Will pension age change to 75? & potentially 65 earliest access to any pension...if tories stay in!

Options

Comments

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No doubt the OP has read the full report?

Of course they have! And considered who produced it, how it's related to governmental policy, and the likelihood of it being inmplemented.

Certainly within this Parliament. Or the next. Or even the one after.

Given rumours (yeah, I know) the next will start around Halloween...
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • MaxZorin
    MaxZorin Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 August 2019 at 10:00PM
    Options
    I'm 37 and have been planning on the SP age being 70 before I can get to it - if it's lower, then bonus! My aimed for retirement age is 60.
    I have a DB pension payable from age 65, a personal DC pension through my work (max employer contribution being paid in), a S/S isa and LISA both of which I contribute to every month and a Share Save scheme where I buy one and get two free.
    Hopefully, all these will provide enough flexibility that no matter what changes are made in future I will be able to choose when I give up work and stick to my target of age 60 - or earlier if I want to.

I’m in a similar position and this is pretty much how I see it. 38 and aiming to retire at 60. Like yourself I’m thinking SP age will possibly be 70 by the time I get there but unlikely to be any worse. I’ve got one Civil Service DB pension payable from 60 with approx. 14 years service. I’m also contributing to a second one payable from 68 but that could potentially increase as its tied to SP age. Both DB pensions however can be taken earlier but would be reduced accordingly. The McCloud judgement also means I might be able to return to the earlier scheme. We’ll see!

Our mortgage is nearly paid off. The current plan is to maximise LISA contributions to support my Classic pension at 60. I’m also using Regular Savers to add to our existing cash savings to ensure we have flexibility and accessible funds in our 40s and 50s. Will possibly look at additional investments when I can’t contribute to my LISA from 50 onwards.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You do realise that pensioners are more keen on voting than the very young?

Political parties annoy pensioners at their peril. :naughty:
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Of course they have! And considered who produced it, how it's related to governmental policy, and the likelihood of it being inmplemented.

Certainly within this Parliament. Or the next. Or even the one after.

Given rumours (yeah, I know) the next will start around Halloween...

Google the topic, and you'll see that the report suggests. MSE editors (for example) have changed this to should. Fake news abounds these days. Depending upon your agenda.

Give the average Facebook user is considered to have a shorter attention span than a goldfish. Days of sensible debate on important issues are drawing to a close.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    You do realise that pensioners are more keen on voting than the very young?

Political parties annoy pensioners at their peril. :naughty:

The problem with that line of reasoning is that this policy wouldnt hurt current pensioners. Its the future pensioners (ie the current young) who its going to hurt.

Current pensioners may well just think 'im alright jack'
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    While unwarranted, the Centre for Social Justice (LOL at the name, given the context) do have strong links to them. IDS e.g.
    Yes it has one Tory MP on their working group, IDS, who's not in the govt any more. It also has someone from the JRF, but I doubt it's JRF policy!

I've just read the report, won't go down well here amongst those planning early retirement but makes some interesting points that a couple of people have made here about the benefits of working later in life.

But the state pension increase suggestion is crackers, it's almost as if they wanted to create something the media will latch onto to get them noticed...
    Report is here:

https://www.centreforsocialjustice.org.uk/core/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/CSJJ7421-Ageing-Report-190815-WEB.pdf
  • mark1959
    mark1959 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stop kidding yourselves! The tories would love to increase the pension age to 75. You're in denial. :cool:
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Zero_Sum wrote: »
    The problem with that line of reasoning is that this policy wouldnt hurt current pensioners. Its the future pensioners (ie the current young) who its going to hurt.

Current pensioners may well just think 'im alright jack'

The almost- pensioners will be hacked off and when they collect their pensions may well give the pension-postponement party a bit of a kicking.:cool:
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We had this same discussion less than a week ago.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    mark1959 wrote: »
    Stop kidding yourselves! The tories would love to increase the pension age to 75. You're in denial. :cool:
    They also love winning elections, so it's not going to happen. Labour would love to means test it, but again, they're not going to commit political suicide either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure