Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 23rd Jul 19, 4:49 PM
    • 144Posts
    • 46Thanks
    MSE Karl
    MSE Poll: What should be means-tested? Free bus passes, the NHS, student loans?
    • 23rd Jul 19, 4:49 PM
    MSE Poll: What should be means-tested? Free bus passes, the NHS, student loans? 23rd Jul 19 at 4:49 PM
    Poll started 23 July 2019
    Which of the following allowances and entitlements do you think should be means-tested based on your income/wealth Ė in other words the richest donít get it or get less. And which do you think everyone should get regardless?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks!
Page 3
    • clip
    • By clip 28th Jul 19, 9:12 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    clip
    Passport costs ? What do you propose? I'd like to see a concession on passport costs to the unemployed, because employment agencies won't consider someone unless they have a current passport. It's impossible to find a £75 passport fee when your weekly food budget is £15.
    Originally posted by tgroom57
    The job centre should pay the passport fee
    • clip
    • By clip 28th Jul 19, 9:16 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    clip
    Re free bus fare ... I think Everybody should pay £1.00
    I am a pensioner and would not mind paying ,especially to help the smaller bus company’s
    • nicmalauren
    • By nicmalauren 29th Jul 19, 11:23 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    nicmalauren
    Scrap means-testing altogether, charge for everything. Give every person a nominal amount - a basic living benefit, if you will. Let them choose then whether to work to top it up if they feel it's not enough to fund the lifestyle they desire.

Alternatively, make everything free for everyone so that no person is disadvantaged, regardless of background.

The problem with both these ideas? The money has to come from somewhere and somebody somewhere will always end up feeling hard done by. This is essentially why communism doesn't work!
    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 30th Jul 19, 2:20 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    I don't like means testing - as it generally means those sitting just above the threshold finish up worse off.

For example a couple of pensioners on £256, would be worse of than those on £255 claiming 25p of pension credit.

Couple b claiming 25p of pension credit would get free bus pass, free tv licence, discounts, Cold weather payments etc.

I would up the level of benefits and completely do away with means tested benefits!
    • edgex
    • By edgex 30th Jul 19, 4:13 PM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 4,841 Thanks
    edgex
    The problem with the benefits system, & the freebies given to pensioners, is that there's no logic to who gets what.

Take the 'free bus passes' as an example.
    Whats the reason for them? If it's; low income, need to travel (reduce social isolation), good environmentally
    then surely that applies to more people than just those over 65.
    Anyone in education, unemployed, low hours, etc, they all could meet the same reasons.

It will be interesting to see if equalities legislation starts to have an impact on some of the 'freebies', as for many of them the only deciding factor is age.
    • Privatekid
    • By Privatekid 31st Jul 19, 9:11 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Privatekid
    ID card
    An alternate solution is the government introduces a seperate VOLUNTARY ID card available to any UK citizen for a nominal fee which proves your citizenship and therefore eligibility to work in this country.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    The Tories tried that and the lefties hated it.
    It was one of the best ideas because it could prove entitlement.
    • schmeophera
    • By schmeophera 19th Aug 19, 9:19 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    schmeophera
    I'm an old ffffffffellow, so I get a winter heating allowance, automatically, and never asked. I'm not rich, but I really feel that this one should be means-tested, and it's not even on the list.

Why can everyone enter a National Museum or Gallery not just put one pound in an entry machine?
    • savvysaver46
    • By savvysaver46 31st Aug 19, 3:10 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    savvysaver46
    When they stop allowing non UK residents having free NHS care and allowing EU workers here to send family allowance home to their family they can look at means testing. Why do you think all these migrants want to come here surely being in the EU means all countries offer the same benefits. Obviously not!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

657Posts Today

5,547Users online

Martin's Twitter