Cost of moving (private) manhole for new porch?

Grateful for some advice - two fairly clueless girls planning building work for the first time.

Background:
We'd like to build a relatively simple porch on the front of our barn conversion. It's small enough to not need Building Regs, but because of the area we live in it does need Planning.

There's currently a manhole just outside our front door, right in the way of where the porch would be. I'm pretty sure it just drains our property*, so shouldn't require 'build over' permission from the water company. On the porch plans one of the external walls would be right over the site of the current manhole (although the architect hasn't actually marked the manhole on the plans at all - I'm not sure he even noticed it to be honest).

Question:
My question is: how much (roughly) should it cost to move the manhole so that it's away from the planned porch site? Any other costs we need to factor in? Might it scupper the plans entirely if the foundations need to be where the pipe is currently running?

We splashed out for an architect to help us with this sort of thing, but he's been pretty useless. Please help with some much needed advice!

*I lifted the manhole cover, then flushed loos and ran sinks, and the only time water flowed was from our upstairs toilet and our upstairs sink - presumably that makes it a soil stack/soil vent pipe? We are at the end of a cul de sac so it wouldn't make sense for it to drain neighbours' houses too but to be sure I'm going to ask them to flush their toilets whilst I look down the manhole.

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Whether it serves your neighbours would be fairly clear from the number of branches the chamber has within it if it's a 20th century or new build.

If it has one pipe in and one pipe out and the only pipe in comes from the direction of your house then it's likely to only be yours.

If it has three and you've already established that water only comes inf rom one bathroom of yours then it's likely to be shared.

The cost of moving it isn't prohibitive. Perhaps budget £1,000 if you were only doing that job, but you're already planning to dig foundations and so it would be a lot cheaper.

The thing you may not want to hear is that planners are loathe to agree any kind of extensions on barn conversions, including porches. You'll be lucky to get one, particularly if you know you have restrictions on development :o.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure