PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Wednesday 26th September 2018

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Options
    Morning everyone :wave:

I did get the train and go to another town shopping yesterday. I managed to get most of the things I need to take into hospital and most of what I may need at home. I also managed to finish my Christmas present and individual card shopping. Anything else I may need or want I can get online.

I have an appointment at the opticians this morning and then lunch with my neighbour. We are going to our usual place. She has kindly insisted on treating me to lunch. I’m a bit worried about how she will manage with her medical appointments while I’m out of action because I don’t think that she has anyone else who can go with her.

If I want anything to eat this evening there is plenty in to make a sandwich.

A pretty mundane day really, with nothing exciting happening.

Hugs to the TAs.

AOD hope you are starting to feel better. Colds can really make you feel miserable.

I hope that your eye is a bit better this morning Nelski, and that you didn’t spend all day yesterday explaining that no one had hit you.

Camelot I hope you got your car back yesterday after work. At least it has been repaired under warranty, it sounds like a fairly expensive job.

I hope that you all have decent day whatever you are up to.
  • smiling_saver
    Options
    Hi Hollyharvey, your neighbor may be entitled to help with transport to their medical appointments. I know my dad who can't drive anymore because of his eyesight can phone his hospital or his doctors and they will organise patient transport for him. It might be worth her speaking to her surgery/hospital and explain. Dad's in Wales and it's a mix of ambulances and volunteers and when I lived in Buxton, most patient transports was via volunteers who were booked via GP,

I'm laughing because it's still Tuesday evening here in the USA and I'm commenting on the Wednesday thread. I found myself reading these posts over the last few weeks and only took the plunge yesterday to comment. I feel like you are all so close. That I'm a bit of an invader. But you seem so nice.

Plans for the morning include making some bread then dreaded grocery shopping for October. Yuk
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    Morning all and thank you for starting the thread Hollyharvey. Your day sounds good and I'd echo the suggestion about patient transport.

Hello smiling saver, welcome, this is a kind and supportive group.

I am still sneezing and croaking, fed up with it now. Have hardly slept but I can go back to bed later if I need to.

Again, no plans for today, well for the week really, nothing to cancel. I'm keeping the paper tissue industry afloat. My OH is very anti paper handkerchiefs but a proper hankerchief wouldn't be enough and at least I can dispose of paper ones.

Thinking of the TAS and if those who are sad or worried.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • ScarletRibbons
    Options
    Good morning, and thank you Holly, for starting.
    It seems mild out there this morning, I believe the forecast is good, might get some washing out.

Welcome,smiling saver, good to hear from you. As AOD has said, this is a nice group, not one where people tear into you like they do on some of the boards. Keep posting!! You're not an invader.

I've been awake for quite a while, I've finally given in and come downsatirs to make coffee. I know I'll be tired later, but hey ho.

Holly, glad you managed to finish your shopping yesterday, It's off your mind now. Like the others have said, your neighbour may be able to get help. My dad was able to, usually with volunteer drivers.

Aod, your cold sounds terrible, hope you'll be ok, there's not a lot you can do is there. I hope you get some sleep later.

Yesterday went as planned, I enjoyed my tai chi class, and went for coffee afterwards with some of the other group members. I called at M*rrisons on the way home, and found loads of half price chicken fillet packs in the reduced section, so I bought 3. Funny, it was the same last Tuesday, I bought 3 then and put them in the freezer. We had some for tea last night, and the rest is in the freezer.
    Had a good night at the quiz with friends, we got home about 10.45.

Today, just the usual stuff will be done, might pop down and see DD and the baby.

Nelski, hope you're ok, and haven't damaged yourself any more through the night.

Thinking of everyone who is ill, or struggling with life, especially the TA's.

Take care folks.
  • nannywindow
    Options
    Morning all and yes I know it's very early from me, but I have woken from a nightmare and my heart is still pounding :eek:. As Mr Fix It is still sleeping ( he's normally the early riser ) and I didn't want to disturb his beauty sleep, I have got up and made a cup of tea, whilst trying to calm down.
    Today we have to collect his script from the surgery and get it filled at the chemist, don't know whether to go to our usual one in town as it's market day and will be quite busy, or try a local one which doesn't have much available parking. I will check at my surgery too, to see if my script is ready, it doesn't matter if mine is not ready yet as I still have enough tablets till next week.
    It's just getting light and I don't know if it will be a lovely drying day, so I will wait a while as I have a load to put in the WM.
    I shall have a general potter about today and sort out the van stuff I brought home yesterday. Some of it will need washing.... the inside shelves of the fridge for a start !
    Tea tonight will be bacon and egg etc and there is ice cream for pudding.
    smiling_saver welcome, we are a lovely caring bunch. What part of the USA are you from ? Don't need to tell me if you don't want, I'm just a nosey parker :rotfl:
    TA hope you and yours have a good day, thinking of you all.
    Nelski how's the eye this morning ?
    Holly thanks for the start off. Hope you have a good day

AOD sending you a gentle hug........ from a distance :D. Hope you feel better very soon.
    ScarlettR well done on the reduced items, I never seem to get a bargain :(

Hope everyone has a good Wednesday. Take care and hugs to all.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • camelot1001
    Options
    Morning All

It's wet and windy out this morning but really mild, one of those days I don't know what to wear, the heating in school could be on or off, there's no telling.

I was lucky yesterday, a work colleague lives in the town where I had to pick the car up from so got a lift there after work, saved getting the train. The car is fine now, no wobble when braking.

Nothing much to do after work apart from clean the bathrooms and I really must start to pack a case for the weekend, I'm going to DS1s in The Netherlands after work on Friday for the weekend, really looking forward to seeing him and his lovely GF.

How's the eye Nelski?
    Thinking of you TA.

Have a good Wednesday, hugs to all in need. Take care. XX
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Blooming freezing here last night I was sat in thick socks joggers T-shirt and fleece with a blanket over me and I was frozen, so I lit the fire I cant tell you how warm and cosy it was :j

Work today and another group of clients today we have one sleepy one, one who wont stop singing and pretending to be on Jeremy Kyle and two others, its always a fun day !!

Dinner tonight is some pork steaks with mash and veg im trying to empty the fridge as much as I can before Friday, Csarina they are coming between 7 and 12 Saturday so it will have to defrost over night Friday ive got cold boxes and ice pcks so should be fine, the freeer stuff can go to work with me so it will only be fridge stuff.

Bella its a shame you are not nearer we always need volunteers at work and its always a good laugh xx

Smiling Saver welcome xx

Camelot your weekend sounds lovely, enjoy xx

Thinking of the Ta's as always xx

Have good days all xx
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Good morning :)

Still pretty dark here but does seem a lot warmer. Preparing for sone sun bathing on Thurs according to the weather peeps

Well the saga of the mysterious black eye continues :cool::cool2: note presence of sunglasses now
    I had such a laugh reading all your hilarious comments yesterday. I don't think I sleep walk but hey how do I know I guess. I did try a good layer of slap but I doubt it covered it much so glasses it is today

Good ish day yesterday except for one delegate who was such a pain and a hideous trip back ....nearly 4 hours for 65miles ridiculous. Did my usual early to bed thing after a big mug of heinz Tomy soup so at least I caught up a bit.Working tonight so no early nights for me.

Out to lunch today so I have more explaining to do about my eye. Think Ill start making stories up about viscious microwave doors or even better nansallergic black eye

Welcome smiling_saver you will like it here :cool:

Hugs to TA

Have a great day all
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

Wild winds and heavy rain here with thick grey cloud over everything.

AOD - I like 'proper' handkerchiefs too though I don't use them. They don't make my nose sore when I've got a cold. Paper ones do, they're made from wood. I rely heavily on Vaseline or Vick to keep my nose from getting all red and raw by rubbing some on the skin after every blow.

This morning I've got a teaching session first thing and then my day is wide open. I need a little shopping and I'll probably light the wood burner for the first time. It hasn't been used since March.

Thoughts to all.

Happy Wednesday folks.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Bright and sunny here but bbrr cold, it is meant to get warm again though, lovely.
    I am waiting for a call/message from my farrier to let me know what time he’s coming to pop Lu’s shoe back on, generally leave it to him as he doesn’t charge to replace it, that’s providing you have found the shoe!
    Other than that not many plans, I still haven’t planted out my winter baskets so need to crack on with that as everything is looking a bit sorry for itself, have re-potted my fushcias and they are tucked away in a sheltered spot, hopefully they will survive.
    Welcome to smiling_saver, pull up a chair and help yourself to tea :D
    Note to our cold sufferers, I always pop some Sudocrem on my nose at night, stops the soreness.
    Thinking of the TA’s and Poppy
    Hugs to all with worries and cares.

Have a good day folks x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills