here and also the Jack Nicklaus ones. Americans will apparently pay extra for the Jack ones and since St Andrews sees a lot of Americans in summer I thought I would keep some back. Will probably never get round to doing anything with them. As for the plastic ones it's novelty factor at the moment and they will probably be raided.
  • Scottishmummy
    Options
    And have just gone and joined the virtual sealed pot challenge too but it is something we already did anyway.
  • Scottishmummy
    Options
    Just popping on for the last time tonight to wish everyone a very happy new year and here's to a great 2016. :beer:_party_
  • Scottishmummy
    Options
    Yesterday was a slob out and relax kind of a day although I did manage to go through some paperwork and bin what was rubbish and also cut mine and eldests hair. When I say cut his hair it was more thin it out. He won't let me shorten it any but it is so thick it desperately needed something done. Also managed to dye mine.

Had homemade steak pie for tea and didn't eat too much chocolate.

DH has taken the kids out shopping. Eldest needs jeans and school trousers, middle wants to spend her xmas money - probably on yet more monster high, and smallboy is just going along to give me peace and quiet. :j

So today I am going to

Do online banking
    Update virtual sealed pot
    Do meter readings and update online and on graph
    Need to find different coloured pens for the graph for 2016
    File some of yesterdays papersorting
    Charge camera
  • Scottishmummy
    Options

So today I am going to

[STRIKE]Do online banking
    Update virtual sealed pot
    Do meter readings and update online and on graph[/STRIKE]
    Need to find different coloured pens for the graph for 2016
    File some of yesterdays papersorting
    [STRIKE]Charge camera[/STRIKE]

Have gone wrong somewhere on our energy chart. I take weekly readings but for some reason have only reached week 49 of 52 so lost three weeks somewhere. But it means these last few weeks look even better compared to last two years if I presume the missing weeks are from earlier in the year.

Ended up doing some tidying and finally got rid of our old microwave and treated ourselves to a new combination one. In 22 years we have had two microwaves. They seem to last us a really long time but the one we had was definitely on its last legs. So as we usually buy something for the house rather than ourselves for xmas we decided to get a combination microwave. Had seen one in the argos catalogue we really liked but was £119.99. Got given love to shop vouchers and knew we had some nectar points so thought we would get it down to about £85. Got to Argos to find it was reduced and had more nectar points than I thought so only cost us £34.99:j This will definitely save money in the long run because we can use it instead of heating up the whole oven for pizza or the grill for cheese on toast:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills