Tiling wall (6 sqm) and floor (14sqm) for £1700 (£2040 in VAT)

Hi,

Have had a quote through recently as follows:

Kitchen wall and floor tiling estimate
Estimate includes
Wall tiling based on 5 m2
Including adhesive grout trims and sealant.
Floor tiling based on 16 m2
Including supply and fit of tile backer boards, also includes adhesive grout and sealant.
Rate £1700 excl VAT

I've ordered 8 sqm of wall tiles (there is about 6.5sqm allowing for off-cuts) and 14sqm of floor tiles (only 11m2 of floor space to be tiled) so he has the measurements wrong. (note i ordered Extra on-top of extra in case in the future a tile gets damaged, at least i have the same tile to put in its place).

I've worked out that i can get the backer boards (hardiebecker 6mm ones) and Mapei adhesive & colour grout and sealant for just under 500 (and this includes more that would be needed).

So they are charging in essence £97 per 'actual' sqm to be laid including materials or £69 excluding the £500 worth of materials (excluding vat)

I Live in Norfolk, near the Suffolk Border.

Is this a reasonable quote?

Comments

• I am paying 560 to lay 28sq metres which includes grout and the fixing stuff
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • I paid for the tiles hth
  • Just to be clear I’ve already purchased the tiles. The quote does not include tiles. They are ceramic too.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Wall is a days work plus half a day grouting. So say £300 plus vat, plus adhesive and trims etc, say £60.

Floor allow half a day doing backing board. 2.5 days tiling and grouting. 3 days in all. Plus backing board. easily £150 and another £100 on adhesive and grout.

So you do the maths and its about right based on £180 / day which is what I pay my tilers
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,777
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I am paying 560 to lay 28sq metres which includes grout and the fixing stuff

I think that's too cheap to be a good comparison. They've obviously just priced it at £20 a metre, which is properly cheap, especially when it includes materials. I'd worry about quality a little bit.

An average bathroom is about 20 square metres and would take our tiler 4 days @ £185 a day, plus materials and additional time spent affixing tile backer boards, then the OPs quote is reasonable, IMO. I'd also need to give the tiler a good 6 weeks notice!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Doozergirl wrote: »
    I think that's too cheap to be a good comparison. They've obviously just priced it at £20 a metre, which is properly cheap, especially when it includes materials. I'd worry about quality a little bit.

An average bathroom is about 20 square metres and would take our tiler 4 days @ £185 a day, plus materials and additional time spent affixing tile backer boards, then the OPs quote is reasonable, IMO. I'd also need to give the tiler a good 6 weeks notice!

It is cheap and he has done a sterling job, the tiles are so smoothly laid it’s unbelievable. I had to wait 9 weeks to book him in and he has 5* ratings online.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport