NHS funded nursing care

Two questions.
Can anyone tell me when NHS nursing care contribution was introduced and do you have to have the care in a nursing home. Or can it be in your own home?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It can in theory be offered at home as well however as nursing care means nursing needs you would need to consider how those needs would be met and by whom.
    CHC tend to assume nursing homes as the default so you might have to fight quite hard for any alternatives.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Snowbird
    Snowbird Posts: 123 Forumite
    I think NHS continuing care can be offered at home. So NHS funded nursing care is different. But from the link it would suggest that nursing care contribution can only be paid in a nursing home. Am I reading this correctly?
    Any idea when this started?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/money-work-and-benefits/nhs-funded-nursing-care/
  • elsien
    This is a top up paid to the care home to meet the extra health needs. It won't be payable at home because it is specifically for the care home for the extra nursing costs on top of the social care already being provided.
    It's not payable for someone living at home.

More info here.

https://caretobedifferent.co.uk/have-you-considered-nhs-funded-nursing-care-fnc/
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• freddie2
    freddie2 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    CHC can be used to fund care wherever someone lives, be that at home or in a nursing home, so long as an individual is assessed as having a primary need for health care. It came into existence in 2007.
  • elsien
    freddie2 wrote: »
    CHC can be used to fund care wherever someone lives, be that at home or in a nursing home, so long as an individual is assessed as having a primary need for health care. It came into existence in 2007.

OP appears to be asking about the FNC top up for those who don't qualify for the full CHC funding.

• freddie2 wrote: »
    It came into existence in 2007.

CHC has been around for ages, according to what I am reading. I think people were just starting to talk about it then.
    It was the nursing contribution that I was wondering about, and when it started.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure