Credit Card Fraud help/advice

Hello everyone

I'm looking for some advice please. I recently discovered that my credit cards has been used to make fraudulent payments over the last 6 months. Just over 1k has been taken.

Once I found out I immediately contacted the credit card company (creation - Asda money credit card) and had my cards canceled. They have since told me that I can only get 3 months of fraudulent payments refunded and this is In my terms and conditions.

So I was wondering if there is any way I can get the full amount back? They know what payments are fraudulent but are only going to give me 1/3 of it back. Or am I up the creek with no paddle and an expensive lesson on credit card statement scrutiny?

Thanks!

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think you put this one down to experience and monitor your statements more often.

You are saying that there have been several small charges over a period of months - to me that suggests someone close to home has your card details.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2018 at 1:46PM
    Research fraudulent transactions on credit cards and overdrafts under payment services regulations.

Complain.

Refer to FOS if unsuccessful.

Check your statements in future.

Some FOS case studies:
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/116/116-disputed-transactions.html

A few more on "credit tokens" which may assist:
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/46/46_plastic_cards.htm

My understanding is that the Consumer Credit Act protects you and you should get a full refund minus £50.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    If the fraudulent payments were made over a 6 month period, how was the monthly minimum repayment paid? By direct debit? Did you not think it odd that a DD was being paid for when you hadn't used the card?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Great advice, I will look I to it. But yeah I should of been looking at my statements alot more closely
  • @candyapple my credit card is cleared in full at the end of every month and I have been foolish and not fully scrutinised my statements. The fraudulent payments were made, according to the Cc company, on the same day every month, but it wasn't a direct debit, just someone has made the payment on the same date.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 April 2018 at 4:32PM
    Wilsonb86 wrote: »
    @candyapple my credit card is cleared in full at the end of every month and I have been foolish and not fully scrutinised my statements. The fraudulent payments were made, according to the Cc company, on the same day every month, but it wasn't a direct debit, just someone has made the payment on the same date.
    Direct debits cannot be made from credit cards.

It could though have been a continuous payment authority. Was the same amount taken every month? Perhaps someone had set up a subscription service using your card number, or a mobile phone contract with the same payment date every month.

Have you checked your credit reports with the three credit reporting agencies. This may show details of accounts in your name that were taken out fraudulently.

PS: If Asda have confirmed fraud then you should push for full repayment.
  • Yeah it was a continuous payment made on the same date, same amount to the same company. When I queried the Cc company about it, they just said its not a subscription and that it had been entered manually. I haven't thought to check my credit report but I will now.

I'm currently working away just now, but when I home I plan to contact them and dispute it with them. Most likely lodge a complaint and then after that if I need to take it further then I will contact FOS.
  • RG2015
    edited 12 April 2018 at 9:33PM
    Wilsonb86 wrote: »
    Yeah it was a continuous payment made on the same date, same amount to the same company. When I queried the Cc company about it, they just said its not a subscription and that it had been entered manually. I haven't thought to check my credit report but I will now.

I'm currently working away just now, but when I home I plan to contact them and dispute it with them. Most likely lodge a complaint and then after that if I need to take it further then I will contact FOS.
    A continuous payment authority is a specific type of payment like direct debit. It is usually set up to take regular payments from a credit card but can be from a debit card. You can find out more by googling it.

It sounds really odd for a manually entered payment to be charged for the same amount on the same day every month. It really does sound like a subscription or similar payment.

Are you prepared to say who the payment was made to? Users here may recognise who it is.

PS: It is possible that a CPA may appear like a manually entered payment. The cc customer services person may not have been fully aware of this.
  • Yeah it was the Juice plus+ company. Funnily enough they do nutritional and food supplement subscriptions. I think you may be right about it being a CPA. It was a customer services rep I spoke to, and not a member of the fraud/disputes team. The disputes team had called and spoke to my wife (shared account) and then said how they would only be refunding 3 months worth.
  • RG2015
    Maybe others have had some similar experiences either of claiming from cc companies or of Juice + that may help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure