How to stop cat using doormat as toilet

We're having a really unpleasant problem with a cat (at least we assume it's a cat - we haven't actually caught it in the act) defecating on our front door mat. It used to happen occasionally, then became more and more frequent, to the point where last weekend we resorting to throwing away the doormat, thoroughly cleaning the front of the house and liberally applying the product 'scoot'. This stopped the behaviour for about a week but yesterday it happened again - this time in broad daylight when it previously happened mostly at night or early in the morning. I'm really at my wit's end, it's absolutely revolting and we can't afford to buy a new doormat every week. Does anyone have any experience getting cats to stop this sort of behaviour? Unfortunately we live in an urban area with lots of cats, including a number of spraying tomcats who I suspect are responsible for this as well. We don't have a pet ourselves as my OH is allergic.

Comments

• Laconic
    Laconic Posts: 186
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Scat mat. Replace your doormat with one. Won't happen again. Get a second doormat for wiping your feet inside the house.
    LBM: June 2023. Amount owed: ~£10,000I've gone debt free before, I can do it again!
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Get off crystals have worked well on my lawn
  • TrixA
    TrixA Posts: 450
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Laconic wrote: »
    Scat mat. Replace your doormat with one. Won't happen again. Get a second doormat for wiping your feet inside the house.

I had to google Scat mat, but it appears that this product is only for use indoors?
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Could you set up a camera to keep watch so that when you eventually spot the guilty party you could perhaps set off some sort of water spray? Yes it might take some setting up and a little patience but think of the satisfaction...
    Pants
  • TrixA
    Forumite
    warehouse wrote: »
    Could you set up a camera to keep watch so that when you eventually spot the guilty party you could perhaps set off some sort of water spray? Yes it might take some setting up and a little patience but think of the satisfaction...

I'm envisaging a scene out of the movie Home Alone, but with cats instead of burglars :rotfl: In reality I would probably end up soaking the postman.
  • Laconic
    Laconic Posts: 186
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    There are outdoor versions of scat mats. As a cat has to stand there to poop, it'll convince it in pretty short order to find someplace else.
    LBM: June 2023. Amount owed: ~£10,000I've gone debt free before, I can do it again!
  • TrixA
    Forumite
    Laconic wrote: »
    There are outdoor versions of scat mats. As a cat has to stand there to poop, it'll convince it in pretty short order to find someplace else.

I can't find these outdoor versions - can you post a link?

In any case I can't see that this would be practical given that the location is a doormat - I'd probably just end up shocking myself or visitors to the house.
  • I had a similar problem, but with my own cat on an indoor mat.

I'd go with the suggestion of removing the outdoor mat, at least for a while. Hopefully you can break the habit of the offending cats, and then return it. But you could get a mat just inside your door for a few weeks.

You also need to thoroughly clean the area. I know you said you have, but did you use bleach? Bleach, and "...with bleach" cleaning products will contain ammonia. This smells almost exactly like cat wee, and will actually encourage cats to go there. I suggest using something like "Wee Away", or similar pet odour and stain remover. It's not hugely expensive. But if you don't want to buy any, try something like washing up liquid to clean it.

Once it's thoroughly clean, you can make the area smell very unattractive. Cats generally hate the smell of citrus. You can buy citronella sprays, or I used lemon essential oil (dirt cheap on amazon). As it's outside, you can apply pretty liberally, and keep applying every day as the smell with wear or wash off.

My cat took about a week to lose interest in weeing on that spot. So I would keep applying the citrus smell for at least that long. One last thing, if your outside mat is a coir type mat (hairy bristles), they can often mimic an area where a cat would naturally go. I would swap to a rubber mat. Not so great at cleaning boots, but much less attractive to cats.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,124
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've often wondered about scattering drawing pins about.

Another option would be to acquire a motion detecting dog barking machine!
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    wash it down with bio soap powder to get rid of the amonena
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income