PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Monna your day made me laugh and I needed a laugh, ty! I've got a seriously ratty RV who has started to be one of those awkward difficult contrary Old Sods. OK so he was always like that but when younger he got away with it but not any more! Every single thing I do is wrong and they could make a great sitcom about the two of us in one kitchen doing christmas dinner.
    Add to that my son is coming to put up lights - his christmas present to me which I really want. But he left it until today, is currently in town doing last minute shopping complete with wife and kids, and by the time he gets here he will demented and the kids will be hyper. And he has to go up into the loft to drill holes in the ceiling and last time he did that he fell through the bedroom ceiling..
    All in all it does not bode well for my day and my lights. Please send calming vibes.
    Or gin.
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wishing all my fencer friends a wonderful xmas whatever your doing. I'm working next 3nights so may "see" some insomniacs but if not will read along and post when I can.
    Hugs to all that need and take care xx
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I've been avoiding the fence all day. I just don't know what to write considering the deep sadness we have amongst us.

Whatever the day brings or how it makes us feel, I wish for us all to manage a feet up moment with something warm (however warming that substance may be... sloe gin here ;) ) and some quiet contemplation of the content kind. I know it will be difficult for some of us to even mange that but if we can we'll be richer than the a person who has it all.

Memories bring smiles as much as new experiences and I am willing that a memory will bring about a smile for those of us who are sad. Much love to all. x
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello fencers :santa2:
    Just popping by to wish everyone a Peaceful Christmas.
    I also wanted to send much love and support to those of you having a difficult time.
    Oh and to Mardatha, copious amounts of mulled wine, sorry no gin :).
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    I would like to wish you all what ever you wish of Christmas. I'm just going to bake 2 loaf type cakes and some some chocolate chip muffins for DS. He was home from work at 12 noon having been for a drink and getting a lift home.

He has not got the muffin tin down from the top of the units so I will have to wait for him to wake up as he is having a nap.

No thanks for the gin it tastes like nasty medicine to me. They did not add syrups to medicine when I was a child. I usually got a sweet I was not keen on to follow. My dad bought the sweets he liked and as they were on ration there was no alternative.

MMF007 I hope the hospital invites you for Christmas dinner. May you and your mother get enough rest in the next two days.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 December 2017 at 3:57PM
    Options
    So what did you do on Christmas Eve Grandmama?

Well, my darling, I spent the morning trying to lever the tops off mince pies to refill them with more acceptable mincemeat, tossing the broken pieces into a bowl. Having surveyed the resulting mincemeat and pastry sandwiches and found them slightly wanting in the artistic sense, I dredged them heavily with icing sugar. The newly converted Vegan in the family is now catered for, bless him!
    Did I waste the broken messy pieces? Heavens to Betsy, NO. I am an old styler.
    Mashed up in a bowl and drenched in double cream they made a most acceptable lunch. If you meet me on the Weight loss thread please forget that you ever read that last sentence, especially if, by that time, I am shaking my head in wonderment at how I could have possibly put on so much weight.

Kitchen now restored to some sort of normality.

My carol service about to start shortly so see you later.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Options
    No church for me today (in theory I was meant to go this morning as it's the 4th Sunday of Advent, and then at 6 p.m. for the First Mass of Christmas - I can't stay awake late enough to go to Midnight mass any more! - but my digestive system is misbehaving so it's a quiet day at home instead. Hopefully I'll be feeling up to going tomorrow morning instead!

Thinking of you all and sending the biggest (((HUGS))) possible.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    The only time I ever liked church was at Midnight Mass, I miss it.
    The day went well, the lights are up and lovely and the ceiling is still whole. Had a lovely blether with son and with Emily who can talk for 4 hours without once inhaling. Now sitting quietly with me knitting. :)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 December 2017 at 7:12PM
    Options
    Good evening all. I hope you've all had a good day and tomorrow is just as you'd like it to be :)

I'll be around but I imagine many of you won't so all the best to you all, especially those struggling, who will be uppermost in my thoughts xx
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Phew. Time to draw breath. I'm glad that all is festive at chez vous mar, and that you still have a ceiling intact.

I still have to finish knitting a cushion cover for DIL, then I have to sew two of them up and sew on wooden buttons.

Am sitting with a cup of hot chocolate and watching Carols from Kings. I listened this afternoon and am watching this evening. I really is Christmas for me.

Can't help thinking about those going through dark times.

Karcher, I will definitely be here sometime tomorrow. Much though I love my family there's only so much I can take. The more I am by myself the more I like it. At least I have the excuse of the dog to get home early, I really don't like leaving her too long.

Now, on with the knitting.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills