Buying new car from dealership

Put a deposit down for a new car from Kia, was told by salesman the road tax is £30 per year but turns out it’s actually £140 per year. We Really like the car but it’s yet another outlay we weren’t expecting (every year) any suggestions on how to proceed with dealer? Or am I just gonna have to lump it!?

Comments

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    I'd go speak to the dealer about it. Tell him your concerns and that the car isn't going to be financially viable. At the very least you're entitled to your deposit back. Or maybe they will offer to sweeten the deal?
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• kiddy_guy
    kiddy_guy Posts: 987
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Go back and get deposit back.

Then do the MSE thing and check the below link to make sure you're getting the best price. Drive the deal is worth checking.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=161891
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,993
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    seems unlikely a car salesman would 'forget' the new tax bands came into force last year (presuming this is a brand new car) as AFAIK, there isn't a £30 tax band for new cars now.

I don't think it's something you'll be able to do much about though as it's not something they have control over, and I suppose there is some onus on you to double check.
    Perhaps a free service/tank of fuel/ car mats etc to off set some of the costs? The purchase price will include the first years tax, but it's not a huge expense when you look at the total cost of buying a new car - the difference is less than £10 per month
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Stars16 wrote: »
    Put a deposit down for a new car from Kia, was told by salesman the road tax is £30 per year but turns out it’s actually £140 per year. We Really like the car but it’s yet another outlay we weren’t expecting (every year) any suggestions on how to proceed with dealer? Or am I just gonna have to lump it!?

Is it a brand new unregistered car or a pre-reg?
  • Its 2 years old
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Its 2 years old
    So it's not a new car!

What model of Kia is it?
  • No I meant as in new to us, not brand new.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    And the model is?
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Drip
    Drip
    Drip
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Its 2 years old

Ok, is it definitely not £30 a year road tax? Have you checked that actual car, rather than say looked up a grand new one, which would now be £140 a year?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure