TV Licence article Discussion

Comments

• brig001
    brig001 Posts: 375
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What about the infrastructure we all use to watch the programmes we choose to watch? It all came from somewhere. The BBC is also at least partly responsible for a lot of the technical developments that have advanced TV to where it is today. I am happy to pay, but object to the heavy handed tactics used against people who don't need a TV license - I used to be one of them.
  • teddyco wrote: »
    The next time you turn on the TV THINK about what you are watching, imagine that 99% of your brain waves are doing nothing at that moment and then ask yourself how many of your thoughts are being programmed according to someone else's way of thinking?

Our thoughts and fears on global warming are all a result of what we see on the TV. We perceive that every street and byway of the UK is swarming with mindless thugs with knives because of a few stories on the news that get run into the ground.

We shop for our 'favorite' soap powder or biscuit because of what we see on TV. We smack or don't smack our children because of what TV said in Nanny 911 or some politically correct show on the BBC.

Watching TV today is really a bizarre Frankenstein experiment and I don't think many folks really think about what is being put into their brain as they sit and soak on all the garbage!

We complain about government 'spin', and that too comes largely through the TV and perpetuated and massaged by the media.

What would life in Britain be like if everyone turned off that stupid 'boob tube' and read a good book, went for a walk in the park, talked to their next door neighbor, played a game of monopoly with the family, or sat and helped their children with their school work?

Would our thinking about life and the world be different? Would it really matter that we had 100 channels or 1000 or if Gordon Brown was the worst Prime Minister in the history of this country?

Would the things that we perceive on the TV actually change because people were out changing them or just watching a fantasy of what they think exists on TV?

my thoughts too. modern day brainwashing. probably the the most powerful tool the govenment(s) and commercial industries have to 'control' the masses.
    suprised that no-one else has commented on your post, even if it deviates slightly from the licensing side of TV subject matter of this topic...

suprised no-one else has commented on your
  • zed_sump
    zed_sump Posts: 6 Forumite
    tv inspectors can't enter your home without a search warrant which they won't get (unless you're a pub etc)
    don't let them in
    2 friends don't have tvs in their houses and the inspectors have tried to enter many times.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    zed_sump wrote: »
    tv inspectors can't enter your home without a search warrant which they won't get (unless you're a pub etc)

I think you'll find that a pub landlord can refuse entry to anyone, without reason.
  • exprog
    exprog Posts: 413 Forumite
    brig001 wrote: »
    What about the infrastructure we all use to watch the programmes we choose to watch? It all came from somewhere. The

Apparently in those nations not 'blessed' with the sub-Marxist bbc it must have come from outer space by magic. Otherwise obviously nothing could possibly have been acomplished. The entire world is clearly dependent upon state-funded political propaganda organisations. Ha ha ha ha.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ambassador
    aknot wrote: »
    I dont understand why this thread is in DIY I mean you either pay or dont you cant build your own TV licence.

Anyway we are not alone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_license

Hello aknot

This board is called 'In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving'.;)

We have lots of threads about various subjects, they are not all about DIY or building.;)

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • John51
    John51 Posts: 45 Forumite
    A friend tried to get me to join a class at the citizens advice bureau where she was taking training. As it was just a numbers boosting excercise to improve their chances of funding I refused, a good enough excuse to avoid being bored for a few hours.

A few days later we got to talking about TV licences (I don't have a TV) and she was 'See I told you to come, we talked about this, you do need a TV licence if you have a computer...'.

After some probing it seems that the info they were giving out on this came from... yep, you guessed it, the tvl itself.
  • Stephenbw wrote: »
    Then there are an awful lot of nations without any pride:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_license

I would be quite happy to pay a license fee for all the freeview channels directly to the broadcaster rather than via the ads that fund commercial TV.

As for those who claim that they never watch or listen to anything broadcast by the BBC, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would choose to not watch something because it is on the BBC.

I choose the programmes I watch, not the channel.

Okay, you got me on that one.

But in the English speaking world we are now uniquely subservient,
    and not just in terms of the television license fee.:confused:
  • Maz
    Maz Posts: 1,405
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    zed_sump wrote: »
    my thoughts too. modern day brainwashing. probably the the most powerful tool the govenment(s) and commercial industries have to 'control' the masses.
    suprised that no-one else has commented on your post, even if it deviates slightly from the licensing side of TV subject matter of this topic...

suprised no-one else has commented on your

I've just dismantled my TV with a view to selling it and this was one of my considerations for doing it! (Along with the fact that I very rarely watch it anyway). I also rarely read newspapers.

I agree, governments don't like independant thinkers.
    'The only thing that helps me keep my slender grip on reality is the friendship I have with my collection of singing potatoes'

Sleepy J.
  • Reading Martins tip, it seems he is encouraging people to renew before the acutal time, to get a pre-increase discount.

Mine is due end of April this year. If I try to renew on their website using my credit/debit card, it says it is too early to renew ? do I have to wait 10 minutes before midnight on 31/03 ?
    :mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure