Halifax Mortgage between exchange and completion

Hi everyone,

Your help would be much appreciated. I have a couple of questions.

I exchanged in May with Halifax on a new build mortgage which is due to complete in December. I was told by my mortgage broker not to apply for any more credit. 2 months ago my phone broke and on my existing phone contract I got a new phone which didn’t credit check but showed as a new credit commitment on my Experian credit report and brought my score down, I didn’t realise it would do that!

Secondly, one of the conditions of my mortgage was to pay my credit card off. At the time of exchange it had £2k on it. At the moment, because I use it for work and I travel a lot it is on £11k which by completion will be paid in full. At the moment due to that and my new phone my score is poor rather than fair.

I am not sleeping at night as I am scared to death Halifax might randomly credit check any day and decline my mortgage. The house is being built as we speak!

Can anyone help? I have read such contrasting comments!

Laura

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    can you pay off the 11k on completion? if not you may have a problem as the lender may not like this.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You have racked up £9,000 in 4 months, what have you spent it on? If its for work are you going to get that back?

Did you have a strategy for paying the £2,000 credit card before completion?

Good news though, you don't have a credit score.
  • Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I spent the £9000 on an annual season ticket for train travel. This amount will be cleared on October's credit card so balance will be back to zero.

Laura
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No worries then.
  • From what I have read there will be another credit check before the funds are transferred. They will want evidence the credit card is paid off in full.

Crazy money on train travel.
  • I just seen on your previous post that your work loaned you the money for the train travel and they will be deducting it out your wage? Did you chose to put it on your CC? How are you going to raise 9K to pay this off?
  • I put it on my credit card and have claimed it back from work. It will go in my October wage and I will clear the balance. It is a lot of money on trains but it is worth it. In a month’s time, my credit card balance will be zero and I assume I just have to show them my balance on the day I complete?

Laura
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Speak to your Broker about your concerns.

You were advised not to take further credit and have continued to do so.

Not clever if you are tight on affordability - Halifax will know what is going on with your credit file.

Your Broker will let you know if your situation means you are storing up problems.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Hi,

I have spoken to her this morning and she has put my mind at ease.

The only additional credit I have taken out is a new phone contract which she said is minimal, it's not loans and new credit cards. My credit card balance is about to be cleared so fine. As long as my credit card balance is zero at completion she said I have no issue

Thanks,

Laura
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family