Waitrose,Coupons and Alcohol

molley
molley Posts: 528 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 28 July 2018 at 9:44PM in Supermarket coupons
Here's an odd one .
I happened to see a banner splashed across Waitroses website last night and it made reference to the Minimum Alcohol Pricing Legislation in Scotland from May this year.
What it says is :---
"Due to the launch of minimum unit pricing from 1 May 2018, we are unable to accept any money-off vouchers or coupons on shopping containing alcohol"

Tesco,Asda,Iceland and Sainsburys don't appear to be taking this line as far as I can tell.
The only logic I can guess at is that Waitrose have considered that if they accept a money off voucher against an order containing alcohol then that in part or in full reduces the cost of the alcohol being bought so bypasses the Minimum price legislation . The way round this would be to buy your alcohol and pay for it ,put it in your car ( if you have one) then return to the store,buy your groceries and use the voucher that way .Online customers don't have that luxury so either cant use a voucher or dont buy booze.

It seems an odd line to take...couldn't Waitrose say that a voucher would first be taken off the cost of groceries and if that used up the voucher then that would be the end of the matter ...if it didn't then presumably the vouchers would be refused.

Anyone come across this or any thoughts .

Looks like ScotGov advice contradicts what Waitrose are saying ...they seems to be saying that vouchers which have a cash value can properly be used .

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sainsburys does not allow money off coupons against any alcohol in Scotland - I believe cannot collect Nectar points on alcohol either.

Elsewhere, does not allow money off spirits, liquors and wine when its on buy 6 save 25%.

If you do have a money off coupon, you can buy the above, providing you spend whatever is on the coupon before the alcohol. So if you have £6 off £30, you have to spend the £30 on other groceries, general merchandise, clothing etc then you can buy alcohol.

I know someone that works for a Sainsburys in Scotland and they can't get discount on any alcohol. She lives near Petershead so too far to nip over the border
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sainsburys does not allow money off coupons against any alcohol in Scotland - I believe cannot collect Nectar points on alcohol either.

Yep that's right, can only collect nectar points when the buy 6 save 25% isn't on.

Elsewhere, does not allow money off spirits, liquors and wine when its on buy 6 save 25%.

I know someone that works for a Sainsburys in Scotland and they can't get discount on any alcohol. She lives near Petershead so too far to nip over the border

Its the same for in the UK, no discount on spirits.

Replies in blue.
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 July 2018 at 1:27PM
    Are you not missing the point though...if you have a money off voucher which has no conditions such as minimum spend then surely .as the Scotgov site says, it should be treated as cash which they WOULD accept thereby making no difference to what the alcohol cost. Instead of handing over a £5 note you hand over a £5 voucher ....same difference .
    Perhaps this makes things clearer but looks as if Waitrose has taken a different line and banning all vouchers where the sale includes alcohol.

https://www.mygov.scot/minimum-unit-pricing/discounts-and-offers/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport