Comments

• gonzo127
    gonzo127 Posts: 4,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jox wrote: »
    https://www.meetup.com/

Here's the meetup website, you need to register

Hope you find some good groups to join :)

arg you bear me to it!!!!

all I can say is join some of the 'social' groups as well as any more focused that you fancy.

the social ones around me tend to have more chilled activities (in my mind) such as pub quizes and comedy nights as well as theatre trips. I have been finding these easier to join in with, as the more focused meet up groups (we have a table top/ board games one here for example) already has its game playing teams, so have found them more diffcult to interact with myself. not saying they are not nice people but I have personally found it more difficult to open up with them but something like a pub quiz is easier to me
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a £100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = £7 a week ~ £28 a month
    20p per product = £14 a week ~ £56 a month
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • Single_Dad_Still
    Options
    Thank you both - I didn’t know such a thing existed!!! I’ve joined up and “committed” to going to a quiz next Tuesday evening!!!

Scared but hopefully it’s a step in the right direction :)
  • gonzo127
    Options
    Thank you both - I didn!!!8217;t know such a thing existed!!! I!!!8217;ve joined up and !!!8220;committed!!!8221; to going to a quiz next Tuesday evening!!!

Scared but hopefully it!!!8217;s a step in the right direction :)

scared I can understand. the first one I went to I was nervous driving to. then couldn't find them in the place initially and was about to walk out when one of the people mentioned that I looked a little lost lol. at least it broke the ice

just remember it's small steps like this that will lead to the changes which will help you move forward (at least that's what I keep telling myself) just try to remember that everyone who is in that group probably had to go through the same scary first meet up as you are doing. so don't stress if you are not entirely yourself.

and yes it is a step in the right direction.
    Drop a brand challenge
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • Single_Dad_Still
    Options
    Ok, it!!!8217;s been 15 minutes and I!!!8217;m already panicking!!!

How do I know who the people in the group I!!!8217;m meeting are?
  • Single_Dad_Still
    Options
    Sorry for the punctuation. :rotfl:
  • gonzo127
    Options
    Ok, it!!!8217;s been 15 minutes and I!!!8217;m already panicking!!!

How do I know who the people in the group I!!!8217;m meeting are?

on the meet up page there is a list of people attending. most people will have a profile picture so you can try to remember who they are. there is also a meet up app so you can download it and take the 'pictures' with you and even message the people directly when you get there saying you can't see them and can someone please find you etc.

honestly chill yourself. the event organiser will also usually be keeping their eyes open for the people who have signed up as well and are used to people being new. so in my case came up to me and said hello.
    Drop a brand challenge
  • gonzo127
    Options
    oh and on the page for the quiz you have signed up to. there is a bit at the bottom In. which you can say hello. something like comment or discussion. but something which can help start chatting to people before you even get there
    Drop a brand challenge
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Usually there will be someone down as organiser - message them, they will often meet you. Or as above, post on the page you are new, someone will look out for you.

I did it after a messy breakup, best decision ever, met some amazing people, had a lot of fun, a few girlfriends (even though everyone says its not for dating). I did it because I wanted more guy friends - dating sites make it easy to meet a partner, but I wanted more mates. Made more of both sexes and someone who is one of my best mates.

Stick with it, takes the nerves as excitement - remember these are people that want to be sociable.

Good luck!
  • gonzo127
    edited 13 April 2018 at 12:23AM
    Options
    think you probably need to ignore my advice as I have just found out my ex has set up a online dating profile only 5 weeks after she dumped me and I am so unbelievably hurt angry and upset so obviously I don't know !!!!!! I am talking about. as all I want to do is message her and tell her what I think right this moment

I am so broken hearted I just want to curl up and die to just stop the pain
    Drop a brand challenge
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There was nothing wrong with your advice, Gonzo. Sorry to hear you're having a hard time getting over your ex. If love is unrequited, it can be very painful - but it's never going to work and isn't right if one doesn't feel the same way. Try to remember that can only mean that you've not found THE ONE yet and they're still out there. You may not find them tomorrow or this year, but hopefully your paths will cross soon.

Your ex is an ex - and can meet new people. Remember, she made the decision which probably took a while so she's had far longer to get over you. I don't see how you can be angry with her for looking for love still. I know it hurts though.

Don't make any contact!!!!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family