HSBC Mortgage

So, I have spoken to my mortgage broker this morning about my application with HSBC. He told me that everything was on course and that the only thing they were waiting on now was the valuation survey on the property we intend to buy. He said he can’t foresee any problems coming from it. He said once the valuation survey is complete they will make the mortgage offer straight away because they have already signed off all documents??

Can anyone enlighten me on what this means, my nerves are on a different level at the moment !!!129327;

Comments

• lhoney
    lhoney Posts: 26 Forumite
    It's just to make sure the amount you're paying for the property is reasonable, that's all.

The only problem would be if you're paying significantly more for it than the current estimated value.
  • monz
    monz Posts: 4,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Stoptober Survivor
    Hey I just got my mortgage with HSBC. Everything is fine and standard. They just need the underwriter to sign it off and they normally have a backlog of it :D Do not worry I was in same boat as you X
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mortgage port- £70,077.82 and mortgage £126,517.39 o/s currently
    Debt - £17,190.83 (29/7/22) now (19/8/22) £16,688.80
  • Ok thanks but what does he mean by saying !!!8220;they will make the mortgage offer straight away as they have already signed off all documents!!!8221;?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It means all the other documents have been signed off, so once the valuation is done (if successful), they will be able to make the mortgage offer.
  • My credit file has been searched numerous times by HSBC so does this now mean they are just waiting on the valuation report? I know I might sound daft but I!!!8217;m new to this....
  • cooltt
    cooltt Posts: 852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Trigger82 wrote: »
    My credit file has been searched numerous times by HSBC so does this now mean they are just waiting on the valuation report? I know I might sound daft but I!!!8217;m new to this....

Yes they can search prior to, during and after the mortgage offer as many times as they see fit, it's in the T&C's which you signed with them when you applied.

However I think you'll find the additional searches are id checks etc rather than a hard search, just don't apply for any credit until your sat in your new home.
  • Trigger82,

Just to re-iterate what the others have correctly replied;

What you have repeated from HSBC suggests they are OK with lending to you and have all the information they need from you, but they are awaiting the all clear from the surveyor.

Additionally to replies below, suggesting HSBC need to check the value, they will also want to hear from the Surveyor that the property you are purchasing meets their lending criteria. Lenders - not just HSBC - have various criteria of what is suitable security. For example, certain types of construction are not allowed, such as certain local authority high rises, constructed with pre-cast concrete. Or, more traditionally, some lenders specify they will not lend on leasehold properties (Flats) where there is insufficient evidence of sales in the block... These are rare, on the whole, so no need to stress until you get your valuation result back.

Also, note, if the valuation is being done by one of the big surveying companies (Countrywide, ESurv, Colleys etc) then HSBC should have the result within 24-48hrs from the inspection.

Regards
  • Thank you all, I really appreciate you taking the time to help inform me. I have heard this morning that the valuation is being done by country wide and is happening on the 23rd.
  • monz
    monz Posts: 4,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Stoptober Survivor
    good luck! Also if it a concrete build they will want you to make more a deposit, this happened to me. I had to make an additional £8,000 deposit x
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mortgage port- £70,077.82 and mortgage £126,517.39 o/s currently
    Debt - £17,190.83 (29/7/22) now (19/8/22) £16,688.80
  • So the survey was completed on the 23/08/2018 in the morning. By 14:00 that afternoon we had the mortgage offer and then the following day the solicitors confirmed they had also had it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure