Is this acceptable from cabin crew?

Options

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    headpin wrote: »
    Not every single traveller can chose an aisle seat. And if the aisle seat was taken by a single passenger, then by definition the widow seat has to be too. So your advice falls flat!

Bottom line is that when you are a single traveller you need to demonstrate some courtesy and manners to your fellow passengers. Acting in a selfish, inconsiderate and arrogant manner is plainly not acceptable under any circumstance let alone in a confined space such as an aircraft cabin. If you want your own undisturbed space then the answer is to buy a Business or First class ticket.

Not every traveller needs an aisle seat. I can get out of a windows seat if the passenger next to me is sleeping. I don't need to wake them.
    The rest of your post is just a rant.
    There are more aisle seats than windows seats. I doubt that she did not have a choice.
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i would love to know what sleeping tablet he took. I have never managed to sleep on a long haul and would pay good money for one lol
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I guess your wife learned a valuable lesson.

As a frequent lone traveller I never book an middle or window seat on a flight longer than an hour or so, and i mean never to the extent of booking a different flight if no aisle seats are available. The thought of being trapped in, especially by strangers, plays havoc with my claustrophobia.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • onwards&upwards
    Options

As a frequent lone traveller I never book an middle or window seat on a flight longer than an hour or so, and i mean never to the extent of booking a different flight if no aisle seats are available. The thought of being trapped in, especially by strangers, plays havoc with my claustrophobia.

I always book a window seat, I hate being nudged by people moving in the aisle and like being able to look out. I also have extraordinarily good bladder control. ;)

Me and you could sit together quite happily!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    There are more aisle seats than windows seats. I doubt that she did not have a choice.

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. Every row with an aisle seat will also have a window seat, or at least a seat against the wall of the aircraft. There are generally 3 seats per section in economy so there are twice as many non-aisle seats as aisle seats.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 6 October 2019 at 9:46AM
    Options

Ditto.
    I will pay extra to book* an aisle seat at either end of the middle block of seats for exactly this reason. At my age I neither want to climb over a sleeping stranger or have one climbing over me! Nor to have to keep getting up to let someone out.
    I book a different flight if my preferred seat type is not available.

* yes, I know this is not guaranteed, but I’ve only once been moved because of a change of plane, and was given an aisle seat in the block by the window. On boarding, the man whose wife and child had been allocated the window and middle seat next to me asked if I would mind swapping - he had been given an aisle seat in the middle block, so that worked out fine :) (and I got a refund for not getting the seat I’d ‘booked’ :D )
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My bladder must be well behaved too as I was thinking how many times do you really need to go to the toilet in 11 hours.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. Every row with an aisle seat will also have a window seat, or at least a seat against the wall of the aircraft. There are generally 3 seats per section in economy so there are twice as many non-aisle seats as aisle seats.

Not in a wide body with 2 aisles ;)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you book an aisle seat you have to be prepared to allow window seat passengers to leave their seats. Similarly if you book a window seat you have to be prepared to inconvenience the aisle seat passenger to exit.

I would have thought that was fairly obvious.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    My bladder must be well behaved too as I was thinking how many times do you really need to go to the toilet in 11 hours.

When you are fed two meals + drinks, then for most people the answer is at least once.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure