Options

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 April 2018 at 12:06PM
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    However, in this case, the OPs delay was not caused by "meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned"

I'm not arguing it was. The delay was caused by knock-on effects from extraordinary circumstances. The only guideline the regulations provide as far as whether these are extraordinary is whether or not they could have been avoided taking reasonable steps.

The 'reasonable steps' criterion is not an independent and separate test, it is the *only* test, the examples listed in the regulations are simply particularly salient examples of circumstances where no reasonable steps could have been taken.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 April 2018 at 3:29PM
    Options
    Just to add my ha'porth.

After following the incoming flight on Planefinder I can see that the weather was causing problems to quite a few aircraft at that time. Some managed to land and some diverted to an alternate airfield.

The incoming BA aircraft attempted to land but failed, circled for a while and then diverted to Fuerteventura until the weather calmed down, when it popped back over to Arrecrife. However, the crew were then out of available flying hours to legally operate the return flight to LGW.

The delay was weather related, but to the previous flight to the op's, so it was a knock on delay.

That, in it's self, is enough to qualify for 261 delay compensation.

As a backup argument, you then could also look at the 'all reasonable measures' requirement of the regs and look at alternative options to see if BA could have done anything to prevent such a long delay.

In this case there was a later BA flight from LGW to ACE which landed at 17.59. BA could have put a spare flight crew on that flight to bring the stranded passengers back. Perhaps that flight was full tho! In that case 6 or 8 passengers could have been offered a financial incentive to stay in a hotel at LGW and catch a flight the following day. That would have saved BA having to put 180 or so stranded passengers up in a hotel overnight and got everyone home the same day.

There were also other flight from LGW to ACE that evening, but with other airlines, they could also have been alternative options.

So, imo, BA also fails the 'all reasonable measures' requirement, compensation is due to the op.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • jpsartre
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    The delay was weather related, but to the previous flight to the op's, so it was a knock on delay.

That, in it's self, is enough to qualify for 261 delay compensation.

No, it isn't. The idea that knock-on effects are automatically non-extraordinary is a myth that's unfortunately perpetuated in here.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have a case in mind where a knock on effect claim in the small claims court has been rejected.
  • jpsartre
    Options
    Not a small claims court case but SAS recently won a case in the Danish High court over a knock-on delay (http://www.hoejesteret.dk/hoejesteret/nyheder/Afgorelser/Pages/Ikkekompensationforflyforsinkelse.aspx - link in Danish, Google translate should be able to help with that).

That being said, my point wasn't based on a particular court ruling but on what the regulations say. And there is nothing in the regulation which rules out that knock-on effects can be extraordinary. Again, the test for whether or not an event is extraordinary is whether or not the event could have been avoided taking reasonable steps. Depending on how 'reasonable steps' is interpreted, this is certainly compatible with knock-on effects being extraordinary.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In this case I think Tyzap's reasoning is sound and believe compensation is due.
  • jpsartre
    Options
    In what case? I'm not saying compensation isn't due, I'm saying you cannot infer from the fact that the delay is a knock-on delay to the conclusion that it IS due.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    No, it isn't. The idea that knock-on effects are automatically non-extraordinary is a myth that's unfortunately perpetuated in here.

They are not in all circumstances.

I believe that they are in the case of weather, but not in the case of ATC/airport closures etc where the regs say it can affect one or more delays to that aircraft.

My post referred to the ops specific circumstances only.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • jpsartre
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    I believe that they are in the case of weather, but not in the case of ATC/airport closures etc where the regs say it can affect one or more delays to that aircraft.

There is nothing in the regulations which suggests knock-on effects from bad weather cannot be extraordinary.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    There is nothing in the regulations which suggests knock-on effects from bad weather cannot be extraordinary.

Understanding the regulations is all a matter of interpretation, which is why there is such a lack of clarity about their meaning.

I base my understanding of this particular area of the regs upon what a leading firm of solicitors say about it (see below) and on case law.

What Are Extraordinary Circumstances?

The term ‘extraordinary circumstances’ may apply to a number of scenarios where the delay/cancellation was caused by something out of the ordinary; things like:

Acts of terrorism or sabotage
    Security risks
    Extreme weather conditions e.g. volcanic ash cloud
    Political or civil unrest
    Hidden manufacturing defects
    Industrial action (strikes unrelated to the airline such as baggage handlers or air traffic control)

What Are NOT extraordinary circumstances?

If your long delay was caused by one of the following, you may be entitled to compensation according to EU law:

Issues with airline staff e.g. crew turning up late or understaffing
    Bad weather affecting a previous flight, causing your flight to be delayed
    Denied boarding due to the flight being overbooked
    Technical problems with the aircraft (except hidden manufacturing defects or problems caused by sabotage)

I also have seen cases where using the above argument has been won at CEDR and court level, which does not set a precedent, but it does suggest you are on the right track.

Just to diversify slightly.

There are many areas of the 261 regulation where a precedent has not been set and I do not believe that this is an accident. Airlines will often not pursue a case to a higher court level, where a precedent could be set, so that it remains a grey area, thus allowing them wiggle room to avoid legitimate claims.

How happy do you think the airline industry was with Jet2 when they caused a precedent to be set over technical faults?

It was a massive area where the airlines had been avoiding compensation claims for years by claiming technical faults with aircraft were EC's and exempt from compensation.

When the supreme court decided tec faults were not EC's it cost the whole industry many millions of £s in claims and gave them one less avoidance tactic.

So keeping things in this grey area helps the airlines.

The solicitors, who supplied the above information on their website help to put an end to this situation, but lots of areas remain unclear.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback