From Blobby to Gobby

Comments

• Thanks Cherryfudge, yes a kilo is nothing to worry too much about in the scheme of things. I've been avoiding chocolate for a while now and I've lost the craving for it. Still having something sweet when I want it - yoghurt or cereal - but you can't eat quite as much of it or quite so quickly as chocolate :)

Definitely lost a bit of motivation for posting - mid-month slump I think. Once the last credit card payment goes out later in the month I will update the pay everything off by xmas thread.

I'm doing better on the groceries, this weeks A$da order is under £60, although I will need to buy a couple of bits of meat. I've discovered that I like to go and choose my own cuts of meat, and my veg. leaving A$da to deliver the packets, cans and heavy bottles etc.
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    It's hard to find things to post some days, especially on personal diaries. Coasting between events on your journey can be soul destroying!

I'm going to do the Atkins diet for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. Put my body into ketosis and get some of the fat shifted! :)
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Feels like longer than a week since I last posted. Am getting active again and it takes up a lot of time and effort. So although I can't report a huge weight loss, it's definitely going the right way, just very slowly.

I've decided I miss being fit more than being slim, so have it in my mind that I need to build some strength up before I start a slimming diet, which can make me feel light-headed and a bit weak/hungry and then I end up eating lots of the wrong thing. My legs have started to feel really strong with the running and cycling, and I'm thinking of joining a local gym which has a swimming pool.

Chocolate avoiding is going really well, although I did have a bit at the weekend but enjoyed it all the more having not had any for a while.

Had a much lower price A$da order last week and then cancelled this weeks as am stocked up with everything, so I guess its evening out. Need to buy a couple of things which I don't mind popping into the local supermarket for. Its getting a huge shop that really wears me out, its so tedious. I purchased the mid-week delivery ticket at A$da so at £24/year I don't mind if I only get one or two deliveries a month.

In other news, we ordered a new sofa and so sold the old one on fleabay. We may be without for a few weeks so will have to make do with the chairs for now. Have had the request from the new fuel supplier to read the meters, and am also setting up the new bank account with HSBC. Sadly I have been unable to access the account online as HSBC asked me to send away my security details and I haven't received anything back yet. But on a positive note it means there is still almost £400 in that account :rotfl: Every cloud etc. :A

Won't say much more but that work has been busy and need to make the journey to see mum as she has been a little poorly.

Right signing off, SS1000 :)
  • Seems like I haven't posted for yonks, but its only 9 days.

So nice that payday has been and I can get on with a few more payments. Its been a bit weird this month with the new HSCB account as haven't been able to access online until the last few days. Just got to check that the Debs dd is live and then I can relax. Not sure when the £150 for switching comes through. Update - just looked it up and it says within 50 days. I also spotted the 6 months 0% overdraft offer - forgotten about that - they have given me a £1000 od. I will check that when I check the Debs dd it will be a good buffer to have for when the MOT is due in June and any other unexpected surprises (hopefully none).

So, I have decided to pay £500 to the debts every month PLUS I am going to pay £250 into a HSCB 5% regular saver. Its going to be sooo tight, but I am looking forward to being debt-free next February and will be very close to having £3000 in savings. Seems like a dream, so exciting.

On the grocery front, I was spending loads on the A$da delivery each week, but seem to have hit a wall and full cupboards :eek:. I really need to continue where I left up and keep using up the stores and being more creative with it. Have some fab recipes from MSErs now so no excuses.

On the weight front, have lost about half a pound, and am feeling a bit fitter. On the job front, I'm getting a bit bored to be honest, but I now have a really secure job, close to home so don't really want to make a move at the moment. I need to make the most of the current situation and build up my experience and knowledge for when the time comes. Really don't want to get complacent in any way, but I feel very relaxed and to be honest its really a nice feeling. :D

Signing off, SuperSaver
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Well all the direct debits seem to have worked on my new current account. Still waiting for my £150 switching fee though and haven't decided to do anything with the £1k free overdraft for 6 months. Have 0.75% on my sainsbury saver but it hardly seems worth the effort (I'm not being non-use but I worry about putting myself in more debt, albeit not being spent).

The savings has so far gone to plan. Its sooooo tight though, its going to take a bit of planning and so on to make it work. Excited to think of the debts being fully paid off and money in the bank soonish though.

Weight still hasn't shifted but am gradually building up the exercise. I just can't starve myself so it needs a steady and committed gradual reduction and I'm not the most patient of people.

The Asda order has calmed down a bit now and I've popped into Aldi's a few times as well. That's keeping the monthly budget in check (hopefully).

Not a lot else to report until the month end/start now.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,026 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    1K free overdraft is nice for emergencies but using it still adds to debt... just sayin' :o... so I'm glad you aren't making plans for it.

The £150 will be great when it comes. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • supersaver1000
    1K free overdraft is nice for emergencies but using it still adds to debt... just sayin' :o... so I'm glad you aren't making plans for it.

The £150 will be great when it comes. :)

Thanks Cherryfudge. I'll do exactly that, keep it for emergencies. My car needs an MOT soon and I'm hoping they don't find anything else, but if they do I will have the od to give a few months of free credit :)
  • supersaver1000
    Woohoo!! No Spend Day today :D:beer::j
  • Scott-Weiland
    Scott-Weiland Posts: 481 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2018 at 10:45PM
    Don't starve yourself its best too keep your meals little and often.

Follow these little tips they will all help with weight loss

1) Dont cut salt out of your diet
    2) Drink 2-3 cups of green tea a day its not the nicest tasting stuff try putting a bit orange juice cordial with it too help with the taste.
    3) A must 2 litres of water a day must be drunk, if your dehydrated your body will retain water ie excess weight
    4) Dont eat after 8pm
    5) Try doing 2-3 mornings a week fasted cardio.

Hope this helps
  • supersaver1000
    edited 12 May 2018 at 9:08AM
    Thank you for posting Scott I'm a big believer in little every day steps that become the norm. Your post made me think why I started this thread and so I had a look at the very first post, which was a year ago and had a good think about how far I gone to achieving that.

I said I was going to be more Gobby and less blobby and that it was a new journey to stop hiding my light under a bushel, stop being pushed around and start speaking before I think instead of continually biting my tongue.

I am definitely a different person to a year ago. Last July I graduated with a first class degree which was a great achievement for me, I've changed jobs to something more challenging, applied for others (and though I didn't get them I was pleased with my interviews), have done several courses and got some new qualifications, bought a bike and use it almost daily, taken up running and become more confident, more focussed and feel so much happier - at home and work. My weight has more or less remained stable - which is a huge plus as I was putting on weight like no-ones business and the running / cycling / walking I've been doing means I feel like I have some core / muscles again. So big pat on the back to myself.

So, what next. Well, I think its the end for this thread. I've achieved what I set out to. Definitely not a blob and definitely more gobby - confident and not afraid to speak up - how refreshing is that. Thank you to MSE for seeing me through another phase of life, onto the next exciting phase now :T:T:T:T:beer::beer::j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport