Laptop repair question?

My HP laptop needed repair to the amd chip which makes it possible to see the screen as heat had made it come away from its seating .
I took it to a repair shop who repaired it with a months warranty.

Problem occurred again within 2 days, took back and repaired again but unfortunately failed within a couple of hours ?

So returned and this is last chance saloon for it the bloke said , if it fails again would I be entitled to a refund? Or partial refund I’m not sure? Many thanks for your replies on this subject.

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    It's not really a technical question....perhaps look for the appropriate forum to get the best advice.
  • EveryWhere wrote: »
    It's not really a technical question....perhaps look for the appropriate forum to get the best advice.
    Cheers your right ! If possible could mods move to relevant forum please have tried but unable regards .
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sounds like repairman is not doing reflow properly, its needs the chip removing, solder cleaning off and all solder joints reballed to make good new solder joints.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    tonyh66 wrote: »
    sounds like repairman is not doing reflow properly

Or the AMD chip is goosed. If it has got so hot it has desoldered itself its most likely toast as silicone doesn't like above 85C and the melting point of solder is 183C so it has spent a long time running at a temperature way hotter than it is designed to survive.

How much was this repair job, £30 or so for a basic re-flow/re-ball or £100+ for a proper repair involving fault finding and soak testing?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    A lot of HP models were affected by this, what's your model number please?

For the older machines affected by this there was no long term fix, it would just need re-balling every once in a while.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    The heat that caused the silicone and solder to melt, was due to the laptop overheating, possibly due to dust in the fan vents. Did this "Technician" actually clean out your laptop for dust? Do you use it on your lap, or on a soft surface in a dusty environment? My wife has always used hers on a laptop stand, which allows air to pass under the laptop.

Having said that, Neil Jones may have the answer about certain HP models being recalled. Please advise of the model number and Serial numbers, which should be visible on the laptop base, along with your licence numbers.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Gosh the implants are melting :eek:, silicone ones of course , however I doubt that the silicon used in implants does not have the same aesthetic properties. OK I'll get my coat:cool:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Thanks for your replies ,when I get the laptop back I’ll post the info you’ve been asking for regards.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    I think the main cause of the fault was the laptop getting hot and the motherboard flexing with the heat, this causes fractures in the solder, I don't think the solder joints were actully melting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure