Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bugslett wrote: »
    I think they should be paying you now!

so do I; would it make more sense to take some equity as payment?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They should install an electric car charge point, and pay the fee for you to charge the Tesla?
  • bearshare
    bearshare Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    mgdavid wrote: »
    so do I; would it make more sense to take some equity as payment?

Look up the expression "sweat equity".

C
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    atush wrote: »
    They should install an electric car charge point, and pay the fee for you to charge the Tesla?

Yeah, that could be worth around £2 a day, very worthwhile. :D

Assuming all goes to plan, we are creating something valuable, and I'm happy to slog away and see what exit plan emerges.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • markbsac
    markbsac Posts: 104 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    im 56.5 plan on retiring at 60 been trying to plan from 55 but i have options that i am still not sure about, i have no debts house paid for as a previous post my dilemma is keep my pension in DB or transfer it to a drawdown..i have a decent DB and a small navy pension. i have been advised to do both keep the DB and transfer to a drawdown so its now working out the best option for me..and thats the difficult thing.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's really down to what the reduction is for taking DB early or what else you might have in place to bridge you to scheme retirement age on the DB pension.

Keeping the DB is generally *much* lower risk, but health is also a factor.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    We're now members of National Trust.......
    We paid for life time family membership for NT in our 30s, this has been one of our best "investments".....well at least one of our favourites. We've had some great days out over the years at NT properties.

My wife has a tracker to see how much we have saved compared to paying annual membership every year.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just noticed that NT offer 25% discounted membership rates to over 60s who have been a member for 5 of the previous 10 years, but you have to ask for it. Doesn't apply to us yet, but it's not far off.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Slinky wrote: »
    Just noticed that NT offer 25% discounted membership rates to over 60s who have been a member for 5 of the previous 10 years, but you have to ask for it. Doesn't apply to us yet, but it's not far off.

For those who aren't members a coup!e of money saving tips: I think membership of National Trust for Scotland is marginally cheaper and allows you into NT properties, and if paying as you go at the properties ask for a standard ticket otherwise they usually charge you the gift aid price by default and that's higher. I'd also suggest taking a picnic rather than buying their food which IMHO is overpriced.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Slinky wrote: »
    The NT actually send you a letter informing you of the discount but also asking you not to take the discount if you can afford not to! You have to ring up to request the discount & after the letter I was expecting a hard sell trying to persuade me to continue paying the higher rate but as it turned out they just took my details & gave me the discount.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback