PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Rice pudding

Comments

• Whitefiver
    Whitefiver Posts: 688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There is no discussion, the skin is the IS the best bit of a rice pudding, especially if dotted with butter in the oven, liberally sprinkled with nutmeg, brown around the edges....... drool!
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Whitefiver wrote: »
    There is no discussion, the skin is the IS the best bit of a rice pudding, especially if dotted with butter in the oven, liberally sprinkled with nutmeg, brown around the edges....... drool!

Ooh no...! :eek:
    Skin on custard :drool:
    Skin on rice pudding _pale_
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    -taff wrote: »
    I can't remember if I found it in the rice section or the home baking section or the rice pudding/custard section, I only remember that I was looking in the wrong place to start when I went to the SM looking for it a couple of years ago.

It was in the section with the meringues and tins of custard in Tesco last time I bought it.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • THIRZAH wrote: »
    Sometimes pudding rice isn't with the other rice in supermarkets. Our branch of T**** has it with dessert items such as custard powder and jelly.

Unfortunately I only have the T3sc0 extra near me so they don't tend to stock very much. When I go to the larger store I can usually get some but as I'm next door to an a1d1 and t3sc0 is so blooming expensive I don't go very often
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    My own experience cooking rice pudding using "ordinary" rice, with a fellow caver was not a culinary success although the club laughed at us for years... (I'm not sure if we washed it enough, too much, at all or just didn't add milk or something fundamental.)

It sure as heck did not slop & I don't recall a skin (other than mine, vividly pink.)

Mind you, cooking in a tent is usually a bit erratic & that was certainly part of the fun.
    If anyone has a bombproof, use an oven and the very best of each ingredient recipe, I would love to be introduced, that I might try to redeem myself.
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    My own experience cooking rice pudding using "ordinary" rice, with a fellow caver was not a culinary success although the club laughed at us for years... (I'm not sure if we washed it enough, too much, at all or just didn't add milk or something fundamental.)

It sure as heck did not slop & I don't recall a skin (other than mine, vividly pink.)

Mind you, cooking in a tent is usually a bit erratic & that was certainly part of the fun.
    If anyone has a bombproof, use an oven and the very best of each ingredient recipe, I would love to be introduced, that I might try to redeem myself.

You can make a very nice rice pudding in a saucepan, I believe that is how chefs in restaurants make it. I have had a lot of failures trying to cook it in the oven but always make a nice rice pudding in a saucepan, no skin though I'm afraid. I usually add stewed fruit to it and its a yummy dessert.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    You can make a very nice rice pudding in a saucepan, I believe that is how chefs in restaurants make it. I have had a lot of failures trying to cook it in the oven but always make a nice rice pudding in a saucepan, no skin though I'm afraid. I usually add stewed fruit to it and its a yummy dessert.
    What steweth you? I would be very reluctant to stir in something acidic (like apple stew) to a hot rice pudding.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    What steweth you? I would be very reluctant to stir in something acidic (like apple stew) to a hot rice pudding.

I don't mix it in! Its usually stewed plums with cinnamon. I put it on top and it can be eaten cold or hot
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I do my rice pud in a slow cooker with evaporated milk a large tin plus about a quarter of a pint of fresh milk the tine diluted with a tin and a half of water 3ozs of rice and a tablespoon of caster sugar and a good sprinkle of cinnamon cooked low overnight will make a 2 pint pud that will taste delicious and once cold keeps well in the fridge for several days I have it with custard or fruit
  • I always use the normal value rice and it works fine
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family