Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• 9/10 they're being paid ridiculously low wages and a lot of waiting staff rely on tips to survive and live. One of my old housemates was a waitress and I've seen just how crappy their job can be and the amount of crap they get for things that aren't their fault.

You're aware that the kitchen staff also have poor pay and hours? Not to mention far worse working conditions normally.

I'd be happier tipping the kitchen staff than the wait-staff.

I was forced to pay 12.5% 'service charge' in a restaurant this weekend.. wasn't very happy. It's not like we had amazing service either.
  • Yes, I am, and I'm also aware of the fact that in 99% of places the tips also get shared between the kitchen staff as well
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    9/10 they're being paid ridiculously low wages and a lot of waiting staff rely on tips to survive and live. One of my old housemates was a waitress and I've seen just how crappy their job can be and the amount of crap they get for things that aren't their fault.

They get paid minimum wage for carry plates back and to the kitchen and typing orders into a computer, it doesn't exactly take years of training or much skill. They are paid the same minimum wage as the people who work in the shops you buy things from and the bin men who collect rubbish from your house, do you also tip them?.

I find it crazy how people feel these have to tip the person who brings them food but not tip a doctor/nurse who saves their lives and work much longer hours in a very difficult environment.
  • pantaiema
    pantaiema Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 June 2017 at 11:42PM
    takman wrote: »
    They get paid minimum wage for carry plates back and to the kitchen and typing orders into a computer, it doesn't exactly take years of training or much skill. They are paid the same minimum wage as the people who work in the shops you buy things from and the bin men who collect rubbish from your house, do you also tip them?.

I find it crazy how people feel these have to tip the person who brings them food but not tip a doctor/nurse who saves their lives and work much longer hours in a very difficult environment.

I find it also something wrong with this tip cuture. If you have spare money better donate it to charity.

I believe, most people who consider giving tip is necessary is those who come from North America and try to bring their habbit / culture to the countries they are visiting, ruining the market for other people, especially local people.

Giving tip in the US is very much expected because that is the way they they are topping up their salary. But here in europe the basic salary close to living wages is already guranteed by law. They are getting paid similar to other people in low skilled job.

People who got used to giving tip, please think about this and answer the question

Do you tip other people in low skilled jobs a shop assistant (say) who is helping you finding items in the store ??

Do you tip the binman who empty your rubbish bin every week ?

Do you tip the young boys, girls in Fastfood outlets such as McDonald, Burger King, KFC, Take away ?

Do you tip nurses, doctors, dentists They save your live ?

If not why not ???
  • bellanoisette
    bellanoisette Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2017 at 11:02PM
    takman wrote: »
    I can't believe you are located in the UK, are you originally from the USA as you say "grocery places" and refer to "10-15%" tips.

Why would you tip when shopping online before you have even received the service?. I have never tipped a delivery driver and it is extremely rare that i tip in a restaurant and i have never felt obliged to do it.

I have social anxiety and feel if I tip that will alleviate some awkwardness :o I googled how much you're "meant" to give years ago and that seemed to be the consensus after a lot of research and I know people who don't care about tipping but I still feel I have to but don't agree with it. I am mostly housebound and rely on online shopping and food being delivered so say grocery as they are typically called that online! I don't "hoover" up though. Amazon Prime Now have a £2 tip as default (i use it for groceries/food) but you can give a lot more and so do new things like deliveroo have a tip box so I expect this to become the norm with apps.
  • gonebust
    gonebust Posts: 170 Forumite
    9/10 they're being paid ridiculously low wages and a lot of waiting staff rely on tips to survive and live. One of my old housemates was a waitress and I've seen just how crappy their job can be and the amount of crap they get for things that aren't their fault.

Minimum wage says that over 21 and you are on£7.50 an hour

So the dishwasher , kitchen porter, bar tender, cleaner are all getting the same as the waiter

All earning the same as me who works in an industry that doesn't get tipped

I don't tip :)
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    For me, it's simple. If the food was good and the service was also good, I tip. If the food was good and I am asked about it, I will say so. If the food is not good in any way, I say it like it is and I do not return to that venue again.

My family have a "do" for most birthdays: just had one for my son, at a restaurant that we had been to once before. On both occasions the food and service were excellent, so we tipped. The last occasion was a very hot evening: 34º and no Aircon, we sat with the windows all open and the kitchen staff were thanked and tipped personally for their heroics! There are local restaurants and/or pubs which we might use, we know the ones that are good and we stick to them.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The US is very hypocritical when it comes to tipping. They tip in "diners" and other middle class restaurants, but do not tip in McDonalds or other similar places where the working conditions are pretty dire, and most of the workers come from African/American or Hispanic backgrounds.
    I never tip because I have never received tips in any of my jobs.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    andygb wrote: »
    The US is very hypocritical when it comes to tipping. They tip in "diners" and other middle class restaurants, but do not tip in McDonalds or other similar places where the working conditions are pretty dire
    I agree. Just been the the US again last week.

Ate at a Denny's (a 24hr chain diner) next to the airport hotel on the first night. We gave a tip of about 16%. I asked to pay my share by credit card and the rest paid in cash. When I went to the counter to enter my PIN, the waitress looked disgusted after counting the cash.

In another place, we were asked if we wanted the change (a total !!!!!! moment in the US). When we said no, the waiter seemed extremely happy and was very grateful to us. After leaving, we realised we hadn't split the bill right. Ended up leaving a 28% tip. Oops.

Couldn't wait to get back to the UK where there is no obligation to tip.
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    edited 2 July 2017 at 10:14PM
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I agree. Just been the the US again last week.

Ate at a Denny's (a 24hr chain diner) next to the airport hotel on the first night. We gave a tip of about 16%. I asked to pay my share by credit card and the rest paid in cash. When I went to the counter to enter my PIN, the waitress looked disgusted after counting the cash.

In another place, we were asked if we wanted the change (a total !!!!!! moment in the US). When we said no, the waiter seemed extremely happy and was very grateful to us. After leaving, we realised we hadn't split the bill right. Ended up leaving a 28% tip. Oops.

Couldn't wait to get back to the UK where there is no obligation to tip.

When we had a meal at Disney World last year the waitress (who was amazing for all 4 courses) brought the change out, we gave her a puzzled look and said we deliberately put that much in, thats your tip. Bless her she looked like she was going to cry with joy. It was something like 25%. I guess they aren't expecting tourists to understand that those who get tipped have a separate and much lower minimum wage.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback