Sentinel (AI Scheme) compensation help guide

Comments

• My husband has received the paperwork from AI to complete, he is however unsure which template to fill in. On ringing the helpline they have advised that it started in September 2003 and was cancelled in December 2008. I think that it relates to a Capital One Credit Card which he no longer has but really can't be sure. Rang my bank First Direct to see if they have a record of any payments during that period but their records only go back 6 years. Does anyone have any suggestions were to turn to next. Also as it started in 2003 do I have to claim separately for that period?
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 26 September 2015 at 5:30PM
    I assume you mean the MSE templates.

These are just for guidance. If you do not remember when you had it just say so: they are writing to him because they know he had an affected product.Just say I recall having a product of this kind, not sure on which card.

The two templates relate to what you thought the product provided was covering. It is obvious they have limited records beyond the products so how deeply they will scrutinise the form seems doubtful. The important thing is that you "remember" the salesperson saying it covered you for unauthorised card use on stolen or lost cards. This could be either before you have notified the bank (Template 2) or after notifying them(Template 1).

The sums covered might be different in your case but you do not need to remember the exact figure to claim. Just that there was some cover

The form is designed to make you not bother. All you are stating is what you believe you were told

Remember to use Block Capitals (pity the templates are not block capitals).
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • mumbelini
    mumbelini Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 December 2015 at 4:36PM
    Well I have received the claim form, but like everyone else am unsure if I can claim both 1 and 2.

I really thought I was covered for both purchases before and after I had informed Sentinel.
    I may have answered my own question here!! ;)
    I don't want to be disqualified for completing both sections...

Any help gratefully appreciated! :)

I completed the form as directed and filled in both parts. I tweaked it slightly to fit my own situation. I am very pleased to say that I have received a cheque for £291.00. Sooo a BIG THANKYOU to Martin Lewis for alerting me in first place to look out for the initial letter and then for the template wording. I love you guys!!
  • As far as I am aware, if you receive communication from the AI scheme, this means you had the 'product' in the past. I was contacted, filled in the claim form and received a refund cheque within 4 weeks - it was so simple!
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181
    Forumite
    mumbelini wrote: »
    Well I have received the claim form, but like everyone else am unsure if I can claim both 1 and 2.

I really thought I was covered for both purchases before and after I had informed Sentinel.
    I may have answered my own question here!! ;)
    I don't want to be disqualified for completing both sections...

Any help gratefully appreciated! :)

There is only one section to complete.

As far as I can see they have identified two claims that were made at the time (before/after) but you can say either or both.

I really doubt they are checking much. They want the liability cleared this financial year.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • xdbx
    xdbx Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 29 September 2015 at 12:57PM
    If you're stuck on which template to use here's what I did and I just received my compensation cheque so it worked! :rotfl:

In Section B I stated that I bought the policy because it offered additional insurance against fraudulent use of lost or stolen cards - both the £5,000 before reporting cards missing and £10,000 after and I explained why I believed I was mis-sold this feature (see the MSE templates for details of how you can word this).

Good luck!
  • mbugsy18
    mbugsy18 Posts: 87
    Forumite
    sealdriver wrote: »
    I had Sentinel on my Barclaycard from 1987. I've completed the forms from Sentinel for 2005 onwards. I then contacted BC via their web site, I sent it via the complaints system and simply stated I was claiming from Sentinel but wanted to claim against Barclays for the years prior to that. I have just received a letter from them offering me nearly £900 after tax It was easy and obviously worth pursuing.

Cheers
    Pat

Hi, did you need to give Barclaycard /Barclays any other details such as the details found on the AI scheme letter for customer number etc?
    Did you go through a general complaints email address or through the mybarclaycard account?
    Regards
    Mbugsy
  • Orddu
    Orddu Posts: 3
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 1 October 2015 at 3:51PM
    sealdriver wrote: »
    I had Sentinel on my Barclaycard from 1987. I've completed the forms from Sentinel for 2005 onwards. I then contacted BC via their web site, I sent it via the complaints system and simply stated I was claiming from Sentinel but wanted to claim against Barclays for the years prior to that. I have just received a letter from them offering me nearly £900 after tax It was easy and obviously worth pursuing.

Cheers
    Pat

Could you give a little more info about this please? Which option on the BC website, did you need to give them much detail beyond name/membership number? We've had this product since Pontius was a pilot and much of the detail has been lost in the mists of time and house moves.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I've just called the scheme who confirmed when I took this out which was 1993, so I'd definitely like a word with Barclaycard about that ;-)
  • I've just had 1997-2005 repaid by Barclaycard for an Affinion Card Protection product (Sentinel Gold) - if this experience is anything to go by then they are not making it difficult to reclaim.

I called AI Scheme Ltd and asked for the year in which I acquired the product, then called Barclaycard on their main customer service number (0800 151 0900) and worked my way through the automated system to raise a complaint. Had a rather muddled conversation with the overseas call centre where he firstly said there was no record of me having such a product, then tried to refer me to an Affinion phone number. After re-iterating several times that I wanted to raise a complaint against Barclaycard for mis-selling he did so & said i'd hear in writing within 21 days.

Five days later I received a form asking how i'd like the money paid back if the claim was upheld, and the day after that a letter upholding the claim!

At no stage did I provide an Affinion membership number, or have to explain why I felt the product was mis-sold, or produce any paperwork (not that I have records going back that far..). The claim letter notes that the complaint was upheld as they were not able to establish that, when originally sold to me, the product was suitable to my needs or adequately explained. It also directed me to the AI Scheme Ltd to claim for the post-2005 period.

Hope this info helps someone :)
  • lyntwyn
    lyntwyn Posts: 16
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why does MSE say that the form MUST be completed in black ink and in capital letters? I've read my letter and claim form umpteen times but cannot see that anywhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure