PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• Crochet_Teapot
    Crochet_Teapot Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2014 at 5:45PM
    I've ordered and received quite a few Christmas presents and have even wrapped some of them. I'd like to order the rest by the end of this week. I'm not a massive fan of Christmas - I hate the consumerism and over indulgence. And also find it a little sad (my parents split up just before Xmas when I was a child). So I try to keep it simple and see it as a mid-winter celebration (I'm not religious).

A bit of snow/frost/sun would be nice. I hate rain which is all we seem to get here at the moment. It's quite slippery as there are loads of soggy leaves around at the moment.
  • Hi TEAPOT I always see the solstice as the pivot of the year, a time when all the resting things start to wake up and remember how to grow in the spring and as the days start to get lighter it feels like softly pressing the accelerator of life and gently easing the world into wakefulness after a much needed rest. The first little green stirrings make me very happy and give hope of summer warmth ahead don't they?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    MrsL, are you going to the christmas markets? I've been googling images of them. Passport needs renewed and we are not going to bother, so I won't be going - but it's nice to dream isnt it?
  • Oh YES we are!!!!! and the pictures only give you a tiny part of the whole there is the tingling cold, the sound of the music and people being happy, the delicious food aromas which make you hungry even when you're well fed. Then there is that wonderful part of the day as it begins to get dark and it gets even colder and the Weinachts Markts come alive again with the evening crowds. It's so good natured, family, and fun. My favourite market is the Marion Kirche Markt in Unter den Linden where they have a big wheel made of Gingerbread Houses and they have blankets in to put over your knees, it has a little outdoor ice rink and 3' high skating aids that are penguins for learners and a real live nativity under a thatched roof oh it's magic. Renew that passport my girl, it's something everyone should experience and enjoy!!!
  • Mar, I echo what Lyn has said/ Hmself and I went to Cologne and Bonn Christmas markets and it was a wonderful experience.

My goodness it was cold but the atmosphere was lovely, especially in the evening when families were enjoying thmselves and as Lyn says the smells of the different foods.

We brought back the most wonderful gingerbread house for our granddaughter, which wasn't easy, because we travelled by coach, and not a bit of it was broken.

You must go, if not this year, try for next, I am sure you will love it.

Candlelightx
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh I love the idea of Xmas markets! I might not get to one this time, the children are still quite small and not really tolerant of crowds. The one nearest us does get very crowded. But I love the atmosphere, and of course the exotic treats ;)

They were very disappointed not to get snow last year, and my youngest has been asking will it snow since they went back to school in September :rotfl:

I've a day at home tomorrow with the little one, so we are going to check through her footwear I think.

Would be good if we could leave the bickering on the old thread, please!
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Hi TEAPOT I always see the solstice as the pivot of the year, a time when all the resting things start to wake up and remember how to grow in the spring and as the days start to get lighter it feels like softly pressing the accelerator of life and gently easing the world into wakefulness after a much needed rest. The first little green stirrings make me very happy and give hope of summer warmth ahead don't they?

What a lovely way to put it...yes absolutely:)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ooh a new thread - I might join, rather than lurk.

Mrs LW - Berlin sounds "wunderbar" :D:p I walked through the Birmingham christmas market on Monday and you can't help but feel festive - even if you don't want to yet. :cool: I may treat myself to a couple of tree decorations (my collecting hobby, usually from holidays but i have only got one new one this year :()

My cupboard is getting fairly stocked - the local shop had 5 large cans of Hinz Beenz today for £2 which seemed a reasonable deal. I have coats, gloves, hats, fleeces and fleecey blankets.

We have one window - the dining room - which is just vertical blinds and can be a very cold spot - there is nowhere to hang a curtain but I do keep pondering what to do. it is double glazed but still can be brisk if you are sat there. It is a wide span for a sprung pole in the recess with anything but the flimsiest curtain, I'd rather like a window quilt in there but i can't think how to carry the weight. :-/
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • My christmas starts when I visit family in Essen and most evenings are spent at the 'big' weinachtsmarkt in the city and the smaller one in the area close to where they live. As MrsLW says the sounds, smells of gingerbread and spicy gluwien , the decorated trees, especially those whose leaves have gone , in the squares, is magical for me!!
    The crisp cold air is invigorating, and I have learnt a lot from my german ddil about winter preps and dressing for warmth. Although they don't have the cold damp and wet snow we have here.
    As my contribution to winter prepping, I love my wool duvet, and hand knitted socks...[must knit more! ]
    Caz
    Saving for another hound :j
    :staradmin from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 £1211, SPC 8 £1027 SPC 7 £937.24, SPC 6 £973.4 SPC 5 £1949, SPC 4 £904.67 SPC 4 £980.27
  • I'd really love a cup of tea when I get in in the evenings as there's nothing quite as nice as a lovely warm drink on a cold evening.

But if I have tea then I'll never sleep as my sleep patterns are bad enough as it is. Can't have herbal tea because it all tastes like wet cardboard to me.

I must say that in this weather one of the most simple pleasures is a nice hot water bottle. I deliberately let my feet get cold in the 10 minutes before I go to bed JUST so it feels extra nice. I hope I'm not the only one that does this :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback