Labour propose confiscating 10% uk equities - pension planning response?

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    mat5664 wrote: »
    make no mistake - the combination of this proposal, together with nationalising utilities and increasing business taxes will be a disaster for UK equities (and the economy in general). Any sign of a snap election, I am switching all my pension funds out of UK equities or anything instrument linked to the UK economy.

Too late. You'll see the announcement try to get on your stockbroker website, find it is down or at a crawl. By the time you get in, prices will already have crashed 20%. And the pound 5%.

Either do it now or dont bother.

I did it several years back for most of my investments. I do though, thinking about it, have some UK shares pretty much just for dividends,I think it might be time to sell those and replace with a foreign income fund.
  • Does anyone know of any global passive funds which exclude (or have a low percentage of) the UK?

I was with Vanguard Life Strategy but would like to move away from their UK weighting going forward but all the other funds I've looked at (blackrock consensus, HSBC global strategy...) have a similar % UK.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,993 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does anyone know of any global passive funds which exclude (or have a low percentage of) the UK?

I was with Vanguard Life Strategy but would like to move away from their UK weighting going forward but all the other funds I've looked at (blackrock consensus, HSBC global strategy...) have a similar % UK.

I was looking at this, the scottish widows 'international' fund that seemed the right thing had 4.8% UK equities (good) but then had 16.8% in another fund that was all UK equities :( It was also unclear if they hedged currency risk for the non-uk investments. Anyone know how to find out if funds do this?
    I think....
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Does anyone know of any global passive funds which exclude (or have a low percentage of) the UK?
    L&G International Index? Specifically excludes the UK by tracking the FTSE World (ex UK) Index. No bonds though as it's a tracker

You could also look at anything that tracks the FTSE All-World Index, these will have a low UK weighting, e.g. HSBC FTSE All World Index or VWRL etc
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Wonderful use of language from the conference today - "Much of the money to pay for the policy will come from the public purse". For new listeners, the nice warm phrase 'public purse' means taxation and/or borrowing from future generations (we have both a massive debt and a deficit, so there are no savings to be able to use). To get a better view when any politician (of any flavour) uses this phrase, simply substitute the word's 'tax payers credit card' for 'public purse' and then re-read the sentance.
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,993 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I particularly like it when increased borrowing is suggested as an alternative to higher taxes... govt borrowing is just deferred taxation - numbskulls
    I think....
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 September 2018 at 11:25AM
    My biggest concern is that Labour now seem to have reached the stage of being comfortable talking about government effectively seizing private assets with no compensation, once governments start heading down that path, forgive me if I am very concerned about where it ends up.

I don't think Corbyn and McDonnell ever found a problem for which their solution wasn't more state control, more taxation (or indeed just plain seizure of assets now) and more government spending.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    michaels wrote: »
    I particularly like it when increased borrowing is suggested as an alternative to higher taxes... govt borrowing is just deferred taxation - numbskulls

Not if you do an Argentina or a Zimbabwe.

Labour members also wistfully hark back to the days when if the national debt got too large, there was an elegant solution known as a pogrom.
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Filo25 wrote: »
    My biggest concern is that Labour now seem to have reached the stage of being comfortable talking about government effectively seizing private assets with no compensation, once governments start heading down that path, forgive me if I am very concerned about where it ends up.
    I am starting to reduce my allocation to UK stocks, shuffling assets around generally to better insulate myself from GBP currency effects, and further I am also investigating options for living in other countries so that I can leave the UK quickly if the need arises.

Paranoid? Perhaps. Probably, even. It is possible that Labour have made themselves less electable, not more so, with this ill-thought through expropriation scheme. The most surprising part to me is that it is barely concealed behind the very flimsiest of lies. Given that political parties are of course going to lie to me -- Labour is not alone in that; all of them do -- I would prefer that they at least do me the courtesy of coming up with something relatively convincing.

Although panic is rarely the best option, if you are going to do it you need to do it early, and with conviction. I have unflinchingly weathered any number of financial and political crises over the past two decades and never changed investing tack before. This may be about to change.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I doubt there is much point in changing asset allocations. If these lot do get in, then after they wreck the economy with this and other pieces of economic illiteracy, the next step is probably just to confiscate all investments in pension schemes and, if you are lucky, issue 'bonds' in their place - which inflation will rapidly render worthless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure