PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Family of 5 'shop from home'food storage challenge...

Options

Comments

• soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    D&DD wrote: »
    Hi Sammy here's the apple braid one :D
    Dough.
    1 sachet yeast
    15 oz strong bread flour
    3/4 tsp salt
    4 tbspn sugar (less if wanted)
    4 1/2 tbspn butter
    2 eggs
    6 fl oz milk

I find this comes out a bit on the sticky side sometimes so you may need a bit of extra flour to hand *I make this up in my MR haven't tried it in the Panny yet!*
    Set for white bread dough..

Filling.
    2 eating apples
    1 1/2 tsp plain flour
    2 tbspn sugar
    3/4 tspn cinammon
    3/4 tspn lemon juice
    3 tbspns sultanas

Peel,core and chop apples into small pieces toss with the remaining ingredients.

Roll out dough to 1/3 inch thick rectangle shape.Mark lightly from top to bottom into thirds without cutting!! On the outer thirds make diagonal cuts about 1 inch wide.

Place the filling down the centre of the dough then plait the dough over the top.

Cover loosely and rise for 30 mins then bake for approx 30 mins til golden brown.Gas mark 4/180 c/350 f

stores018.jpg

These cooked up fast so do keep an eye on them after about 15 mins..as you can see I went for a wander round the garden and just caught mine in time :rotfl:
    Will dig out the brownie recipe and add it in a sec,the recipe is for gluten free ones but I presume you can substitute normal flour instead :confused: ,you know I'm going to have to make some more of these now don't you :rotfl: any excuse for chocolate!!

Hope your little one feels better soon !!!

I don't understand this bit

Roll out dough to 1/3 inch thick rectangle shape.Mark lightly from top to bottom into thirds without cutting!! On the outer thirds make diagonal cuts about 1 inch wide.

Place the filling down the centre of the dough then plait the dough over the top.

Why do I need to make diagonal cuts through the pastry and how can I plait the pastry if I haven't cut it into thirds?

Please forgive me if I'm being thick - it's been a very, very long day
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 July 2009 at 12:28AM
    Options
    No it is confusing at first, there's a photo of a part-done braid here

If you imagine the piece of rolled dough in 3's - the middle third is the bit lying on the table and where you will spread the filling, either side you have another third, cut into strips so you can bring them forward and plait them over the top. hth ;)

edited to add - I found bigger pictures of how to do a braid here
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks rosieben, just off to get my ingredients now....
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Do you think it would work with puff pastry, ending up something like a slice of Danish pastry?
    Sandy
  • northwest1965
    Options
    D&DD wrote: »
    Dough.
    1 sachet yeast
    15 oz strong bread flour
    3/4 tsp salt
    4 1/2 tbspn butter
    2 eggs
    6 fl oz milk

I find this comes out a bit on the sticky side sometimes so you may need a bit of extra flour to hand *I make this up in my MR haven't tried it in the Panny yet!*

Filling.
    2 eating apples
    1 1/2 tsp plain flour
    2 tbspn sugar
    3/4 tspn cinammon
    3/4 tspn lemon juice
    3 tbspns sultanas

Peel,core and chop apples into small pieces toss with the remaining ingredients.

Cover loosely and rise for 30 mins then bake for approx 30 mins til golden brown.Gas mark 4/180 c/350 f

stores018.jpg

These cooked up fast so do keep an eye on them after about 15 mins..as you can see I went for a wander round the garden and just caught mine in time :rotfl:

I want to cook Apple Braids this afternoon, can anyone tell me....do I have to prove the dough and then roll out?
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    D&#8517 wrote: »
    Dough.
    1 sachet yeast
    15 oz strong bread flour
    3/4 tsp salt
    4 1/2 tbspn butter
    2 eggs
    6 fl oz milk

Filling.
    2 eating apples
    1 1/2 tsp plain flour
    2 tbspn sugar
    3/4 tspn cinammon
    3/4 tspn lemon juice
    3 tbspns sultanas

stores018.jpg

Will dig out the brownie recipe and add it in a sec,the recipe is for gluten free ones but I presume you can substitute normal flour instead :confused: ,you know I'm going to have to make some more of these now don't you :rotfl: any excuse for chocolate!!

Hope your little one feels better soon !!!

Shamelessly bumping this up for any newbies who haven't seen it before.

I am making some later this week - best breadmaker recipe ever! Obviously I only use the dough function. I usually use the dough to make iced buns or cinnamon buns - they are lush because the dough is so gorgeous.

Rosieben - if you happen to see this - do you happen to remember how much cheese/onion you used when you did a savoury one, please?
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    sandy2 wrote: »
    Do you think it would work with puff pastry, ending up something like a slice of Danish pastry?
    Sandy

I'd LOVE to know if this would work - but 'what the heck' ............? I've got a pack of defrosted Puff Pastry in the fridge and 5 Large Jars of very good quality mincemeat (4 of which I got for FREE and the other is 'Frank Cooper' bought on whoopsie).

Nothing to lose and edible goodies to be 'possibly' gained ....................... :T
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a fantastic thread, I'm going to read it all through.
    Where's D&DD now?
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    Haven't noticed D & DD around over last little while, although when you read the thread you'll see she has her hands full with the family.

I loved this thread and have it saved but am also going to read it again as our circumstances have changed and I'm about to embark on a similar challenge with the stores myself. :)
  • Tikitaki
    Options
    What an amazing blog!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills