Keep going, you'll get there

Options
So its been nearly FIVE YEARS since I logged in here - seriously, apparently it was May 2013 - so as I have a little spare time I thought I'd log in and send you Wannabe's a little love.

I know it seems a long slog, like it'll take forever, that it's hard, it hurts, it damn well SUCKS! But keep going, stay strong, you will get there. I know you will. I know because I did, and you can too.

I was over 40k in debt with nothing to show for it except an end to a disastrous relationship and a car on its last legs when I started my journey. Zip forwards a few years (well more than a few!) and I'm now happily living in New Zealand with my beautiful wife and our amazing son. We bought our first house last year in one of the toughest housing markets in the world, we're financially secure, we even have an investment portfolio - something I never thought I'd be able to achieve - and are providing for our future whilst living a great life.

I'm not trying to boast, I just want you to know that I've been where you are, I've seen cupboards bare and bills unpaid, I've dreaded that knock at the door and the Unknown Number calling. But hopefully with this post I can give you a little boost along your journey and tell you to keep going, you'll get there. Keep using this website and the wonderful community of folk who populate it. Ingrain those saving and cutting spending habits, find happiness and pleasure in spending time with those you love rather than buying things. Set goals, little ones, big ones, easy ones, hard ones, short term ones, long term ones, and as you tick them off one by one you're taking more and more steps on your own journey.

Good luck to you all, hopefully it won't be another 5 years between my posts!
NEXT GOAL: Halve mortgage by 2025

Total Debt @ LBM 40k. All paid off!!

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A heartwarming story. Congratulations on becoming debt free and rebuilding your life. I wish you every happiness for the future :)
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Congratulations, you should be proud
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • MalcRH12
    Options
    Huge congratulations and thanks for sharing your story
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors