Curve just screwed themselves over

Options
https://blog.imaginecurve.com/introduction-of-new-technology-for-transaction-processing

So much for free CC ATM withdrawals.... and so nice of them to give us notice (oh wait, they didn't!)

I hope they reverse this decision ASAP.

Comments

• Already posted in another thread...
  • TheRed
    TheRed Posts: 52 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Was just about to utilise my Curve card to pay off a credit card tonight and then see this, luckily. Shame as I've only just got it too.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    TheRed wrote: »
    Was just about to utilise my Curve card to pay off a credit card tonight and then see this, luckily. Shame as I've only just got it too.

That should be OK though (shouldn't it??) - I thought it was just cash withdrawals that would now be chargeable ?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    That should be OK though (shouldn't it??) - I thought it was just cash withdrawals that would now be chargeable ?

Curve card was far more useful than that.

It allowed punters to turn a credit card in to a debt card.

I see Curve have now sent out emails trying to put a positive spin on the change. And that the introduction of their "new technology" was quietly postponed from 14th September until 17th September.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    Is this just for cash withdrawals (which I never made)?

I used to use my Curve with a linked credit card and could use that as a debit card (for example to pay HRMC) - will these now be classed as a cash advance by my CC.

My reading of this is that those transactions will now incur a cash advance charge from the underlying CC, but its not stated outright.
  • Sad_Dad
    Sad_Dad Posts: 878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Really bad timing for me. Only just received my two cards and was going to do some major stoozing.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    Is this just for cash withdrawals (which I never made)?

I used to use my Curve with a linked credit card and could use that as a debit card (for example to pay HRMC) - will these now be classed as a cash advance by my CC.

My reading of this is that those transactions will now incur a cash advance charge from the underlying CC, but its not stated outright.

It depends on the Merchant Category Code (MCC) used by HMRC. If it's one that's consider 'cash like', it's likely to attract fees.

This is a big problem for customers in general. We don't know what MCC merchants use and we don't know which codes credit card companies will treat as cash or cash-like. Perhaps this is something the FCA should look in to.

If I place a bet with William Hill using my credit card today it will be treated as a cash-like transaction.

If I buy a lottery ticket from Tesco today it will be treated as a purchase.

Both are gambling, but treated in different ways because of the MCC.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been using it to pay off my credit card bills. So at the moment there is no way of knowing whether this is going to be treated as a cash transaction going forward.

I presume the only option is to try it out with a small payment to see ?
  • PRAISETHESUN
    Options
    All they've changed is how they pass along the merchant code from the original payment source to your CC company. I personally haven't used it to withdraw cash on my CC, but something tells me this was something that the CC companies could've sorted out by themselves (eventually).

It still lets you use a credit card in situations where you could only use a debit card which is still useful, but I agree that without a little trial and error, it's going to be confusing to figure out how individual merchants categorise transactions through curve
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    All they've changed is how they pass along the merchant code from the original payment source to your CC company. I personally haven't used it to withdraw cash on my CC, but something tells me this was something that the CC companies could've sorted out by themselves (eventually).

It still lets you use a credit card in situations where you could only use a debit card which is still useful, but I agree that without a little trial and error, it's going to be confusing to figure out how individual merchants categorise transactions through curve

The MCC is assigned to a retailer by his processing bank when they sign up to process their transactions. There are hundreds of different MCCs (search MasterCard Merchant Category Codes online). When you transact with a retailer (with any card) the transaction will be processed through to the card issuer with that MCC.

Curve acts as a card issuer in the first part of any Curve transaction and will receive an MCC in the transaction message from the retailers bankers. Curve then 'converts' itself into a retailer/acquirer and sends the transaction through to your actual card issuer. All they need to do is replicate the MCC in the original transaction message. For ATM cash the MCC is 6011.

This piece of data alone isn't necessarily what drives the cash advance handling fee. I suspect it is impossible to send a transaction with 6011 as the MCC unless you also include a Transaction Code of '07'. If they try to send 6011 with a Transaction Code of '05' (purchase) the transaction will likely be rejected back to Curve.

Sorry if this is boring but the whole issue is likely connected to fees payable by Curve. It is likely that when you take ATM cash on Curve, Curve may have to pay the ATM operator a fee. If that transaction is then sent on as an '05' (purchase) Curve will have to pay another fee to the card issuer (an interchange fee). If Curve sends the transaction on as '07' (cash) with an MCC of 6011 (ATM) they will receive a fee from the card issuer.

It is this fee mechanism that drives your issuer to impose a cash advance handling charge. This fee is also part of what enables your card issuer to offer you cashback on purchases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure