Want to try and get debt free but don’t know where to start

Options
Hello,

I have recently spilt up with my husband and have been left with what feels like horrendous debts, totalling about £13k on 3 separate account. All have defaulted as I did not have the money to pay them and he isn’t for giving me any of the money that he spent on them. Typically everything was in my name so he doesn’t care. The biggest is a Barclaycard which has £7k, there is a next store card for £4K and an mbna card at £2.5k. The last year I have worked hard at getting myself back on track with getting somewhere to live for myself and my two children and I want to try and pay these debts off as it is affecting my mental health constantly worrying about them. Is the best way to just contact these debt agency’s and agree a payment plan? It feels like I will be forever paying them off when a lot of the balance occurred from interest when I didn’t have the money to pay. On hindsight I wish I had of contacted them sooner but I was in a bad place after the split and buried my head in the sand. Looking for some help and guidance please.

Comments

• a_silver_lining
    Options
    Didn't want to read and run.

Others will be able to advise you around interest rates and options, but I just wanted to say well done on posting here. It's a great first step, and I'm sure you will be given some great advice :)
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    … Is the best way to just contact these debt agency’s and agree a payment plan?...
    Hi,

Contact StepChange, PayPlan or the CAB for free debt management advice. You can write to your creditors, asking them to freeze your account whilst you are seeking advice. :)

Another good way to start is to complete an SOA (Statement of Affairs), and post it up here for advice, guidance and support.
    http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family