PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style as an escape from the world?

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 March 2018 at 8:50PM
    Ladies of negotiable affection......:rotfl::rotfl:

Can I steal that one please. Brilliant.
    :o I stole it out of Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

The ladies of negotiable affection were members of the Seamstresses Guild in the ancient city of Ankh-Morpork. The Guild was known to have 800+ members. And three needles.:p

Some of you may never have read Discworld novels. In which case, you have missed many a PMSL moment.

caronc - laughter is a healing force. Occasionally creates extra laundry, but healing none the less. If you must, you can autograph the dust but never ever date it, that's just embarrassing.

I'm so near-sighted, if I take my specs off, the rest of the world is a delightful blur. Highly recommended, especially in the bathroom first thing in the morning.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Nonnadiluca
    Nonnadiluca Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 March 2018 at 9:07PM
    One of the advantages of getting on a bit is that the eyesight deteriorates at pretty much the same rate as the wrinkles and sagginess advance: you can't see how old you look, and nor for that matter can your ageing OH! The other main advantage is that you don't give a flying **** what anyone thinks anyway, or is that just me?
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    One of the advantages of getting on a bit is that the eyesight deteriorates at pretty much the same rate as the wrinkles and sagginess advance: you can't see how old you look, and nor for that matter can your ageing OH! The other main advantage is that you don't give a flying **** what anyone thinks anyway, or is that just me?
    :D Nah, I think it's the universal condition. I'm early fifties and caring less and less what people think of me with every passing day. Such fun!

One of my all time fave film clips:https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fried+green+tomatoes+parking+lot+scene&t=hh&atb=v75-2&ia=videos&iai=kXZs3mjGlQU&iax=videos
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • 14. No household should have more than one mug, glass, plate, bowl or set of eating irons per permanant resident in circulation at any one time. Keep spares or guest items under lock and key. If your spouses or sprogs cannot eat because they've left their crocks under their beds growing penicillin, that's their problem not yours. I know a woman who did this and it worked really well.

I am so doing this:D. And storing tins upside down :cool:.
    Thank you GQ and Pigpen.
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    JackieO wrote: »
    VfM4 my youngest DD always said she was not born attached to an iron and has seen no reason to use one.Luckily her OH is very useful in that department as he is slightly OCD.Her uses lie elsewhere ;) she has had five children after all;)
    :rotfl::rotfl:

if it needs ironing i don't buy it... simple.
    if it doesn't de-crease in the steam from my leisurely soak in the tub it goes to the charity shop. as my mother said 'no one ever died wishing they'd ironed more'
  • Everytime there is an advert or feature on a new, shiny, simply Must Have item, think 'Why?'.

Is it 'solving' a problem that didn't exist in the first place? (Storage Solutions come to mind here).

Does it rely upon electricity, reliable wifi connection, a PhD in Applied Systems Engineering and clearance from GCHQ to operate the damned thing?

Is it purely coincidentally providing a very handy list of your preferences, political opinions, shopping habits, thoughts, feelings and deepest fears to a company who can then flog it to the latest incarnation of the Nazi party either for the purposes of making them seem Not Quite So Bad Really to you or for adding you to The List of Threats when it was sold on the basis of allegedly saving you from the effort of checking the fridge for how many eggs you have left?

If there's a power cut, will you be rendered helpless/foodless/heatless/cast into darkness without it?

Can you really be bothered to set it up/clean it/replace parts in it/track down extra special tools to be able to use it?

If it goes wrong, will you be able to do anything - or will you have to endure the Customer Helpline hold queue, then take roughly four and a half years' holiday waiting in for an engineer to not turn up?

Will you wear it once and then avoid it because 45 mins with the tip of an iron trying to get the creases out is more ironing than you ever want to do in the rest of your life?

Will it probably give you blisters/hurt your feet?

If your house was on fire, would you run back in for it, pick it up if it was by the front door, leave it and replace it immediately or probably not bother once it was gone?

In short, is it worth the potential hassle? Are you gaining out of it - or is somebody else?

In short, can you be A***** with it?

Examples:

Charity Shop Balance Scales. Missing the 1oz and under weights. A 2p coin weighs a quarter of an ounce. Continually usable in all circumstances for the total cost of £6.08. Compare to a digital scale. £4.99. Plus a bus trip (£3) to buy LR11 batteries (up to £5 in a supermarket if you find them first time) every time you need to use it because they've died whilst it's been sitting in the cupboard. Technically cheaper to chuck the thing away each time a battery runs out. And old fashioned scales look good on the countertop.

Cafetiere. £8 (I think, might have been £6). Add coffee, add hot water, leave until the consistency of tarmacadam (if my colleague is anything to go by). Compare to fancy automatic machine which requires electricity, half the workspace, super expensive little pods that are environmentally reprehensible and all you normally do is the equivalent of 1 black coffee, 1 white or you make a cup of Nescafe with the kettle & a mug rather than clean the wretched contraption.

Fancy table. Needs polishing, you're terrified of scratching it, a minor spill is a potential disaster as you leap into action to save it. Compare - Cheap lump of wood table with an oilcloth on top. Nobody can see it's Swedish flatpack or Freecycled, nothing gets through the cloth to stain it and if you have a cat that prefers the legs to any scratching post, you either shrug your shoulders because it was cheap/free or you eventually get some sandpaper out and give him a new smooth surface to have another go at five minutes after you finish. Similar logic applies to white/beige carpets - really? You have the time, inclination and money to be dealing with the stress that involves? What's wrong with either fitted carpet in a darker shade or floorboards/lino and some rugs?

Do you need a brand new sofa to match the living room? Or will chucking a throw over the bits most scratched by the cat look cosier and be a better colour match than something in Dodgy Flaming Sofa's 19th sale of the week?

In terms of gardening, do you want to be constantly planting, watering, weeding & pruning things, or would toshing out some seeds and if they grow, they grow, give you at least some feel of doing some gardening? You can argue that you're going for a wildlife friendly garden - and that instantly saves you the cost of various evil pesticides, weedkillers, fertilisers, moss killers, slug pellets, herbicides and other nonsense. You get wildlife as a bonus, too.

Do you actually like cooking? Do you like baking? Or are you just tempted by a warm kitchen on a rainy Saturday with the radio on but detest trying to think of what to buy for dinner again?

Despite all my suspicions, I am a great covert to the principle of internet shopping rather than supermarkets. It means I don't have to set foot in one of the things unless I actively choose to - and a little photo on a screen is a lot less appealing than an entire shop devoted to separating me from as much of my hard earned dosh as possible. Once I've got the bog rolls, tins of beans and cat food sorted, I can choose to get the meat/fish/veg from the nice little shop where I'm guaranteed to not end up muttering 'There's NOTHING there! There is NO unexpected item!' or 'I'd rather wait and keep more people in jobs, thanks'.

Your time, money and energy are equally precious. Why should you waste them unnecessarily? Prioritise what you can be bothered with - and if that means chucking out 50% of everything in the house without checking it, you'll live. And you'll have more of each of them to devote to what is important to you after that initial saving - such as repairing something, making something, enjoying it properly.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I am in my seventies and quite impervious to what folk think. Being old is a great get-out for all sorts of things

A 'posh' do where I would be expected to dress up in clothes that probably don't fit me anymore, and shoes that are uncomfortable to wear instead of my ancient comfy Sketchers, and talk to folk I wouldn't pee on if on fire. Their conversation normally revolves around how much they have/earn and where on earth they are going to burn air miles to see.

Whilst they bang on about saving the planet that they don't really 'see' around them.

If you say 'Oh I would love to come (lying through your teeth and crossing your fingers behind your back) but I have such a bad back ,leg,bladder :) (anything that may slow you down even more ) as you totter away from their "Oh you must come to so and so" usually a wedding or function that will bore the keks of you any way :):):)

I do a fine line in 'doddery old dear' as my DD calls it when I need to get out of something :):):) .

I dislike supermarkets and shopping, as many posts on here show, and have now slimmed down my food shopping to twice a month at most, and then only if I am out of (as a rule, fresh fruit and veg ) the other odds and ends needed can often be replaced by things I already have.

My sofa is over 40 years old and I wouldn't dream of replacing it, it did had a new set of castors put on by the chap who decorated my sitting room about 5 years ago and the cost of £5.00 a set from the local Wilkos, and a couple of throws that my friend stitched together for me on her sewing machine.

It will definitely see me out Its had both of my DDs sit ,play,lie on when feeling poorly and most of their friends over the years for emergency sleeps.

My son-in-laws, when they have stayed over before marrying my DDS (I may have grown up in the fifties and sixties, but I was never that liberal ,my late OH wouldn't have sanctioned the lads sleeping anywhere else :):))

It holds lots of memories good, and not so good. My late OH slept on it the last night before he went into hospital in 2003 for the last time. Binning my perfectly good sofa would be like binning an old friend.

I am comfortable with my 'stuff' that I have around me and have got rid of stuff I no longer need or want .

Last year I had a cull of a big box of photos.Giving the ones to my DDs that they had wanted, and getting shot of the ones of people I had forgotten I even knew. Many of them long dead and gone now sadly.

Thank the Lord for CS as a lot of unecessary clutter has gone to clutter someone elses home up.

I still use pots and pans I had given as wedding presents in 1962 :) I did invest in a whizzy wonderful new frying pan a little while ago and its fantastic, my youngest DD has put her dibs on it when I shuffle off. I also splashed the cash on a new pressure cooker which will get well used (it was left over Chrismas cash anyway so its my treat to myself )

I have few vices (sadly quite virtuous in fact :)apart from an insatiable longing for some ginger nuts (Lent will soon be over :)) and perhaps my books which I really enjoy

Being old is actually quite fun as younger people look at you and talk to you as though you are five :) and say in slightly louder voices 'Can I get you a cuppa/cushion/footstool etc and are normally kindly in that somewhat patronising way.

I just look at them and remember that I too was young and just as daft, and one day it will be their turn to be spoken to as though they were simple.:)

When you are young you cannot complain about hardly anything, but when you are old its great fun being a complainer.

I am a great grumpy old woman, but underneath I am still a happy old dear who finds life a ball :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

My youngest DGS Mikey (13) can see right through me though, and we giggle about how folk talk to me at times .

He gave me my greatest compliment a couple of weeks ago he said

"Granny when I am as old as you I hope I can get away with as much, I have learned from an expert "

Bless him we are two of a kind :):):)

JackieO xxx
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    The last two posts should be printed, illuminated, framed, on my kitchen wall and read daily.

Thanks Jojo and JackieO.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • JackieO thank you for bringing a smile to my face this morning! I'm younger than you but definitely the older I get, the less I care about what people think.

Re saucepans, I bought my Prestige stainless steel saucepans from a friend, they'd been a wedding present but she got a dishwasher and couldn't put them in it as they have wooden handles. They clean up easily even if burned so I don't use the dishwasher. I must have had them 25 years, use them daily and they are still in fabulous condition - reckon they'll see me out!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    monnagran wrote: »
    The last two posts should be printed, illuminated, framed, on my kitchen wall and read daily.

Thanks Jojo and JackieO.

Hear, hear. Brilliant posts. Perfect start to my day, reading them whilst I drank my coffee - made from my cheap as chips cafetière as per Jojos recommendation. Really made me chuckle.

I think home should be our refuge from the strains and stresses from the outside world. Should it be old style - if you like. But I think we need to remember that being “old style”is not a competition. We do not have to do everything ourselves or be the perfect “old styler”.

I cheat and take plenty of short cuts. As Shirley Conron said....Life is Too Short to Stuff a Mushroom.

For example I love food but I keep my cooking simple and easy. If I want fancy then I eat in a restaurant and let the chef do all the work. Last night I went out for wine and tapas.......delicious, no cooking and no washing up........:rotfl:

I like cake but only on high days and holidays for health reasons. YesI could try and make healthy cakes but frankly I just cannot be bothered. TBH I cannot bake for toffee and do not enjoy it so if I want a cake I buy one or eat it in a cafe. A delicious professionally baked cake once in a blue moon will not kill me and it will not break the bank.

Travel.....at the moment I do still enjoy travelling and I am working through my bucket list of must see destinations, I have just come back from the Amazon. Loved it. I hate flying so indulge in slow travel, trains or ships. No problem I am retired so I am in no hurry. A leisurely 6 week journey meant I got to escape some of the winter. One day I will probably not want to travel but for now it is something I enjoy but only on my terms, I avoid planes and airports like the plague.....:rotfl:

I venture out into the outside world when it suits me. I spend my time with people I like and care about, doing things I want to do. Oh the joy of the word No. Like Jackie O I only accept invitations for things that appeal to me. A night at the cinema or theatre, dinner with friends or family yes please......standing room only at some pub that is heaving with people, no thanks. I prefer to stay at home and watch a film or curl up with a book.

We have all heard the Danish word hygge - it is just another word for cosy. Well that is what I aim for, to me that is what home is all about. A place where I can chillax as my kids would say. A place where visitors can kick off their shoes, put their feet up, get comfortable, where we can feast on good food, knock back a few glasses of something and just have a nice chat and a few laughs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure