TV Licence article Discussion

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    JimArnold wrote: »
    Interesting that Martin repeats the TV licensing site that a student will need a separate license if they plug their laptop onto an aerial.

It has always been a requirement to have a licence if you plug into the mains but the aerial is a new one and does not seem to be covered by any legislation

I think Martin & JimArnold may have fallen for TV Licensing's double speak. You can have your TV/laptop/DVDR/PC plugged into the mains (you definitely don't need a licence for that !) and/or an aerial and as long as you don't watch it (live) you don't need a licence. The wording on the TVL website is very confusing - deliberately so ?

This is a strange area now because you need a licence to watch live TV on a mobile phone. I think at one time there were exemptions for small battery powered devices, but with the pace of modern technology, how long before the mobile phone with a 42" screen appeared on the market ?
  • I Pay For My Licence By Direct Debit, My First 6 Months Were Double And Then Went Down. I Am Therefore 6 Months Ahead. I Have Moved House 3 Times Since Setting This Up And Each Time My Licence Has Just Been Transfered. I Asked Tv Licence When I Get Back The 6 Months They Are ''looking After'' For Me And They Said Either When I Cancel My Licence( Imposible As Is Illegal) Or When I Qualify For A Free One (when I'm 65) 38 Years Away. Can Anyone Work Out How Much Interest Bbc Are Earning On My 6 Month License For 38 Years And How Much I Am Losing Out On. Will I Even Remember In 38 Years That I Have Already Overpaid, Who Knows. But The Bbc Certainly Seem To Know What They Are Doing!!
  • weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    as long as you don't watch it (live) you don't need a licence.

Sorry to be a pedant, and I'm sure it was just an oversight but as long as you don't watch it or record it as it's being broadcast, you don't need the license.
    The wording on the TVL website is very confusing - deliberately so ?

Absolutely. I bet there are a pile of people who've been tricked into buying a license they don't need because of the dodgy wording on the website and the letters they send out. And even more who've been bullied into it by threats of fines and visits.

It's shocking that they're allowed to do this. It should be transparent. All the website needs to say is:

"Do I need a license?

You need a license if you watch or record television as it's being broadcast."

Is that so hard?
    This is a strange area now because you need a licence to watch live TV on a mobile phone. I think at one time there were exemptions for small battery powered devices, but with the pace of modern technology, how long before the mobile phone with a 42" screen appeared on the market ?
    How big are your trousers? :eek: :rotfl:

It's not actually that crazy a thing to say, since they're developing devices the size of mobile phones with built-in video projectors. Just think how much fun public transport will be then, with neds projecting !!!!!! onto the ceiling... :rolleyes:
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • Emid_3
    Emid_3 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why is it that at least £2.41 of the monthly licence fee pays for Radio Stations & Websites, when the licence fee is paid for by TELEVISION USERS?!

I'm looking forward to the day that this unfair tax is scrapped. I NEVER watch or listen to anything the BBC produces, as I have Sky TV - however I still have to pay for it because I choose to use a television to watch programmes broadcast by other companies!

Public service my @rse......
  • Ice_2
    Ice_2 Posts: 3,486 Forumite
    I pay quarterly...:eek: sorry but it works for me...and if you watch tv get a licence it's that simple it doesn't matter what you watch just that you are watching it...if I have to have one then so does everyone else:eek: ...don't delay get one today...:)
    actually it really rattle's me when people say they haven't got one...there is just no need for it in this day and age....

Plans for 2009
    1/ Get fit. 2/ Get my figure back. 3/ Get the MAN BACK! :kisses2::happylove
    contrary to popular belief, I am all Woman.
  • Stephenbw
    Stephenbw Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 31 August 2016 at 12:47PM
    Then there are an awful lot of nations without any pride:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_license

I would be quite happy to pay a license fee for all the freeview channels directly to the broadcaster rather than via the ads that fund commercial TV.

As for those who claim that they never watch or listen to anything broadcast by the BBC, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would choose to not watch something because it is on the BBC.

I choose the programmes I watch, not the channel.
  • Stephenbw wrote: »
    Then there are an awful lot of nations without any pride:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_license

I would be quite happy to pay a license fee for all the freeview channels directly to the broadcaster rather than via the ads that fund commercial TV.

As for those who claim that they never watch or listen to anything broadcast by the BBC, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would choose to not watch something because it is on the BBC.

I choose the programmes I watch, not the channel.

I NEVER watch, listen or anything to anything the BBC broadcasts, I wish I could just subscribe to the BBC if you want to watch those channels, I think in this day and age we should be able to choose what we have to pay for with regards to the TV, I don't pay for the sky movies for example.

It's not that I choose to not watch anything BECAUSE it's on the BBC, it's because the BBC offers me nothing I wish to watch or listen to.

If it's a "TV Licence" then why doesn't the money goto all the channels instead of an out of date, out of touch TV company that spends money hand over fist on drivel. Maybe if they were supported by ads, then they'd be a bit more conservative with what they spend their money on.

Ah.... rant over :rotfl:
  • Stephenbw
    Stephenbw Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    cogder wrote: »
    I NEVER watch, listen or anything to anything the BBC broadcasts, I wish I could just subscribe to the BBC if you want to watch those channels, I think in this day and age we should be able to choose what we have to pay for with regards to the TV, I don't pay for the sky movies for example.

The logical extension of this is to pay for each programme, as there must be Sky programmes you are paying for but don't watch.

cogder wrote: »
    It's not that I choose to not watch anything BECAUSE it's on the BBC, it's because the BBC offers me nothing I wish to watch or listen to.

What on earth do you watch? The BBC has the broadest range of TV (and Radio) programmes of any broadcaster. I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that appeals to you.
  • JimArnold
    JimArnold Posts: 519 Forumite
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    I think Martin & JimArnold may have fallen for TV Licensing's double speak. You can have your TV/laptop/DVDR/PC plugged into the mains (you definitely don't need a licence for that !) and/or an aerial and as long as you don't watch it (live) you don't need a licence. The wording on the TVL website is very confusing - deliberately so ?

I haven't fallen for anything - but I suspect Martin has - I am currently on my 4th e mails to the TVL asking them where the legislation about aerials can be found Each time they quote about mains connections and totally ignore the question about aerials

When my eldest daughter was at UNi watching tv legally on her battery operated laptop the TVL man who knocked at the door knew nothing about the portable exemption and tried to threaten her with legal action. I eventually got a grudging apology from the TVL and a promise that they would revise their training. At first they maintained that their man was technically correct because you do need a licence to watch TV on a laptop or portable - its just that my licence covers all my familly who normally live at home

This is far from a trivila matter if you have 3 kids = say 10 years at University you can waste £1355 (at current rates)

I don't suppose there is much chance of BBC watchdog taking it up - how about Martin on ITV or Five ?
    TANSTAAFL !
  • Ice wrote: »
    I pay quarterly...:eek: sorry but it works for me...and if you watch tv get a licence it's that simple it doesn't matter what you watch just that you are watching it...if I have to have one then so does everyone else:eek: ...don't delay get one today...:)
    actually it really rattle's me when people say they haven't got one...there is just no need for it in this day and age....

in this day and age friend any person should not have to buy a tv from an outlet and then what will soon be an extra couple of hundred pounds to legally watch a channel.....Heres a thought when the UK is fully digital
    Option 1: Pay a lot of money for so many channels
    Option 2: Have the BBC scramble the signal for those who do not want to be forced to pay. Other channels do this already.

Everybodys is happyicon7.gif
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure