Doing up the House (and me) while doing away with the Debt

Comments

• I've been thinking a lot about my impending debt-freeness. A small part of me is worried what will happen when I no longer have that target. So I've been doing quite a lot of MSE forum surfing and its pretty clear that there will always be someone to provide me with motivation and ideas. I've decided to try to be 'older and fitter', am going to lurk amongst the 'fly ladies' (as I do find housework boring, but also like a clean tidy home) and finally I am going to aim to be a millionaire :eek:. Nothing like aiming high and it should keep be busy for a while. :D
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • Well, maybe not a millionaire, but its a good to have a target that will hopefully keep me focussed.

On the fitness side, I've given the bike a few runs as well. And although fly-ladying has taken a slight back seat there have been updates in the Supersavers household. All good, if ever so slightly sad, as the next stage of children's lives and our lives approach. But exciting to see what the next years bring - having less debt certainly does give you options - and having those options brings a sense of calm.

Looking back, the slow journey to debt-freeness seems to have somehow passed in an instant (apart from these last few weeks which make me feel like I am stuck in time). Looking forward, it feels like there is not enough time and if I think too much I get a slight feeling of panic.

One thing I have learned for sure on my MSE journey is that time will pass whether you are happy or sad, worried or not worried, so I am going to do my best in trying not to worry about things and concentrate on doing things that bring me joy - exercising, sewing, learning, reading, bubble baths, face masks, cooking, baking, catching up on box sets and films and just chilling with the cat! Feels like a very big circle is about to be completed :):D:rotfl:
  • Why not a millionaire?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Why not indeed! :beer:
    Why not a millionaire?

I've definitely been feeling a bit maudlin lately. But I feel I've turned a bit of a corner. Ideas are popping out about making the most of our future money and its giving me a sense of purpose. I've realised that the important thing is to make the most of it for what we want in our lives, not just do what we think will make the most money. Money isn't everything is it, but being in debt for stuff that we no longer had or really remember isn't great.

I've got a renewed sense of purpose now. It is exciting times ahead, or contented times ahead - or maybe even both! :T
  • Had a small win this week. Looked at my Sainsbury's Saver and I had about £8 interest. Not bad as I didn't even remember there was 0.95% interest and I'd had hardly any money in it this year.

I've also been looking at savings accounts - seems that 1.5% is the best easy access at the moment, and up to 5% for a regular saver. I'm looking forward to getting started with saving.

Also worked out that it will be a good idea to put some money into OHs pension as there is a good tax incentive. Firstly need to make sure he has the right pension pot to put it in, and get some advice on the tax front.

We rent our current home and are thinking of buying, but love it where we are and can't see us living anywhere else at the moment. We've talked about talking to the landlord about maybe buying it, but when retirement comes I think we would want somewhere slightly smaller (and cheaper to run). We will do the maths on it, but in reserve is an idea to buy a buytolet that we could move into if necessary.

So, savings, pension and property will be my focus after debt-free day. Then in between times I need to get the PPI claims started again and I have one or two items to sell, things to make, paint, reupholster and clean. As well as getting fitter!
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think the last few months of having debt are harder than the realisation at the beginning. It's the place where I went wrong and slipped back into debt again. I could have been debt free three years ago and feel so disappointed I took my eye off the ball when I was frustrated with the last part of the journey.

I agree, why not a millionaire. What a challenge eh and if you didn't reach it you would still be better off than not trying.;)

Anyway do you have anymore house inspiration. I'm stuck at the moment. I like stealing everyone else's ideas. :D

Keep going supersaver.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Have just read the full thread and found it really inspiring! Have loved to hear how your home improvements have gone (particularly inspired by the curtains!)
  • Hello Parsniphead, thank you for the encouragement, it really is appreciated.

I keep having moments of inspiration and then go flat again. I guess I've been through so many emotions over the past few past years, that it takes time to process the new situation.

DH has agreed that he will give me a monthly update on his business finances (he worries me with his lack of comms about finances otherwise). I'm going to book us a monthly hour to go over his finances and plan our investments.

He's a bit of a negative norman, which really annoys me. I'm trying to get him to understand that we should put some money into his pension via his business, but he's not on board with it at all because he doesn't understand it. I'm probably going to have to get some professional advice but not sure where to go for that at the moment because 1. I'm not sure if DH's current pension is good enough 2. I'm not sure how much can we/should we put in to maximise benefits 3. I'd like us to think about a buy to let - something we can retire to when we stop working 4. We need to think about how much to save as a safety net because a) DH is self-employed and b) we need to plan for the worst. and finally 5. I need to think about what happens if push comes to shove and we split - as we would need to split his pension pot. (Not saying that we'd split but its good to be prepared for all eventualities).

Unfortunately, DH is really embarrassed about the state of our finances - he's always like to splash the cash like a big man about town - but although he's not like that anymore he doesn't like to uncover the true extent of it to people - even to the right people who can help us. Its really frustrating because I know that its this smoke screen about spending that got us into trouble three times, and that it could now prevent us making the most of our money. Its so frustrating as he is a clever chap with great skills, just a bit lazy and likes his drink over making money. To me it feels like he hasn't truly accepted how bad things were before (partly because I have always dealt with the mess of debts) and until he does that we can't truly move forward.

So, I'm not sure if we need to speak to his accountant, a pension adviser, a mortgage adviser, an independent financial adviser - all four or someone else e.g. a marriage counsellor. And DH is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. Meanwhile the clock is ticking ....

I think we need to talk to each other first so I am going to book us our first 1 hour meeting and take it from there. I'm good at meetings and agendas and minutes so maybe that would be a good start.

Sorry, this has turned into a bit of a rant about my old man, but its actually helped me see what to do about that. Maybe once I have the sorted my inspiration may come back though :):):)

ps thanks for dropping in coffeeandbiscuits, I will get back to soft furnishings soon - I've been watching the sewing bee and that always gives me inspiration to get the machine out.
  • So, the end of the month is here and the final pay day which will be used for paying off debts!

My final cc doesn't need paying until mid-april, so to start my new debt-free lift off properly I am going to keep the payment (£1250 less the minimum payment) in the 1% savings accounts 'til needed. It won't be much interest I know but I am now going to be that supersaver I set out to be several years ago.

Have spoken with DH again about making the most of our savings and he is actually listening. He has been working lots and we are both tired, so its difficult to find sensible conversation times, plus I think I have just given in too easily before - I'm very determined now that its my way or the high way :rotfl::rotfl: (laughing because I really am too much of a softy, but I'm determined to come over that way). For the first time in our lives we could be in control of making a comfortable and secure future for ourselves - it might not be lavish and full of holidays and flash cars, but we are both pretty content with our lives now so its all good.

My ideal life is a steady income, a financial cushion, a decent sewing machine, keeping fit and being active (and of course my family and the cat being well and contented too). I'm on my way to all of those, so I'm feeling lots more positive. I've been having a lurk around the other threads and feel very inspired by the people on here. Still can't believe I am finally almost debt-free and that is thanks to those people. I read threads where people are in a similar position to where I was. I remember what it was like and I just want to say keep going, you will get there too. :T:heart::wave:
  • Exciting times ahead supersaver. Roll on the last payment.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback