Diesel Particulate Filter

Comments

• Trebor16 wrote: »
    The trouble is more and more diesels are being fitted with them.

Indeed but not everyone elses system fills the sump with fuel causing diluted engine oil to rise in level causing only rapid engine bearing wear if you're lucky, and a completely destroyed engine of you're not, and the best bit is it's the owners fault...nice one.

I've had at least one Diesel in my stable since the early 80's, when one of my current cars which is Diesel reaches the end of its useful life it is most unlikely it will be replaced with another unless its an oldie...then you have the worry did the previous owner decide to run it on home brew muck and thats now on its last legs too...;)
  • Certainly I've had few problems with my cars DPF, granted I use the motorway for a spell on my commute.

The technology is certainly not ideal but I have heard of more issues online with Mazdas than any other make.

I remember seeing on the M77 a car- not sure what make as couldn't see it, on the hard shoulder white smoke everywhere drifting across the road. I was down to 5 mph crawling past! It seemed very much like a diesel munching on its own oil to me.
  • Weird_Nev
    Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    I remember seeing on the M77 a car- not sure what make as couldn't see it, on the hard shoulder white smoke everywhere drifting across the road. I was down to 5 mph crawling past! It seemed very much like a diesel munching on its own oil to me.
    TO be fair, that could be any one of a number of failures, not many of which are down to DPFs

But the more I read about DPF's, the more scared I am of them! Looks like petrol will be the way forwards for second hand cars in my future. Just a sahme 90% of everything are diesels now, as everyones been ocnvinced that they MUST have a diesel.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is no need to be afraid of DPF's, just do your research. If you do a low mileage, lots of short trips or drive like a granny, buy a petrol engined car.

The model of car I have has been fitted with a DPF since its introduction in 2006. I'm a member of quite an active international owners's forum and I have yet to see anyone having any problems at all with the DPF, even on the older cars.

The thing just does its job and regenerates when necessary, I assume. I say assume because if it has regenerated I've never been aware of it. The bonus is absolutely no nasty, greasy, soot out the tailpipe and a no diesel smell at all. It smells more like the exhaust from a gas central heating boiler.
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When the DPF blew in my car, I was advised by the mechanic to have a new one as "you're not supposed to take them out". A bit of digging proved him correct as on one forum someone has posted a reply from Vosa saying you can't remove them as it is against Construction and Use (it may increase emissions) even where the ECU is reprogrammed (sorry I didn't keep the link).

However, not being able to get hold of one from a scrappy, and at 600 notes for a new one plus fitting, a return trip to the mechanic resulted in a more reasonable amount of cash changing hands (20 quid) for which he took out the core and welded the unit back together. Apparently he will also get a few quid for the core as it was made from precious metals. As for the C&U stuff? For 600 nicker I'll take the chance. They aren't likely to find out.
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    tripled wrote: »
    When the DPF blew in my car, I was advised by the mechanic to have a new one as "you're not supposed to take them out". A bit of digging proved him correct as on one forum someone has posted a reply from Vosa saying you can't remove them as it is against Construction and Use (it may increase emissions) even where the ECU is reprogrammed (sorry I didn't keep the link).

However, not being able to get hold of one from a scrappy, and at 600 notes for a new one plus fitting, a return trip to the mechanic resulted in a more reasonable amount of cash changing hands (20 quid) for which he took out the core and welded the unit back together. Apparently he will also get a few quid for the core as it was made from precious metals. As for the C&U stuff? For 600 nicker I'll take the chance. They aren't likely to find out.

I think you did you digging in the wrong location as a DPF can be removed without any legal problems.
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • As far as I know diesel engined cars do not require a DPF or catalytic converter by law. Manufacturers just fit them for emissions reasons - at the end of the day you end up paying less tax on the car, which makes it more appealing to potential buyers.

I had the catalytic converter removed from my old diesel Peugeot, and a straight piece of exhaust pipe welded in its place. It went through 2 MOT's fine like that.

Petrol cars after 1993(?) I believe must have a catalytic converter.

My current car has a DPF too, it hasn't been into regeneration yet but I am advised that the best thing to do when it is, is to take it up the dual carriageway at 70mph in 4th gear for a bit to clear it.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice guys, its booked back into the garage tomorrow, so will go from there
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    taffy056 wrote: »
    Hiya guys,

I have a Mazda 6 turbo diesel and the DPF light and management light has come on, its a high miler 85k on a 57 plate, I have run over it 2000 rpm for quite a few miles and its not cleared with regeneration, and was wondering my next step with this.

I was thinking of having it taken out and the ecu reprogrammed , but its expensive at about £500 , there are quite a few people selling snakeoil that claims all sort of things. The garages are saying thousands to replace the thing.

Anyone got an alternative ? Thanks and Happy Christmas ;)

But a new DPF would only cost you about four hundred pounds.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    But a new DPF would only cost you about four hundred pounds.

Yes but it must be fitted , and you are buying patent parts for that price, plus the ECU needs to be reset, you are talking at £1k on that, its a gamble that I am not prepared to pay money for that, the gagrage I am going to tomorrow has sorted this problem before on mazdas and its not going to cost anywhere near that.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure