Receiving housing benefit due to being on SSP

Dear Forum/CAB,

I have been off work for 6 months, receiving Statutory Sick pay from my employer. I had planned to move in to my own property and gave notice to the tenants, however they would not move out and I have unfortunately had to serve a section 21, get a possession order and finally the tenants will be evicted on the 12th. So whilst receiving SSP, I have also been effectively homeless and told by everyone I spoke to that they can not help me. Finally last week my mortgage company said that I should been able to get some help or benefit to help pay the bills and also to house myself whilst on sick leave. They recommended I get a M12 form from the Job Centre. The situation has been exacerbated by the fact that any income i have had, has been spent on legal expenses to evict the tenant, and I am in arrears with my mortgage.

Based on what I have explained do you think I am entitled to any benefits? Or any backdated benefits.

Thank you

Comments

• CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    pizzle2012 wrote: »
    Dear Forum/CAB,

I have been off work for 6 months, receiving Statutory Sick pay from my employer. I had planned to move in to my own property and gave notice to the tenants, however they would not move out and I have unfortunately had to serve a section 21, get a possession order and finally the tenants will be evicted on the 12th. So whilst receiving SSP, I have also been effectively homeless and told by everyone I spoke to that they can not help me. Finally last week my mortgage company said that I should been able to get some help or benefit to help pay the bills and also to house myself whilst on sick leave. They recommended I get a M12 form from the Job Centre. The situation has been exacerbated by the fact that any income i have had, has been spent on legal expenses to evict the tenant, and I am in arrears with my mortgage.

Based on what I have explained do you think I am entitled to any benefits? Or any backdated benefits.

Thank you

Hi
    You don't give enough details of your circumstances for me to be able to give definitive answers, but I can give you some pointers.
    Firstly, your SSP finishes after 28 weeks;if you are still unable to work then you will need to apply for ESA (what was Incapacity Benefit).
    You have a property that you let out, but you say you are effectively homeless. Are you renting a property for yourself? In principle you would be entitled to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit but the equity in the property you own would count towards capital -which reduces HB/CTB when above £6000 and reduces to 0 at £16000. You would also have to declare the rent you receive as income.
    You are treated as being in work whilst on SSP for Tax Credit purposes so are potentially entitled to claim - this would be dependent on your family circumstances etc. You might be able to get this backdated but you would need to have a good reason for claiming late.
    If you are converted to income based ESA then you may indeed get some help with your mortgage interest (although highly unlikely if you are not living there) - you can find out more by reading this: http://www.turn2us.org.uk/information__resources/benefits/housing_costs/homeowner_housing_costs_help.aspx

Lastly, you don't say, but I assume you did not have sickness insurance on your mortgage?
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure