PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

moonlight tenant gone!

Options

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thelem wrote: »
    I was also confused by the term moonlighting. I thought that meant someone who had two jobs.

I suspect that the OP has used the term as a short cut to mean "done a moonlight flit", but because the OP can't be bothered to give us the proper background I'm not getting involved.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2018 at 3:32PM
    Options
    The reason you're getting mixed opinions is because on the one hand, the law affords your tenant a LOT of protection that comes at your expense; on the other hand, the tenant is highly unlikely to make use of any of it. So you have a choice to make between following the law and thereby incurring significant extra expense but no risk, or taking shortcuts that will probably be absolutely fine but run the risk of landing you in hot water. Posters here vary significantly in their levels of risk aversion. Those who've seen a few of my posts will be unsurprised to hear me say I'd personally go for option #2; I'm equally unsurprised by some of the people recommending option #1 :)

Par for the course - living in Britain 2018 (some parts more than others) and there will be people who are "scared of their own shadow" on the one hand and terrified to do anything that might amount to "putting a foot out of place" on the one hand and those thinking "I'll just go in for commonsense - and there shouldnt be a problem" on the other hand).:cool:

Yep....personally - some of us do believe in being straight down the line fair (to both parties) and that may or may not coincide with how the law is currently (ie in the exact year concerned).

NB; Some of us instantly took the term "moonlighting" exactly as meant. The term does, strictly, refer to jobs - but some of us realised that it meant = doing a moonlight flit (ie in this context).
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Indeed. And it amuses me a bit that there's a strong correlation between the sorts of people that say "it's obvious you need to follow the letter of the law" and the people who say "being a landlord is running a business, so you should know this stuff like the back of your hand and live by it" - because I suspect that it's rather common for one-man businesses in other sectors to take certain commonsense legal shortcuts from time to time :)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't believe there's any further information to impart.

The OP has had the law explained; been pointed at sources of information; been advised of practical short-cuts; had the risks associated with those shortcuts spelt out; and has heard from people with varying viewpoints (as is normal on a public forum).

All that remains is for the OP to make a decision, take the appropriate action, and then come back and tell us how it all pans out...........
  • MoneySavingMission
    Options
    I served the official papers to the property - no short-cuts. By the Law. Now i'm out of pocket for legal costs and a for lengthy period and renovation budget for damage. Never mind rogue landlords, it's rogue tenants and lots of them!

thanks to those who offered some kind help on this forum.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 May 2018 at 1:26AM
    Options
    Next time (if you plan to rent out again) don't just rely on credit checks.

1)Look at social media.
    2)If you can, ask for copies of bank statements so you can evaluate the tenants ability to pay rent and spending habits.
    3)Visit where they are living now (make some excuse of needing to talk over tenancy) to see if they look after the property they are living in.

Credit checks only show if they have a bankruptcy or CCJ. Landlord references may not be truthful (particularly so if they are a tenant the LL wants rid of).

Yes, its a lot of work, but you are letting them live in a property worth a lot of money, where you can lose a lot in refurbishment if they are the worst sort of tenant. Its worth time off and travelling costs to prevent thousands in refurb costs. Most tenants won't cause this but any LL needs to avoid the ones who do.

There are ways to filter out such tenants.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    Next time (if you plan to rent out again) don't just rely on credit checks.

1)Look at social media.
    2)If you can, ask for copies of bank statements so you can evaluate the tenants ability to pay rent and spending habits.
    3)Visit where they are living now (make some excuse of needing to talk over tenancy) to see if they look after the property they are living in.

Credit checks only show if they have a bankruptcy or CCJ. Landlord references may not be truthful (particularly so if they are a tenant the LL wants rid of).

Yes, its a lot of work, but you are letting them live in a property worth a lot of money, where you can lose a lot in refurbishment if they are the worst sort of tenant. Its worth time off and travelling costs to prevent thousands in refurb costs. Most tenants won't cause this but any LL needs to avoid the ones who do.

There are ways to filter out such tenants.

The other avenue is to let only high end properties.

I have one rental worth about £1million and I would far rather have this than five worth £200k. You'd think the void risk would be higher with one property than five, but in 14 years I've never had one.
  • mangog
    mangog Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    Frankly if a LL asked me for copies of my bank statements I'd tell them where to shove their house...or perhaps I'd ask to see copies of theirs, so I could be sure they could afford any necessary repairs to the property over the course of the tenancy!
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mangog wrote: »
    Frankly if a LL asked me for copies of my bank statements I'd tell them where to shove their house...or perhaps I'd ask to see copies of theirs, so I could be sure they could afford any necessary repairs to the property over the course of the tenancy!

Maybe the council check the landlords ability to do (pay for) basic repairs?
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 May 2018 at 9:46PM
    Options
    Par for the course - living in Britain 2018 (some parts more than others) and there will be people who are "scared of their own shadow" on the one hand and terrified to do anything that might amount to "putting a foot out of place" on the one hand and those thinking "I'll just go in for commonsense - and there shouldnt be a problem" on the other hand).:cool:

Yep....personally - some of us do believe in being straight down the line fair (to both parties) and that may or may not coincide with how the law is currently (ie in the exact year concerned).

NB; Some of us instantly took the term "moonlighting" exactly as meant. The term does, strictly, refer to jobs - but some of us realised that it meant = doing a moonlight flit (ie in this context).

Some people know what the law is, and others, like you, assume it means whatever is going through their head at the moment they are speaking. You are dangerous on a site like this. You have no idea at all what you are talking about but never let it stop you spouting your opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure