We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Which greenhouse?

MrsCrafty
MrsCrafty Posts: 2,114 Forumite
I currently have a poly carbonate green one which is on its last legs. Panels missing and broke.

I want to replace but keep getting varying reviews. I know that sealant should be applied to panes when erecting but really want to know which one? TIA

Comments

• tired_dad
    tired_dad Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    V happy with a rhino. Expensive mind
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    tired_dad wrote: »
    V happy with a rhino. Expensive mind
    Don't you get fed up with those blokes sitting on top of it?

The best greenhouse is the one that comes free or at very low cost, secondhand. One still erected, that's stood for a time without breaking or showing much sign of deterioration, will be fine.

Of course, if the OP wants this structure erected for them, it's a diferent ball game altogether.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 February 2019 at 10:10PM
    We bought a Hall's (the one with the curved ridges) about 12 years ago and we're still very pleased with it. We went for the toughened glass - more expensive, but have had only one breakage (Mr S didn't check for loose stones before mowing the lawn...)
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    Don't you get fed up with those blokes sitting on top of it?

The best greenhouse is the one that comes free or at very low cost, secondhand. One still erected, that's stood for a time without breaking or showing much sign of deterioration, will be fine.

Of course, if the OP wants this structure erected for them, it's a diferent ball game altogether.

I don't disagree with any of this but at the end of the day you do get what you pay for. Its just a case of setting a budget and buying the right size. We had such an amazing 1st season from our greenhouse. Its massive compared to the previous one. Grew loads. Amazing ventilation system, integral raised bed etc etc. It's made my enjoyment of the garden increase substantially. I'm not sure any second hand purchase or free greenhouse would come close to what we have and would have taken a while to find the right one. Each to their own
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    tired_dad wrote: »
    I don't disagree with any of this but at the end of the day you do get what you pay for.
    I think you get what you are prepared to work for, but not everyone is practically inclined, so if the work is a mess it will represent poor value.

My first secondhand greenhouse wasa 8'x6' lean-to which suited the tiny garden we had then.

The second was a 25'x10' cedar Dutch light greenhouse in good condition purchased for £150. That fitted well on our 1/4 acre and was a real pleasure to own during its 20 year residence. Making an accurate base for something like that might test some people severely, but the only special tool I bought was a Belle cement mixer, which is now 32 years old and still knocking up concrete. It made all the foundations for the 30m2 conservatory in our current property. I employed someone else do the brickwork. Everyone has limits.

However, the first thing I put up here was a 95m2 polytunnel. I did buy that brand new as a kit with instructions, and I wouldn't recommend building one of that size secondhand from bits without some prior experience. It looked easy, but it was probably the most difficult structure I've done. I cheated by getting someone with a digger and a laser level to help me set it all out.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I used to grow veg in a farmers polytunnel, it was fab, never had so much stuff shoot so well. I counted one year I had 250 tomato plants, there was a lot of passatta that year....
    Gardens not nearly big enough for one of those, but mya be able to squeeze a 20ft one in there osmehwere when the gargae is demolished..
    I really miss that polytunnel, it was so versatile.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • I bought an Elite British made aluminium greenhouse. Really solid little greenhouse. Cam flat packed within 2 and a bit weeks. My Brother and I built it inside 5 hours. Bought it from Greenhouse Stores on the internet.
    You'll find me in the garden. In the shed. In my greenhouses. Or maybe the local hostelry!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure