Amex business charge card late payment

Hi

I have an Amex Gold business charge card, what happens if I can not make the payment on time? I will have the money in 1-2 months.

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The Terms and Conditions refer to a £12 late payment fee, but why not ask American Express?
    https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/need-help/contact-us.html?inav=gb_utility_contact
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    I expect your account will be suspended if you fall behind with payments.
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Being a charge card it is expected to be cleared in full, each month.

Being two months late will cost you in late charges, possible a suspension or cancellation of the account and you will have late/missed payment marks on your credit file making it harder to obtain credit in the future.

This can also spook any other creditors you may have causing adverse action from them.

If there is no way you can make the payment I would suggest speaking with them to see if you can come to some arrangement.

However, if you don't pay as per your terms of your account, I would have thought the missed payment markers will still apply.

Good luck.
  • Chippi
    Chippi Posts: 12 Forumite
    Call amex and ask for a deferral. If you have a long history with amex, and a convincing reason for why you can pay the statement in 1-2months, they can easily defer the due date as a one-off.

I'm appalled at the above replies. OP's not late with payments yet. Read again and stop scaremongering.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Chippi wrote: »

I'm appalled at the above replies. OP's not late with payments yet. Read again and stop scaremongering.

The OP has clearly stated an intention to pay late.

Posters have merely clarified the consequences.

That's hardly appalling.
  • Chippi
    Chippi Posts: 12 Forumite
    The OP has clearly stated an intention to pay late.

Posters have merely clarified the consequences.

That's hardly appalling.

OP said "if", not "when". "If" is not a clear intention.

Posters jump to consequences because they have no experience outside of paying their full monthly balance, so they just quote textbook statement scripture, as if OP doesn't have his own statement at hand. Let's show a bit of intelligence guys.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    OP said "if", not "when". "If" is not a clear intention.
    "I will have the money in 1-2 months".
    Posters jump to consequences because they have no experience outside of paying their full monthly balance, so they just quote textbook statement scripture, as if OP doesn't have his own statement at hand. Let's show a bit of intelligence guys.
    It's a charge card where full balance is a requirement.

Your use of the word "appalling" is ridiculous.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm appalled at the above replies. OP's not late with payments yet.

The OP asked what would happen if he is late paying and people told him. I fail to see what's appaling about that.
  • okigen
    okigen Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I was once late by 2 days and they suspended my account.

It was a corporate card though, so thankfully my personal credit history was unharmed.
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Charge cards are a completely different kettle of fish due to their very nature of not being a revolving finance product that can have more flexibility.

Yes the OP did ask what would happen but then stated they will have the money in 1-2 months.

The other posters including myself, have answered the OP with the information being sought.

There was nothing "appalling" about the replies or any "scaremongering", just the facts and seriousness of such an action along with guidance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure