Cost of Compensation for £200?

I have to return a heavy parcel to Amazon - they'll refund a maximum of £4.75 so obviously want to pay as little as possible for the return, but definitely want cover for £200 loss or damage.

The parcel (microwave) is too heavy for me to take to PO or similar, it has to be a collection service.

I've been on the Parcel2Go website which I usually use for small odds & ends, but it appears that to get the price for the enhanced compensation means I have to fill in all the same details of the parcel on each courier's website to allow me to compare prices.

Any suggestions welcome, and oh, I'm on a deadline as my 30 days for change of mind runs out tomorrow!

Comments

• qsk
    qsk Posts: 423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If it was sold by Amazon itself, try an online chat with them and they might ask you to email them the post receipt and then refund the whole cost. (I did this once but I did post it at a post office).
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    qsk wrote: »
    If it was sold by Amazon itself, try an online chat with them and they might ask you to email them the post receipt and then refund the whole cost. (I did this once but I did post it at a post office).

I'll certainly give that a try once I have a cost. Just hoping that "return by 16th" actually means "commence return process by 16th"!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,035
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    LadyDee wrote: »
    I'll certainly give that a try once I have a cost. Just hoping that "return by 16th" actually means "commence return process by 16th"!

I would check that before you spend money returning it!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • LadyDee
    Forumite
    edited 15 April 2018 at 2:16PM
    soolin wrote: »
    I would check that before you spend money returning it!

Yes, better had I think:(

Just checked with Amazon and they confirm that so long as the label is generated "within the time allowed" they count that date as date of return, even if the courier takes a week to pick it up they will accept it. Result!

Also, they will pay the full return cost (confirmed by email) - even better result!

Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket.
  • LadyDee
    Forumite
    qsk wrote: »

Confirmed they will pay the cost of the return - I wouldn't have even thought of asking - so thank you for the suggestion. You saved me nearly £20 - phew!! Very happy. I don't normally go for jumping smilies but I think that deserves one:j
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,009
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Confirmed they will pay the cost of the return - I wouldn't have even thought of asking - so thank you for the suggestion. You saved me nearly £20 - phew!! Very happy. I don't normally go for jumping smilies but I think that deserves one:j
    If they're paying for it you can ask them to arrange collection. They use Hermes and DPD, you may need someone to be in for it.

In my experience they tell you they're sending Hermes, who don't turn up, then they send DPD and let you know a time they'll be there!
  • LadyDee
    Forumite
    RFW wrote: »
    If they're paying for it you can ask them to arrange collection. They use Hermes and DPD, you may need someone to be in for it.

In my experience they tell you they're sending Hermes, who don't turn up, then they send DPD and let you know a time they'll be there!

I've booked ParcelForce now. Amazon CS sent me a confirming email that they will reimburse cost if I send them the receipt for courier, attached to email reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure