Eager Elephant's Effective Everyday Excursion ...

Comments

• Hey EE,

This may be of use (or not)....
    Are you or hubby mechanically minded? I had the heater fan go in my car, and the garage quoted me £215 for a replacement, after investigating how easy it is to change (wonderful thing 'tube of u'), and using a website called 1st change, I have a used replacement for £30 (and that's my job for today).

Regards
    DM
    I feel like a Pelican - everywhere I look there's a bill staring at me!LBM: March 2014 Current CC debt: £1026.32/£3666.53 (27.99% repaid) Current Challenges:Tilly Tidy: £927.03/£2500 (37.08%) 3 to 6 month emergency fund #75: £922.97/£6000 (15.38%)
  • Divingmad wrote: »
    Hey EE,

This may be of use (or not)....
    Are you or hubby mechanically minded? I had the heater fan go in my car, and the garage quoted me £215 for a replacement, after investigating how easy it is to change (wonderful thing 'tube of u'), and using a website called 1st change, I have a used replacement for £30 (and that's my job for today).

Regards
    DM

Thanks divingmad

It's always useful to post ideas here.

I definitely am not mechanically minded, DH thinks he is but isn't really:rotfl:
    He did mention him fitting it but too be honest I don't trust him. A few years ago I had a Mercedes and it needed a light replacing (the problem with this car was you had to remove half the engine to get to the lights), DH thought he could do it and a light that should have cost about £10 ended up costing £200+ (Can't remember exact amount but it was huge compared to the original issue especially as garage would have fitted the light for free:eek:)

I will let DH do basic things but lights I keep him away from unless he does it to his own truck:rotfl:
  • Hi EE,

Not a problem, I managed to fit my fan unit, but then the car starts running like a complete dog...suspect a spark plug has gone, so get new plugs and now have to dismantle half the engine to get to them! :mad::mad::mad:
    Either that, or find a half decent mechanic to do it for me...blooming cars!
    I feel like a Pelican - everywhere I look there's a bill staring at me!LBM: March 2014 Current CC debt: £1026.32/£3666.53 (27.99% repaid) Current Challenges:Tilly Tidy: £927.03/£2500 (37.08%) 3 to 6 month emergency fund #75: £922.97/£6000 (15.38%)
  • Hi EE,

I have read the whole of your diary while off ill for the past two days and I have to say that you are truly inspirational! :T Half the things you have coped with would have driven me round the bend! I have subscribed to your diary.

Hope all's well in the Elephant household.
    Current mortgage as at start of diary 14.08.15 - £245,990.00
    Mortgage balance as at 04.01.20 - £123905.51
  • From One elephant to another! .............. sorry to hear about the car, hope the rest of your week goes well :) Stripes x
    Barclaycard CC TBC
    Santander CC TBC
    JD Williams TBC
    Evans CC TBC
  • Divingmad wrote: »
    Hi EE,

Not a problem, I managed to fit my fan unit, but then the car starts running like a complete dog...suspect a spark plug has gone, so get new plugs and now have to dismantle half the engine to get to them! :mad::mad::mad:
    Either that, or find a half decent mechanic to do it for me...blooming cars!

Oh no divingmad - hope you have fixed your car by now.

I hate cars with a passion - I hate that we rely on them for everything. I would love to be able to walk everywhere but as we live in the middle of nowhere that won't work:rotfl:

I am lucky that I have a very good garage which I use.

They have rung today to say the light will cost £58 plus fitting - hopefully it won't take long so will be cheap!! That will teach me to drive more carefully in the dark!!
  • Hi EE,

I have read the whole of your diary while off ill for the past two days and I have to say that you are truly inspirational! :T Half the things you have coped with would have driven me round the bend! I have subscribed to your diary.

Hope all's well in the Elephant household.

Wowsers:eek:

Hope you weren't too bored reading my diary!!

Thank you for saying I am inspirational - I don't feel it, there are many other people on the diaries who are much more inspirational.

I do think sometimes that it's a miracle I haven't had a nervous breakdown before now. I seem to be a naturally positive person and see the good in everything - I think this is what has kept me sane over the last few years.

We are all good in the Elephant household.

Will go and have a peek to see if you have a diary.
  • From One elephant to another! .............. sorry to hear about the car, hope the rest of your week goes well :) Stripes x

Hi stripes

I love your avatar - I might need to find a different one now:rotfl:

The week is not going to bad so far - DS has had 4 fillings today:eek:. That will teach him not to brush his teeth properly and not to keep buying sweets which he hides in his room!!

Have found your diary and subscribed.
  • As you all know I paid off my Spanish bank credit card a few weeks ago and yesterday in the post I got a balance transfer offer:T

The offer is 0% until November 2015 so very worthwhile considering my other credit card is charging 27.95% on £1200 and 6.95% on £1100.

I have just done a balance transfer of £1000 which leaves me £192 at the higher amount. In an ideal world I would clear that this month but I really need to reduce my overdraft as that is £1 per day and my overdraft is only £300 so I make that a huge APR (if I am in my overdraft all month which I am not, usually about 20 days).
  • Hi EE,
    Car is now fixed, garage managed to diagnose the problem so fixed it. And then I realised the MOT was due, so that happened as well...needless to say I am a bit lighter in the wallet now....:o
    Hope all is good you you
    DM
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure