Travel Vaccinations (Yellow Fever)

Where's a good value place to get a yellow fever vaccination in London? (Or Naples, Italy would be good too, but not really expecting many replies on that).

Thanks

Comments

• There are loads of travel vaccination clinics around London and they will all be a very similar price. (In the region of £60-£70) so just do a search on Google for one in the area you are in.
  • chiny
    chiny Posts: 193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I use Nomad Travel for jabs and found them good value. They also employ very professional nurses, who understand the jabs, the disease risks, the whole works.

Annoyingly, I've had 2 yellow fever jabs in my time - latest WHO advice appears to be that 1 jab is probably OK for ever or 35 years at least. But my last 1998 jab was on a 10 year certificate so its out of date but no-one wants to give me a third jab, especially as I'm a bit antique.

Last time I drove over a country border ostensibly needing a yellow fever certificate, the border guard took a 2 second look and went back to whatever he had been doing. So much for certificates. Still, better a jab than the disease.
  • Chomeur
    Chomeur Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    chiny wrote: »
    I use Nomad Travel for jabs and found them good value. They also employ very professional nurses, who understand the jabs, the disease risks, the whole works.

Annoyingly, I've had 2 yellow fever jabs in my time - latest WHO advice appears to be that 1 jab is probably OK for ever or 35 years at least. But my last 1998 jab was on a 10 year certificate so its out of date but no-one wants to give me a third jab, especially as I'm a bit antique.

Last time I drove over a country border ostensibly needing a yellow fever certificate, the border guard took a 2 second look and went back to whatever he had been doing. So much for certificates. Still, better a jab than the disease.

My last one was 14 years ago, and I'm about to go to Brazil. Maybe I shouldn't bother.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    Chomeur wrote: »
    My last one was 14 years ago, and I'm about to go to Brazil. Maybe I shouldn't bother.

What does your travel insurance say about inoculations?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The NHS advice (link below) is that for most people a single dose provides life long protection. It confirms the average cost is £60 - £80, and provides a link to vaccination centres. You should check whether Brazil requires a certificate.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/yellow-fever/vaccination/
  • Chomeur
    Chomeur Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    The NHS advice (link below) is that for most people a single dose provides life long protection. It confirms the average cost is £60 - £80, and provides a link to vaccination centres. You should check whether Brazil requires a certificate.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/yellow-fever/vaccination/

Thanks I won't get a booster.

Brazil doesn't require a certificate.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks I won't get a booster.

Brazil doesn't require a certificate.

I went to Brazil in 2005 and a certificate was required if you arrived from a country with Yellow Fever. I was crossing from Argentina so got the jab only to find no one at the border so could’ve got away without one.

Brazil did have an outbreak of Yellow Fever within the last year so I’d suggest it worth getting vaccinated anyway.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Ballard wrote: »

Brazil did have an outbreak of Yellow Fever within the last year so I’d suggest it worth getting vaccinated anyway.

The OP has already been vaccinated.

My last one was 14 years ago...
  • chiny
    chiny Posts: 193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    agrinnall wrote: »
    The OP has already been vaccinated.

But 14 years ago, when probably the certificate gave an expiry date of 10 years, so is out-of-date. Unlike the effectiveness of the jab... annoying.

What I did is take my 1998 expired slightly grubby vaccination certificate to Nomad Travel, who are authorised to write a new style, yellow-coloured certificate with nice official stamp, officially a replacement (cost £15). Yes, the vaccination is still out-of-date bureaucratically but the certificate is shiny new and impressive at a border.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    chiny wrote: »

I had my 10-year yellow fever certificate reissued as a lifetime one for £15 not long ago. I was going to the Philippines not long after a trip to Brazil, so needed it (didn't need it to get into Brazil, just to prove I wasn't going to be carrying infection from there to the Philippines).

I do, however, need to get my 3rd rabies jab done - I had two a very long time ago and apparently it's worth getting the final one done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure