The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

House Deeds Change

My father has recently passed away leaving my mother with Alzheimers who I have full POA for in the house. The house was in joint names so I am in the process of obtaining a copy of the deeds so we can get the names changed.
Is it possible to have me added onto the deeds also alongside my mum? I thought as I am POA anyway it may be easier in the future.
There is no mortgage on the house and I am now the only child

Comments

• I would leave the house in your mums name. If she needs care in the future then putting it in joint names maybe seen as deprivation of assets to a avoid care home fees. You have POA which will deal with all you need to do anyway
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 21 October 2019 at 2:12PM
    Crazycez wrote: »
    My father has recently passed away leaving my mother with Alzheimers who I have full POA for in the house. The house was in joint names so I am in the process of obtaining a copy of the deeds so we can get the names changed.
    Is it possible to have me added onto the deeds also alongside my mum? I thought as I am POA anyway it may be easier in the future.
    There is no mortgage on the house and I am now the only child

That would leave you open to accusations of fraud, deprivation of assets, additional SDLT, endanger your mothers house if you got into financial difficulty, and provide you no benefits (though POA is all about HER benefits) I can think of, so what do you think would be easier?

p.s. why is this in the "cutting tax" forum? What tax are you thinking of?
  • It all forms part of the inheritance tax. Mum has ample in the bank so the house will never have to be sold. I was just trying to get a few things simplified
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    It wont simplify things nor cut inheritance tax unless you think she will live for more than 7 years?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,437
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    An LPA or EPA does not give you the authority to gift half the house to yourself, so don’t even think about it.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,138
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The house was in joint names so I am in the process of obtaining a copy of the deeds so we can get the names changed.

Are you saying that the house is not registered? You are going to remove your father's name so time for first registration?

https://www.gov.uk/registering-land-or-property-with-land-registry/register-for-the-first-time

Otherwise https://hmlandregistry.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/13/property-owner-dies/

If the deceased was a joint owner and the partner is still alive, you would normally just register the death with us using form DJP, along with an official copy of the death certificate. Probate is not required to deal with the property but may be needed if the deceased’s estate warrants it.

Your PoA does not give you the right to (in effect) gift yourself half of your mother's property.

Did your mother make a will when she had capacity?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure